• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 AL CENTRAL DISCUSSION

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romine with a whopping 6 career home runs in 852 plate appearances coming into this game. It takes a special kind of pitcher to serve up a GS to him.
MLB tested him for PEDs immediately after the game.

Seriously.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think only Boyd is overrated. Norris has good stuff and was a high level prospect. I think Fulmer will be a good number 2 SP but not a superstar. His stuff isn't that amazing but above average overall.
I think Fulmer will be a #3 type of guy. Which isn't a putdown.

And Boyd is a bullpen guy who can spot start. I don't really see him being a long term option in the rotation.

Norris imo could be a top of the rotation guy.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fulmer will be a #3 type of guy. Which isn't a putdown.

And Boyd is a bullpen guy who can spot start. I don't really see him being a long term option in the rotation.

Norris imo could be a top of the rotation guy.
Yes Norris has the most upside and has really good stuff for a left hander. But reaching his ceiling is a HUGE if.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now they are all doing fine, why look for a level they can settle to. Maybe the answer is how much can they improve. Pitching, speed and defense is what Comerica was built for.

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those quotes are from Baseball Prospecuts 2017.

Hey, who's Eric Milton?

The second and final pitcher to do what was at one point considered impossible--throw a no-hitter in the Metrodump.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander..sharp.....sale..mot as much
Dam rondon.....cost us a swept

Sale: 1.23 ERA (12th) 17 SO's (2nd) 0.68 WHIP (3rd) 14.2 IP (2nd)

Verlander: 1.35 ERA (14th) 13 SO's (13th) WHIP 0.98 (27th) 13.1 IP (10th)

Yeah, Sale... REALLY not sharp. Nice call, dingus.

Stay hot kid

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sale: 1.23 ERA (12th) 17 SO's (2nd) 0.68 WHIP (3rd) 14.2 IP (2nd)

Verlander: 1.35 ERA (14th) 13 SO's (13th) WHIP 0.98 (27th) 13.1 IP (10th)

Yeah, Sale... REALLY not sharp. Nice call, dingus.

Stay hot kid
Well, Rondon did cost us the swept.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I in team....verlander pitched more of a team game

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might. 0 This. Wow.
So. Watch out for tigers when he shows up

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam word spell ..grrrrr
Miggy.....0 RBIs

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think only Boyd is overrated. Norris has good stuff and was a high level prospect. I think Fulmer will be a good number 2 SP but not a superstar. His stuff isn't that amazing but above average overall.

Of all the posts on the three pitchers over the last few screens, I think I agree with this one the most. Minors-schminors... pitchers "bloom" at different times. Just because Boyd tore up the minors and Norris only had one great minor league season does not mean Boyd will be a better major league pitcher than Norris.

Norris worked extremely hard to improve himself. He also seems to have more mental moxie (or "heart" as Doug would say) than Boyd. Boyd has some great starts, then he'll start a game off badly and things really unravel. How many 2nd or 3rd inning exits has Boyd had vs. Norris? Norris is currently on a streak of something like 16 or 17 starts giving up 3 earned runs or fewer. The biggest two challenges with Norris have been staying healthy and going deeper into games.

Fulmer is also a fierce competitor. Your assessment of his stuff is accurate: above average, but not overwhelming. But I like his toughness, as demonstrated in yesterday's game. He gave up 3 early runs, but didn't get rattled. He settled down, retired the last 10 batters in order, and gave his team a chance to win.

Let's not forget, we acquired these three pitchers in deadline trades during a last-place season, for players we were not going to re-sign at the end of the year anyway (Price and Cespedes). If we get our #2, #3 and #4/5 starters for the next few seasons, it's a good haul.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an FYI -- As a prospect, Cameron Maybin was called the right handed version of Ken Griffey Jr and Andrew Miller was going to be Randy Johnson. Both 'can't miss' prospects we traded away to get Cabrera.

So, you feel that because Maybin and Miller were busts, that lends credence to your take that Boyd "will be a very, very good pitcher?" That's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second and final pitcher to do what was at one point considered impossible--throw a no-hitter in the Metrodump.

Which does more to tarnish no-hitters, than it does to polish Milton's ability to pitch.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It had to be done and it was the correct move, Myers wouldn't have helped the Royals in 14 or 15 win anything. We would have just done the Dye, Damon, Beltran cycle again.

A WS ring or Wil Myers? easy call
Totally agree. Doesn't stop me from wanting both.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you feel that because Maybin and Miller were busts, that lends credence to your take that Boyd "will be a very, very good pitcher?" That's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

It tells you that prospects are just that......prospects. No one knows how they will fare once they get into the MLB. How they will adjust to playing on the big stage, what changes they will make to better themselves.

No one thought Fulmer was going to be an immediate impact pitcher. He wasn't even Detroit's first choice in the trade. They wanted Zach Wheeler and settled for Fulmer. He got to Detroit, they added a changeup to his repertoire and he is the ROY with 3.03 ERA on the season.

The same goes for Boyd -- they tweaked his delivery and he went from throwing 90-92 and now he is throwing 92-94. They tweaked his changeup and instead of a show me pitch. He uses it to get swings and misses.

I am not saying Boyd is going to win a Cy Young or be an ace. I think he will be better than Norris and will be a guy who will give you a chance to win any time he pitches. I see him as solid #3 pitcher who will give you a sub 4 ERA.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of all the posts on the three pitchers over the last few screens, I think I agree with this one the most. Minors-schminors... pitchers "bloom" at different times. Just because Boyd tore up the minors and Norris only had one great minor league season does not mean Boyd will be a better major league pitcher than Norris.

Norris worked extremely hard to improve himself. He also seems to have more mental moxie (or "heart" as Doug would say) than Boyd. Boyd has some great starts, then he'll start a game off badly and things really unravel. How many 2nd or 3rd inning exits has Boyd had vs. Norris? Norris is currently on a streak of something like 16 or 17 starts giving up 3 earned runs or fewer. The biggest two challenges with Norris have been staying healthy and going deeper into games.

Fulmer is also a fierce competitor. Your assessment of his stuff is accurate: above average, but not overwhelming. But I like his toughness, as demonstrated in yesterday's game. He gave up 3 early runs, but didn't get rattled. He settled down, retired the last 10 batters in order, and gave his team a chance to win.

Let's not forget, we acquired these three pitchers in deadline trades during a last-place season, for players we were not going to re-sign at the end of the year anyway (Price and Cespedes). If we get our #2, #3 and #4/5 starters for the next few seasons, it's a good haul.

That tells you how little I follow stats. I just looked at Norris's numbers from last year. If someone would have said he had a 3.38 ERA last year. I would have said no chance.

Maybe it is all the games he had to leave in 5th inning because of pitch count that threw me off. He just seemed erratic and always seemed to have to work out of jams. If he can hone in his command -- he could be extremely good. The command part irks me as I hate pitchers that give up free passes.