• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 AL CENTRAL DISCUSSION

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your 3-4-5 hitters have 0 HR's, 4 RBI's and they are hitting roughly .200 between the 3 on the year and JD Martinez hasn't played as well. The fact the team is 5-2 (with one loss on the bullpen). I'd say the starting pitching has been stellar.

Which will perpetuate them being overrated.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers 3-4-5 hitters are batting .107, .231 and .158, with a combined 0 HR and 4 RBI. And the team is 6-2.

SMH

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers 6-2. Doug should be here declaring the AL Central "wrapped up".

Tigers are on pace for 121 wins. That might still fall short of Doug's expectations.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which will perpetuate them being overrated.
Did winning the rookie of the year perpetuate the overrating of Michael Fulmer? Personally -- I'm not a huge fan of Norris. He has the mid 90's fastball and the secondary pitches to be great, but he struggles with command. I think Boyd is going to be a very, very good pitcher. He throws strikes and mixes pitches -- he also hides the ball well so his 92-94 looks much faster.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers 3-4-5 hitters are batting .107, .231 and .158, with a combined 0 HR and 4 RBI. And the team is 6-2.

SMH
The Tigers have had every reason to be 2-6 instead of 6-2. They received basically nothing from Cabrera, VMart, Upton and JD Martinez (obviously). They have a bullpen that has done everything in their power to give games away. They have somehow found a way to get it done.

Once the bats come around in the middle of the order -- Detroit could be a scary team if they figure out the bullpen issues.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this Tiger team so far ... catching a good Boston team with the flu, some good starting pitching and an improbable grand slam ... those are the ingredients for a magical season. I'll take wins any way we can get them. This weekend series with Cleveland is looking bigger and bigger (maybe not from Cleveland's viewpoint). If we are successful against the big dogs from the division people will take notice.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Boyd is going to be a very, very good pitcher. He throws strikes and mixes pitches -- he also hides the ball well so his 92-94 looks much faster.

Boyd does not have a great fastball, but he used it far too often in two-strike situations and didn't locate it well. He has a wealth of other decent pitches (change, curve, slider), but most of the league, and especially righties, just wreck his bacon when he's throwing heat.

He's a back-end starter with an Eric Milton-style career as his best-case scenario.

Those quotes are from Baseball Prospecuts 2017.

Hey, who's Eric Milton?

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wil Myers hit for the cycle yesterday. Wish he was still a Royal. Although I think his trade gave us key pieces that led to a Championship. Still...

It had to be done and it was the correct move, Myers wouldn't have helped the Royals in 14 or 15 win anything. We would have just done the Dye, Damon, Beltran cycle again.

A WS ring or Wil Myers? easy call

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey, who's Eric Milton?

that was a quote from Da55bums, when the trade was announced "Boyd's numbers in the minors look like he will be a better major leaguer than Norris, Norris wasn't even a top prospect til one great minor league season"

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this Tiger team so far ... catching a good Boston team with the flu, some good starting pitching and an improbable grand slam ... those are the ingredients for a magical season. I'll take wins any way we can get them. This weekend series with Cleveland is looking bigger and bigger (maybe not from Cleveland's viewpoint). If we are successful against the big dogs from the division people will take notice.

You do understand that the season lasts until the end of September? Despite what doug says, no one wins a division (or scares anyone) on the 17th of April.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I see the Tiger's starting lineup this year, I have to rub my eyes to make sure I am seeing correctly. I recall that Vice predicted that the Tiger's DP combination would be Dixon Machado and Jose Iglesias.
....south of the border, down Mexico way....

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey, who's Eric Milton?

Well. I guess Detroit should let him go. Just an FYI -- As a prospect, Cameron Maybin was called the right handed version of Ken Griffey Jr and Andrew Miller was going to be Randy Johnson. Both 'can't miss' prospects we traded away to get Cabrera.

I will believe my own eyes. I have no problem eating crow if I'm wrong. I know I watch every single Tigers game and even though Norris was the 'highest rated prospect' we received out of Fulmer, Boyd and Norris. I think he is the worst of the 3 pitchers.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was a quote from Da55bums, when the trade was announced "Boyd's numbers in the minors look like he will be a better major leaguer than Norris, Norris wasn't even a top prospect til one great minor league season"

I rarely even look at minor league numbers other than walk rate for pitchers, because the quality of hitters is night and day. If they are wild in the minors though -- it isn't getting any better once you face MLB hitters.

IMO, I think Boyd is going to be a quality pitcher. His command of his off speed pitches keeps hitters off balance. I'm not saying he is going to be an ace. Just that he will be a guy who will have a sub 4.00 ERA and win his share of games.

I don't see that with Norris. He is too erratic. But when he is on-- he has three plus pitches. You never know what you will get though.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can any one break up the tigers??? Drove through western ohio..enemy territory....
Warm 77. Flashed the guns out the window to the babes. Great American ball park hard to get look at. Crazy drivers on that bridge. Beeping st me

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fulmer. Survived. Like a wise veteran...tigers are looking like the best starting pitching in AL CENTRAL

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between this team and last year's is that the SP is probably better situated and the Outfield defense which went from piss poor last year, to above average this year. This is why I still think we should trade JD Martinez. His defense is piss poor and he hasn't shown he can last an entire season but once. The hitting has been garbage but will probably improve as the season progresses, while the BP will regress and the SP will even out. I think this team can win 88-92 games best case, 78 worst case.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they're all overrated and ultimately won't be anything special.

Fulmer is laying a turd on the pitching rubber against the Twins as I type this.
I think only Boyd is overrated. Norris has good stuff and was a high level prospect. I think Fulmer will be a good number 2 SP but not a superstar. His stuff isn't that amazing but above average overall.