• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Trade Deadline Thread Including Monty Trade

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Bruce go against Jerry's philosophy of athletic and OBP?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure of my feelings for Bruce either. I look at him as an upgrade over Aoki, but at what expense? I would rather take a chance on Puig at a cheaper price (assuming). I don't think we are getting anybody so not concerned. I would still like a Paxton deal for some real prospect or two.

Not sure how much I'd like to deal Paxton. I really like his stuff and I think he has a really high ceiling if he can stay healthy and put it altogether.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be all for a Paxton deal if they get a solid package for him. My line of thinking is this trade deadline is all for setting up trades for the winter. The M's really don't have enough prospects to really try and make a meaningful deal in the offseason and as you guys have pointed out the FA market isn't really littered with guys who can put you over the hump.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much I'd like to deal Paxton. I really like his stuff and I think he has a really high ceiling if he can stay healthy and put it altogether.

I think Paxton might be one of these guys (Bedard) who teases but never lives up to type guys and if you hold onto him too long there might not be a Bavasi out there to rescue you in a deal for him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs and Rangers have both called the Mariners about Taijuan Walker and James Paxton, but Seattle hasn’t shown any inclination toward moving either pitcher. Wade Miley is more likely to be moved, and Heyman adds that the Mariners are still open to adding some pieces for 2016 and have checked into Angels righty Joe Smith, whom GM Jerry Dipoto signed while serving as GM in Anaheim.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Paxton might be one of these guys (Bedard) who teases but never lives up to type guys and if you hold onto him too long there might not be a Bavasi out there to rescue you in a deal for him.

That's my only issue with him. The Bedard comparison is actually quite fitting as Bedard had great stuff as well yet suffered from a lot of injuries.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my only issue with him. The Bedard comparison is actually quite fitting as Bedard had great stuff as well yet suffered from a lot of injuries.

Both physical and mental.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. I agree, wholeheartedly... Right now, Paxton is a great player to tragedy at this time... Paxton to Twins for Bruxton? :clap:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just say no to, Bruce. I'm disappointed that he wad even considered

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm... I like Cozart, solid glove with a decent bat. All around solid SS. Not sure how he fits into the Mariners and what reason exactly Dipoto is trying to acquire an arbitration SS when you got marte.

To get any real value in a trade Marte is a great chip if they add him to a deal with say Seager or Peterson since it appears DJ is a 3B not 1st anymore.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get any real value in a trade Marte is a great chip if they add him to a deal with say Seager or Peterson since it appears DJ is a 3B not 1st anymore.

DJ is still a 1B for us. He just played his first game as a 3B the other day because they were short handed...and Seager isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I agree that Marte is a great trade chip.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm... I like Cozart, solid glove with a decent bat. All around solid SS. Not sure how he fits into the Mariners and what reason exactly Dipoto is trying to acquire an arbitration SS when you got marte.

I kind of like Cozart. They (Reds) may prefer the younger, cheaper Marte in a deal.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ is still a 1B for us. He just played his first game as a 3B the other day because they were short handed...and Seager isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I agree that Marte is a great trade chip.

I was listening to Curto's pregame and he said that's what the plan was going to be with him as paraphrasing, he is more comfortable there. I don't know I haven't seen him or looked at the box scores so I could have misunderstood Curto.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get using Marte as somewhat a trade value boost, he has a lot of value, but it depends what Dipoto is trying to do this deadline. I don't think Dipoto views the M's as sellers or buyers more likely he believes they are somewhere in the middle. If he is willing to move Marte I hope that means he believes Drew Jackson, Torres or even Brigman are within 2-3 seasons. Jackson is probably the most likely to stay at SS (also one of my favs).

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of like Cozart. They (Reds) may prefer the younger, cheaper Marte in a deal.
I am sure they would prefer the younger cheaper guy. I was thinking the M's might prefer the same thing but Dipoto might like the idea of using Cozart as a spot holder while still getting decent play out of a SS while they wait for a prospect and use Marte as a deal sweetener for the time being.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Jerry views them as stock market sellers cause their payroll isn't set up that way but I truly think he should use this deadline as just a set up for the winter. The organization needs as many prospects as they can in order to make any moves in the winter to contend for a WS berth. This team is a few pieces away IMO just with the core they have a small window...not long enough for their current prospects, nor do they have the payroll flexibility to do a quick fix in the offseason and finally can't keep just trying to find cheaper free agents and hoping they all do well.

It seems like the past decade they've had few core guys and filled the team with guys praying they can replicate 2001 where every free agent or roster filler guy has a career year.

I still think they have enough vets on the team who other teams should want enough to swap above average prospects, not great ones, but enough to make the farm system at least viable to make some trades in the winter to get a solid 25 man roster for 2017.