• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Trade Deadline Thread Including Monty Trade

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brent Stecker ‏@Stecker710 12m12 minutes ago

And the @Mariners have made a trade. Joaquin Benoit to Toronto for Drew Storen in a swap of struggling relievers. Storen is 10 years younger

Despite being absolutely dominant from 2013-2015 (1.98 ERA 186 IP), I'm happy to see him go. He was going to be a free agent and has been pure garbage this year. Also at his age, I'm not sure how optimistic I'd be about him rebounding.

At least Storen has some upside despite struggling so far this year. Wow, didn't realize he was just as expensive as Benoit. On the bright side, they're both having very similar years and Storen is more likely to rebound than Benoit IMO.

This trade looks pretty much like a wash to me.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MarinersPR ‏@MarinersPR 16m16 minutes ago

#Mariners have acquired RHP Drew Storen and cash considerations from Toronto in exchange for RHP Joaquin Benoit.

Considerations? What does that even mean? How frequently do "cash considerations" actually come through? With Benoit and Storen being roughly the same price, I'd hope the Mariners would be able to save some money somehow from this trade.

I would've taken nothing and salary relief for Benoit at this point. More money to spend next year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, taking a quick peak at the 2017 MLB free agents, boy is that one steaming pile of shit on offense.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the available guys on offense:

2017 MLB Free Agents Tracker

Almost all of them have some sort of red flag, i.e. age, uncharacteristically great year, stadium, etc.

Jonathan Lucroy is one of the few I'd actually offer a market value contract to. But that's just after quickly scrolling through them. Cespedes and Prado are interesting though.

The pitchers look pretty shitty too. This has to be one of the worst free agent classes I can remember.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considerations? What does that even mean? How frequently do "cash considerations" actually come through? With Benoit and Storen being roughly the same price, I'd hope the Mariners would be able to save some money somehow from this trade.

From a contractual standpoint, each player is a free agent at season’s end. Benoit is earning $8MM to Storen’s $8.35MM this season, so the cash considerations that are exchanging hands in this deal are fairly minimal. In essence, the trade boils down to a swap of comparably priced assets that had faltered in a similar role despite lengthy track records of success — albeit with other organizations. Both pitchers were in the first season with their respective, now-former teams, having each been acquired in an offseason trade. Toronto sent Ben Revere to the Nationals in order to acquire Storen, who had spent his entire career to date in Washington. The Mariners picked up Benoit in a trade that sent minor leaguers Enyel De Los Santos and Nelson Ward to the Padres.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a contractual standpoint, each player is a free agent at season’s end. Benoit is earning $8MM to Storen’s $8.35MM this season, so the cash considerations that are exchanging hands in this deal are fairly minimal. In essence, the trade boils down to a swap of comparably priced assets that had faltered in a similar role despite lengthy track records of success — albeit with other organizations. Both pitchers were in the first season with their respective, now-former teams, having each been acquired in an offseason trade. Toronto sent Ben Revere to the Nationals in order to acquire Storen, who had spent his entire career to date in Washington. The Mariners picked up Benoit in a trade that sent minor leaguers Enyel De Los Santos and Nelson Ward to the Padres.

Interesting, thanks for that info.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MarinersPR ‏@MarinersPR 16m16 minutes ago

#Mariners have acquired RHP Drew Storen and cash considerations from Toronto in exchange for RHP Joaquin Benoit.
There is not much to love about this trade BUT most importantly there is not much to hate either. 234 mentioned earlier Storen is the more likely player to rebound which I agree with.

It also lowers the avg. age of the team to below 1,000 years old.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the available guys on offense:

2017 MLB Free Agents Tracker

Almost all of them have some sort of red flag, i.e. age, uncharacteristically great year, stadium, etc.

Jonathan Lucroy is one of the few I'd actually offer a market value contract to. But that's just after quickly scrolling through them. Cespedes and Prado are interesting though.

The pitchers look pretty shitty too. This has to be one of the worst free agent classes I can remember.
Yeah I was window shopping the potential free agents awhile back. There isn't much that gets me overly excited but there are a few pieces that could help improve the team. Of course the rest of the current season could dictate which path the M's take in free agency.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing with Storen is that he has blown balls since he was demoted as the closer. I hope it was just his pouting like Randy did but are they going to try to resurrect him as a closer or hope he cheers up about a role he hasn't seemed happy in. Either glad he is here so they aren't needing to put Diaz in the set up or closer roll to soon.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing with Storen is that he has blown balls since he was demoted as the closer. I hope it was just his pouting like Randy did but are they going to try to resurrect him as a closer or hope he cheers up about a role he hasn't seemed happy in. Either glad he is here so they aren't needing to put Diaz in the set up or closer roll to soon.
Diaz is the 8th inning guy now...might be closer next year

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaz is the 8th inning guy now...might be closer next year

But he won't be, the point of the trade IMO. Benoit couldn't cut it as the set up guy so they traded for him.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They won't replace Cishek with Storen as long as both are on the roster. But if Cishek were to get traded at the deadline then it may open up an opportunity for Storen to resurrect his closer status.

I'm fine with Diaz working in the set up role, I just rather not see him in the closer role until next season at the earliest. More of a mental thing than anything else.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 18m18 minutes ago

The #Mariners are among the teams that have reached out to the #Reds on Jay Bruce, baseball sources said.
Not a big fan of trading for him, he is having probably his best offensive season thus far so his trade value is probably higher than what he is actually worth. Personally I think getting Bruce would be repetitive, I think it doubles up on a Seth Smith type player. Bruce gives you more pop but higher K rates.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is not much to love about this trade BUT most importantly there is not much to hate either. 234 mentioned earlier Storen is the more likely player to rebound which I agree with.

It also lowers the avg. age of the team to below 1,000 years old.

Wasn't a huge fan of the Benoit acquisition to begin with. Despite his dominance prior to coming here, I've never a big fan of obtaining guys on the wrong side of 35. One of the reasons I wasn't crazy about the Cruz signing to begin with was his age (thankfully I've been completely wrong about that one).

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 18m18 minutes ago

The #Mariners are among the teams that have reached out to the #Reds on Jay Bruce, baseball sources said.

That's interesting.

Not sure how I feel about that. He was abysmal to say the least from 2014-2015. Prior to that he had a very good track record but that 2014-2015 stretch is a red flag for me. Not to mention his trade value is peaking right now due to him having a career year. If he could be had at a reasonable price I say go for it. But if it would take a lot to land him, I'd say stay away.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention Bruce is pretty shitty defensively. We can't put Dan Vogelbach, Dae-Ho Lee, Nelson Cruz and Jay Bruce in at DH.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention Bruce is pretty shitty defensively. We can't put Dan Vogelbach, Dae-Ho Lee, Nelson Cruz and Jay Bruce in at DH.

Not sure of my feelings for Bruce either. I look at him as an upgrade over Aoki, but at what expense? I would rather take a chance on Puig at a cheaper price (assuming). I don't think we are getting anybody so not concerned. I would still like a Paxton deal for some real prospect or two.