• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2016 Rose Bowl Thread #9 USC vs #5 Penn State 5PM EST

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember Big 10 fans crying about "home field advantage" prior to just a couple of years or so ago.

Is this some millenial snowflake thing? Or have they always cried about it, but now everyone can see it because of the interwebz? :noidea:
Then you haven't been paying attention. Going to the Rose Bowl to play teams who sometimes use the Rose Bowl as their home field has been talked about for years.

RTRdian

Broken Filter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC :yes: Now that was game, maybe one of the best I've seen all year.

Gotta give props to Penn State players. The sportsmanship when Adoree got injured was first class. Seriously we need to see more of that.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a bit I'm still amped from the game. Did you watch it. That may be the best game I've seen in a long time :suds:
I absolutely did. Holy hell, we're gonna be seeing that one on ESPN Classic for years to come. That's right up there with the 03 Fiesta Bowl, 06 Rose Bowl and 07 Fiesta Bowl.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do some of you bucknutters wish you had acquiesced to PSU the Playoff Spot, now after the fact?

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There ya go. Maybe the Big 12 or SEC would like a Rose Bowl tie-in?

One of the things I love about the Rose Bowl is all of the BIG 10 fans you talk to in the week before the game. I live down in OC and run into a ton of BIG fans around Disneyland, especially Downtown Disney. Those tourist spots are swarming with B1G fans, would be a shame if something happened to the tie-in.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do some of you bucknutters wish you had acquiesced to PSU the Playoff Spot, now after the fact?
Hell no. In retrospect, that game was the best thing we could have happen to us. It showed a ton of glaring weaknesses on offense that were festering, and Clemson's obvious experience advantage exploited every one of them. The snowball effect began this morning with us letting Beck go. Good luck with him UT. I hope Herman is planning on retaining play-calling duties.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely did. Holy hell, we're gonna be seeing that one on ESPN Classic for years to come. That's right up there with the 03 Fiesta Bowl, 06 Rose Bowl and 07 Fiesta Bowl.
I may need a day to recover after that. Im still in shock Darnold did not look like a red shirt freshman

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may need a day to recover after that. Im still in shock Darnold did not look like a red shirt freshman
Ya'll have a stud in Darnold, that's obvious. One thing I don't know, though, is how are you guys looking for next season?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya'll have a stud in Darnold, that's obvious. One thing I don't know, though, is how are you guys looking for next season?
Juju and Adoree said they weren't deciding until after the Rose. They did load up at wr last recruiting cycle.And Jack Jones who will eventually replace adoree anyway got a good amount of playing time this year. They are working on that Oline and Dline. Im liking the future of SC football. I was skeptical about the Helton hire but the players really do respond to him.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Juju and Adoree said they weren't deciding until after the Rose. They did load up at wr last recruiting cycle.And Jack Jones who will eventually replace adoree anyway got a good amount of playing time this year. They are working on that Oline and Dline. Im liking the future of SC football. I was skeptical about the Helton hire but the players really do respond to him.
That's a good thing. It's tough making a relative no-name hire like that, but if he surrounds himself with the right coaches and has a strong philosophy, things tend to work themselves out really fast. How about that kid that had the TD hat trick? Is he a senior?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good thing. It's tough making a relative no-name hire like that, but if he surrounds himself with the right coaches and has a strong philosophy, things tend to work themselves out really fast. How about that kid that had the TD hat trick? Is he a senior?
Burnett is only a sophomore. This is a fairly young team.Hs been huge all year. Pittman is going to be a great receiver too when his time comes. You can see the SC players want o play for Helton.When they bring him the ball after every turnover they create. Its a nice change to see them motivated

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burnett is only a sophomore. This is a fairly young team.Hs been huge all year. Pittman is going to be a great receiver too when his time comes. You can see the SC players want o play for Helton.When they bring him the ball after every turnover they create. Its a nice change to see them motivated
Damn, it's going to be fun watching them go at it with Washington next year. I'm not sold on Taggart at Oregon, Colorado was a nice story but I'm not sure they're built for the future, and UCLA is a perennial underachiever. USC and Washington seem to be the unquestioned class of the conference right now.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, it's going to be fun watching them go at it with Washington next year. I'm not sold on Taggart at Oregon, Colorado was a nice story but I'm not sure they're built for the future, and UCLA is a perennial underachiever. USC and Washington seem to be the unquestioned class of the conference right now.
It came real close to a rematch with Washingtonthis year.Just a little late on the QB change.And Utah champ just short against Colorado. Im not sure how many time she Utes failed to convert in the red zone during that game.And the fumble won the game for the Buffs

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you haven't been paying attention. Going to the Rose Bowl to play teams who sometimes use the Rose Bowl as their home field has been talked about for years.
Well then if the BIG 10 doesn't like to travel to California for the Rose Bowl, then don't accept the invitation to play in the Rose Bowl!!!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, people kept saying that USC needed a "name" coach. However, if you look back at our history, pretty much every "name" coach has failed. The 3 most successful USC coaches have been guys who had no prior head coaching experience or no college head coaching experience.

McKay and Robinson (the first time) had never been head coaches and Carroll had never been a college head coach. Heck, when Robinson was hired the 2nd time, he was a "name" coach and failed. Not an epic fail like Paul "Couldn't" Hackett, but he did fail and was ultimately fired.

Hopefully, Helton will be another first time head coach who succeeds at USC. The players love him and want to play for him. They actually had a players only meeting after the loss to Utah and put themselves in check by telling themselves that if they didn't get it turned around, they were going to lose the coach they begged the AD to hire.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never heard it before about 3-5 years ago. That includes me going to Rose Bowl games and talking to B1G fans.