• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Pirates

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our pitching is horrible. Hopefully this will change as the season progresses.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does McCutchen have such a hard time getting started and producing when season begins? If I remember he started slow last year as well. JW

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This lineup is hitting really well, outside of they usually lay an egg every 3 to 4 games. When Cutch stops sucking that should cease.

Also was that typical Locke or what? Gets totally shelled at a pitcher's park at Petco, then goes in and throws six shutout innings at Coors. Sure there was a broad strike zone, but I think they realized if it wasn't a broad strike zone this was gonna be a 5 hour game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This lineup is hitting really well, outside of they usually lay an egg every 3 to 4 games. When Cutch stops sucking that should cease.

Also was that typical Locke or what? Gets totally shelled at a pitcher's park at Petco, then goes in and throws six shutout innings at Coors. Sure there was a broad strike zone, but I think they realized if it wasn't a broad strike zone this was gonna be a 5 hour game.

I think the home plate ump was trying to single-handedly mitigate the Coors Field effect.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With our leadoff spot getting on base so well I fully expect McCutchen to start producing soon like Joyce did yesterday.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well McCutchen broke out of the slump in a big way!

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense bailed the poor pitching out again. Granted it was in Denver but still.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick Hits: Gallardo, Gomez, Murphy, Arrieta

He’s had a lot of leg injuries and I think it’s started to catch up with him,” the scout said. “He doesn’t steal many bases anymore and he doesn’t move as well as he used to in the outfield. I’m not ready to totally write him off but he definitely slipped last year and he’s been worse this year.

Remember when that one Brewer fan back at ESPN used to say Gomez was better than McCutchen.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hope we see an all-star game with McCutchen, Marte and Polanco in the OF together before McCutchen leaves. Most likely not all as starters, but all on the team and at least an inning of them all together.

There are a lot of special things with this current group. I try to keep that in mind as it wasn't too long ago that the team wasn't worth watching. I think the Pirates will remain a 85+ win team for the next decade, especially with the group in AAA and some of the guys in AA and A that should advance quickly. This period (2013-?) should be similar to the 20-year period from 1960-1979. Prior to 1960 the team was terrible similar to the team prior to 2013.

One thought on Meadows pushing most likely McCutchen (due to contract) is what if the DH does come to NL (seems like it is gaining momentum) and they extend McCutchen and create a rotation where McCutchen, Marte, Polanco and Meadows play everyday with one DHing. They all came up as centerfielders and are capable of playing multiple spots in OF. This should keep them all fresher also.

Marte is signed through 2021 (including option years) and Polanco through 2023 (including option years). McCutchen is currently signed through 2018. Add 3-6 years at roughly $25M/year to McCutchen's contract. I believe this is doable as revenue continues to increase plus they will have cheap years of Taillon, Glasnow, Brault, Kuhl, Broscan, Kingham, Bell, Hanson, Diaz, McGuire and Meadows along with the team friendly contracts to Polanco (2023), Marte (2021), Harrison (2020) and Kang (2019). Also, McCutchen seems to take care of himself which should allow him to be productive into his mid-30s.

I believe extending McCutchen is a lot more realistic than extending Cole. Plus it would make a lot of sense if the DH comes to the NL and McCutchen could take 2-3 days off from fielding and DH as he ages.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ They have the talent. I just hope the Pitching holds up over that time, especially if Glasnow, Taillon and Kingham pan out.

The only issue is with Cole will they be able to afford him aournd 2020 if they sign McCutchen?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NL Notes: Glasnow, d'Arnaud, Story, Rizzo
If it wasn't for super 2 status I think Glasnow would already be here.
Yeah Locke and Nicasio are pitching alright but Glasnow has the talent and upside.

Also Jared Hughes is back and Scahill was sent down.
Anything right now to help the bullpen.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NL Notes: Glasnow, d'Arnaud, Story, Rizzo
If it wasn't for super 2 status I think Glasnow would already be here.
Yeah Locke and Nicasio are pitching alright but Glasnow has the talent and upside.

Also Jared Hughes is back and Scahill was sent down.
Anything right now to help the bullpen.

Glasnow just had his best start, but before that, he was really struggling with his command. He couldn't throw his curve for strikes or his changeup basically at all. He did both in his last start. So if he continues that, then he'll be ready.

He did at one time have a lot of trouble holding runners, too. I'm not sure what kind of progress he's made there.

If he has taken an actual step forward, though, then he might be held down for Super Two. The only reason Taillon isn't up yet, on the other hand, is that darned hernia surgery. He's ready in terms of how he's pitching, he's just not built up yet.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I remember reading about Glasnow's control issues early in the season. Didn't know they were more recent, so that makes perfect sense to wait until after super 2.
As for Taillon looking at his numbers I think he will get called up after super 2 status after he is built up more.
Control isn't his issue 23:2 so's to walks but just lack of playing due to injuries.

Pirates to ease rehabbing Kang into action
Another reason I love the Freese signing gives them the flexibility to not rush Kang back into action.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I remember reading about Glasnow's control issues early in the season. Didn't know they were more recent, so that makes perfect sense to wait until after super 2.
As for Taillon looking at his numbers I think he will get called up after super 2 status after he is built up more.
Control isn't his issue 23:2 so's to walks but just lack of playing due to injuries.

Pirates to ease rehabbing Kang into action
Another reason I love the Freese signing gives them the flexibility to not rush Kang back into action.

In terms of effectiveness, Taillon can pitch in the Majors now. But yeah, he needs to be built back up and stretched out, and they need to make sure he's still got bullets for the end of the season. And it kind of stinks, because he would have been our #3 this season if not for the hernia surgery last year.

And Freese just in general has been a great signing. I think we'd be fine if we had to resort to him as our starter, honestly. He's steady if unspectacular in the field, and he turns in quality at bats.

When Kang is healthy, though, holy crap our bench will be spectacular. Just Freese, Joyce, and Stewart would make it excellent, but if Rodriguez remains committed to this new approach, he'll be able to add value with both his bat and his glove. Then we get to choose between an extra reliever, Cole Figueroa, or Jason Rogers for the last spot, and all of those are solid options for the 25th man.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally frustrating seeing them get beat up by the Cubs. I hope they figure them out before mid-season.