• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Patriots cuts and moves leading up to 53 man roster

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Amendola will start the regular season on the active roster. The Patriots didn't transfer him to the reserve/PUP list today as they trimmed to 53 players. However, without practicing a single time this offseason and summer, it's now up to Amendola to get ready as quickly as possible to get into a game.

The Pats' final two roster cuts were tight end Bryce Williams and defensive tackle Joe Vellano. Both were long shots.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How and why is Bolden still on this team? Decent ST player but so were others with what I think could actually contribute on offense. We already have Slater who's basically a ST player solely.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to wait and see how other teams shake down and who actually gets released. I've seen guys get cut and then resigned to the 53 man roster and guys who were not cut be let go on day 2 or 3.

Practice squad should be interesting.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to wait and see how other teams shake down and who actually gets released. I've seen guys get cut and then resigned to the 53 man roster and guys who were not cut be let go on day 2 or 3.

Practice squad should be interesting.
Do you think any chance BB takes a look at Forsett?

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forsett might be worth a look. Also, noted that Kenbrell Thompkins and Stevan Ridley were both cut loose. TB always had a good rapport with Thompkins and he knows the Pats' system. Ridley, if he has overcome his fumbilitis, also knows the Pats' system and he did run for over 1000 yards for the Pats once.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Forsett! No Ridley! No Thompkins1 - even though I like the kid.....

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Forsett! No Ridley! No Thompkins1 - even though I like the kid.....
I agree on Ridley and Thompkins but why not at least kick the tires on Forsett?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Ridley and Thompkins but why not at least kick the tires on Forsett?

30 year old, 5'8" RB coming off a major injury.
Time to find some younger stock. We have kicked a lot of 30 year old tires lately.....

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 year old, 5'8" RB coming off a major injury.
Time to find some younger stock. We have kicked a lot of 30 year old tires lately.....
Who do you suggest? I wanted Forte if they went FA or Prosise in the draft. Bill must've had a better feeling about Blount and Lewis and decided he didn't need a RB that bad? Forsett would be a platoon guy that's a known commodity. He's a decent runner, good receiver and protects the ball. Could be effective as a platoon guy in the NE offense.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you suggest? I wanted Forte if they went FA or Prosise in the draft. Bill must've had a better feeling about Blount and Lewis and decided he didn't need a RB that bad? Forsett would be a platoon guy that's a known commodity. He's a decent runner, good receiver and protects the ball. Could be effective as a platoon guy in the NE offense.

Tired of looking at old running backs.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poitential guys that BB might call....

WR Cecil Shorts
RB Andre Williams
OG Josh Sitton (3 Time NFL Pro Bowler)
OT Carter Byowski (6'7" 313 3 years experience at LT)
RB Ronnie Hillman
WR Chris Matthews

Just a reminder.......in 2013........Belichick made 15 roster changes between cut down day and the Saturday before the season opened. The 53 man roster today may be a heck of lot different by next Saturday night.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The New England Patriots were hoping that most of the players cut in the 53-man roster trimmings would be available to sign with the practice squad, or at least join the injured reserve.

It’s not going to happen.

The Philadelphia Eagles claimed 6th round pick LB Kamu Grugier-Hill, which is a major bummer for me because I was a big fan of his game. KGH is a great special teams player with upside against the passing game. He’s a little small to play against the run in the NFL, but he could find a place to grow with the Eagles.

The Chicago Bears claimed undrafted free agent rookie CB Cre’Von LeBlanc after getting a close look in joint practices with the Patriots. LeBlanc was expected to win a job with the Patriots, but a late hip injury opened the door for Jonathan Jones to win the final cornerback roster spot.

The New York Jets claimed sophomore 7th round pick CB Darryl Roberts, who was waived with the injury distinction by the Patriots. Roberts has a nose for the football on defense, but he had trouble staying on the field. He’s supremely athletic, so don’t be surprised if the Patriots see Roberts lining up for the Jets over the years.

The Patriots did not claim any players on waivers.

Here’s a list of the Patriots players that cleared waivers:

OL Chris Barker, Jon Halapio

WR DeAndre Carter, Aaron Dobson, Chris Harper, Devin Lucien

RB Joey Iosefa

TE Bryce Williams

ED Geneo Grissom, Rufus Johnson

DT Woodrow Hamilton, Joe Vellano

S Vinnie Sunseri

I would not be surprised if a few of these players found their way to the Patriots practice squad.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Harper signed with the 49ers (PS) We can claim him off their PS if we need him.....

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SANKEY!!! Been calling this from day 1, although I said trade...LOL.

I'll be honest, kind of pissed we let go of Hill and LeBlanc for guys like Freeny and J.Jones because they play ST. BB has a hardon for ST guys who take the place of better talent. So someone asked "why Bolden"? Because he plays ST.....Not liking the WR depth at all. We could be in some serious trouble. JE, Dola, MM, Hogan were all just hurt.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest, kind of pissed we let go of Hill and LeBlanc for guys like Freeny and J.Jones because they play ST. BB has a hardon for ST guys who take the place of better talent. So someone asked "why Bolden"? Because he plays ST.....Not liking the WR depth at all. We could be in some serious trouble. JE, Dola, MM, Hogan were all just hurt.

Not going to get into a pissing contest about cuts, but Hill and LeBlanc both had one major drawback........SIZE.
Hill is a LB and only weighed 230 lbs. After two weeks in camp he was down to 221 lbs. He'd be a perfect safety except he can't run faster than 4.7 sec. in the 40. LeBlanc is only 5'9", 5'10" in sneakers. Leblanc has excellent speed and terrific hands and plays man to man like glue. He can't cover Antonio Brown, Decker, Bryant or anyone else 6'3" or bigger who can jump. LeBlanc does not have a 38" verticle jump.

Belichick probably hoped that he bring both back do something unique but, other teams saw the raw ability and figured these guys were better than what they had. Good for them, they got half million dollar contracts and not $5K a week.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to get into a pissing contest about cuts, but Hill and LeBlanc both had one major drawback........SIZE.
Hill is a LB and only weighed 230 lbs. After two weeks in camp he was down to 221 lbs. He'd be a perfect safety except he can't run faster than 4.7 sec. in the 40. LeBlanc is only 5'9", 5'10" in sneakers. Leblanc has excellent speed and terrific hands and plays man to man like glue. He can't cover Antonio Brown, Decker, Bryant or anyone else 6'3" or bigger who can jump. LeBlanc does not have a 38" verticle jump.

Belichick probably hoped that he bring both back do something unique but, other teams saw the raw ability and figured these guys were better than what they had. Good for them, they got half million dollar contracts and not $5K a week.

Size??

Butler 5'11
Ryan 5'11
C.Jones 5'10
J.Jones 5'10
Coleman 5'11