• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots Final Roster - News, Cuts & Trades

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christian Sam. Rookie LB. I didn’t see him on the cut list or the current Patriots roster? Any news on him?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the breakdown. Sam is on IR.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Patriots announced today that they have released 26 players and placed four players on injured reserve and are now under the NFL-mandatory 53-man roster limit. The Patriots placed the following players on injured reserve: 2018 first-round draft pick OL Isaiah Wynn, sixth-round draft picks WR Braxton Berrios and LB Christian Sam and OL Ulrick John.

The Patriots released 26 players: DL John Atkins, P Corey Bojorquez, RB Brandon Bolden, OL Luke Bowanko, OL Cole Croston, QB Danny Etling, RB Kenneth Farrow, OL James Ferentz, LB Marquis Flowers, RB Mike Gillislee, DL Trent Harris, CB Cyrus Jones, OL Jason King, LB Harvey Langi, DL Eric Lee, WR K.J. Maye, WR Riley McCarron, DB A.J. Moore, FB Henry Poggi, OL Brian Schwenke, OL Matt Tobin, DB Damarius Travis, TE Will Tye, DL Vincent Valentine, RB Ralph Webb and CB Jomal Wiltz.

Atkins, 24, signed with New England as a rookie free agent out of Georgia on May 11, 2018. The 6-foot-4, 305-pounder played in all 15 games with 14 starts as a senior in 2017 and finished the year with 38 total tackles. was a key reserve as a junior in 2016 before earning a starting position as a senior in 2017.

Bojorquez, 21, signed with the Patriots on May 14, 2018. The 6-foot, 200-pounder averaged a school record 47.3 yards per punt as a senior in 2017. Bojorquez played two seasons at New Mexico after transferring from Cerritos Community College. During his two seasons at New Mexico, he totaled 116 punts for an average of 45.1-yards per punt.

Bolden, 28, is a veteran of six NFL seasons with New England after originally joining the team as a rookie free agent out of Mississippi on May 10, 2012. The 5-foot-11, 220-pounder, has played in 83 NFL games with six starts and has 216 rushing attempts for 912 yards with six touchdowns and 47 receptions for 373 yards and two touchdowns. In addition, he has 28 special teams tackles. Bolden has also played in 15 postseason games with two starts and has 12 rushing attempts for 46 yards with one touchdown and four receptions for 37 yards.

Bowanko, 27, was signed by New England on April 4, 2018. The 6-foot-6, 300-pounder is a veteran of four NFL seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars (2014-16) and the Baltimore Ravens (2017). Bowanko originally entered the NFL as a sixth-round draft pick (205th overall) of Jacksonville in the 2014 NFL Draft out of Virginia. He was traded from Jacksonville to Baltimore on Sept. 2, 2017, in exchange for a 2019 seventh-round draft choice. Bowanko has played in 40 NFL games with 15 starts during his NFL career, including 14 starts at center as a rookie in 2014 with the Jaguars. Last season with Baltimore, Bowanko played in 16 games with one start at left guard.

Croston, 24, was originally signed by the Patriots as a rookie free agent out of Iowa on May 5, 2017. The 6-foot-5, 310-pounder made the 53-man roster out of training camp and appeared in three regular-season games and the AFC Championship Game as a rookie. He was a healthy scratch for 13 regular-season contests as well as the Divisional Playoff and Super Bowl. Croston was a walk-on at Iowa, who combined to start 18 games at both left and right tackle over his final two seasons. He was an honorable mention All-Big Ten selection as a senior.

Etling, 24, was selected by the Patriots in the seventh round of the 2018 NFL Draft with the 219th overall selection out of Louisiana State. The 6-foot-3, 225-pounder served as a two-year starter at LSU after transferring from Purdue following the 2014 season. He started the final 23 games of his career at LSU and posted a 16-7 mark while passing for 4,586 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Farrow, 25, was signed by New England on August 27. The 5-foot-9, 219-pounder originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with San Diego out of Houston in 2016. He played in 13 games with two starts as a rookie and totaled 60 rushing attempts for 192 yards and 13 receptions for 70 yards. He sat out the 2017 season on injured reserve and was released by San Diego on April 13, 2018.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I'll play along.

Let's say NE could get him for next to nothing. Which is quite possible. Keeping in mind NEs limited cap space available. If not taking a flier on him, who would you bring in for the same cost?

He's a smart kid that has quicks. Sure he could continue to not meet expectations. But we've also seen NE turn guys like Edelman and Welker into pro bowlers. I'm not saying he's either of those players, I'm just saying when you have raw talent and NE finds what you do well it's a win for everybody.

Low cost with a possible high return.
Let me guess...Baylor fan?

Smart? The 10 on the Wonderlic and proven inability to pick up the offenses in Cleveland or Buffalo say otherwise. If he couldnt learn the Browns offense in three years how the hell is he gonna learn this one in 3 days?

I haven’t seen the full list of whose available yet but I’m confident I can find easily a half dozen guys I’d take over Coleman in a cocaine heartbeat. Markus Wheaton, Michael Floyd, Braxton Miller just off the top of my head. Coleman has fantastic natural ability. And zero ability to translate it into NFL production.

I was righ about Britt, Matthews, and Decker and I’m pretty sure I’m right about this guy, too.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there a limit to the practice squad size when every team has free access to sign players from another team's PS?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there a limit to the practice squad size when every team has free access to sign players from another team's PS?
The PS is the only way other than IR that teams can stash players. They have to have a booboo to make IR and the booboo can't be 100% fake.

The practice squad limit prevents third and fourth year players from being stashed. If you sign a guy from another team's PS he must be placed on your 53 man roster.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following not-yet accounted for Patriots reportedly went unclaimed: DT John Atkins, OL Cole Croston, RB Kenneth Farrow, OL James Ferentz, DT Trent Harris, DT Frank Herron, OL Jason King, DE Eric Lee, WR Devin Lucien, WR K.J. Maye, WR Riley McCarron, RB Khalfani Muhammad, FB Henry Poggi, DB Damarius Travis, WR Paul Turner, CB Jomal Wiltz. Expect some of them to get signed to the practice squad.

Riley McCarron signed with practice squad.

Guessing teams looking at Patriots receivers so thin that if you didn't make it on the team?????
Lucien holding out to be signed?
We don't need a Fullback or I'd sign Poggi.....
Eric Lee has gotten his chances?????

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me guess...Baylor fan?

Smart? The 10 on the Wonderlic and proven inability to pick up the offenses in Cleveland or Buffalo say otherwise. If he couldnt learn the Browns offense in three years how the hell is he gonna learn this one in 3 days?

I haven’t seen the full list of whose available yet but I’m confident I can find easily a half dozen guys I’d take over Coleman in a cocaine heartbeat. Markus Wheaton, Michael Floyd, Braxton Miller just off the top of my head. Coleman has fantastic natural ability. And zero ability to translate it into NFL production.

I was righ about Britt, Matthews, and Decker and I’m pretty sure I’m right about this guy, too.

No not so much a Baylor fan. The kid just has the over the top speed which I already pointed out. I said he's not the best route runner. NE doesn't need that right now. They need someone to keep the D honest. Hell watching pre-season I'm not sure TB12 can get the ball downfield anyway?

So we can agree to disagree on his ability. Give him a break he played for Cleveland and Buffalo that should alone get him a pass.

So NE signed WRs Chad Hanson from the Jets and Amar Darboh from Seattle:scratch:

At least Lucien and McCarron made the PS.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still hearing rumors that Bill ain't done. Seems that Brown is rumored to be on the block and the most likely landing spot is Detroit. The Lions are a mess and Patricia is going to struggle for at least two years, having a familiar body will help. The guys that BB signed to help the receiving are not going to help that much.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I am so happy for him and his mom. What a great story for a local lady that raised a great kid, Yeah his dad aint worth a pile of dogshit.

Sad to hear that about his dad.
Double kudo's mom then, my hat is off to her.

It is tough enough to raise kids today in a whole family, never mind single parent, divorce or otherwise.
POS dad is the worst.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots are indeed bringing aboard OT Eric Smith (Dolphins/Virginia) to fill one of the open spots on their practice squad, per a source. So with three o-linemen on the practice squad, and seven on the active roster, Bill Belichick likely views that as a workable number on OL.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MikeReiss

RB Brandon Bolden is in Miami preparing to sign with the Dolphins, per a source.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bolden has been a great team player. there was a time I thought he had more as a RB. After injuries, he was never the same as RB. Made the team for years a a ST'er.

I remember a joke about the "mendoza line" A baseball player that was a great shortstop that could not hit.
The Mendoza line was the bottom of MLB hitters. If your batting average was worse than his - you could not play in MLB.
"Can you imagine how good you would have to be to be the worst hitter in baseball for 13 years and still make the team?"

Mendoza Line - Wikipedia