• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, did anyone else see the report on the Cavs NOT BEING ABLE to sign James to a 5/$200 mil deal in 2017 because of a obscure rule?

Isn't this age discrimination? :lol:

James, the MVP of the 2016 Finals, could sign a two-year contract worth $56.3 million in July and opt out next season when he could sign a long-term deal with full Bird rights when the salary cap is projected to jump from $94 million in 2016-17 to $107 million in 2017-18. However, if James took that route, he is not able – under the current collective bargaining agreement – to a sign a five-year deal worth $200 million in the summer of 2017, three league executives told USA TODAY Sports. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the free agency period hasn’t started.

It’s because of an obscure clause in the collective bargaining agreement known as the “over 36 rule.” The rule is complicated, but in essence, it prevents teams from giving four- or five-year deals to players who are unlikely to play the life of the deal with no salary cap consequences.
15 hours ago – via USA Today Sports

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, did anyone else see the report on the Cavs NOT BEING ABLE to sign James to a 5/$200 mil deal in 2017 because of a obscure rule?

Isn't this age discrimination? :lol:

James, the MVP of the 2016 Finals, could sign a two-year contract worth $56.3 million in July and opt out next season when he could sign a long-term deal with full Bird rights when the salary cap is projected to jump from $94 million in 2016-17 to $107 million in 2017-18. However, if James took that route, he is not able – under the current collective bargaining agreement – to a sign a five-year deal worth $200 million in the summer of 2017, three league executives told USA TODAY Sports. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the free agency period hasn’t started.

It’s because of an obscure clause in the collective bargaining agreement known as the “over 36 rule.” The rule is complicated, but in essence, it prevents teams from giving four- or five-year deals to players who are unlikely to play the life of the deal with no salary cap consequences.
15 hours ago – via USA Today Sports

not sure. Isn't there some type of private business rule that would allow them to do this?

At some point, it will make sense for LeBron to sign another long term deal, but I am not sure he wants to give up the flexibility or the leverage.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure. Isn't there some type of private business rule that would allow them to do this?

At some point, it will make sense for LeBron to sign another long term deal, but I am not sure he wants to give up the flexibility or the leverage.

Oh, yeah.....He wants to keep his flexibility.

At most, I expect a Greg Monroe type deal.

Monroe will be able to opt out after this Season.

But, with guys playing to 40, I'm surprised they felt the need to make such a rule unless it's a way to circumvent the cap.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, yeah.....He wants to keep his flexibility.

At most, I expect a Greg Monroe type deal.

Monroe will be able to opt out after this Season.

But, with guys playing to 40, I'm surprised they felt the need to make such a rule unless it's a way to circumvent the cap.

I don't know.

There was a time about 10-12 years ago where something like 8 of the top 10 highest paid players in the league were no longer active. Guys like Allan Houston were making bank and had not played in like 2 years. I am guessing the rule is an attempt to avoid that.

Again though, if the owners avoid offering stupid contracts, they don't have that issue.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doobs made an announcement he and Clarkson were leaving so tHoop could heal. Some mini meltdown. Didn't come close to the Thumper manifesto.

LMFAO when was this?

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,766.11
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit like that used to bother me.

Now, I'm all :yawning: over cyber-racist.

Don't know what happened, or it that person is really racist.

But, It's easy to be brave behind a keyboard.

Fucker had a racist youtube channel and Doobs and Clarkson called him on it and he squealed, "stalker." I believe it, I've seen enough of Jeffro's rantings in the cesspool aka the PF.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,766.11
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tired......gonna crash around 8pm. When I wake up at 4:30am......free agency better not be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.