• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2016 Home opener: Phillies @ Mets (4/8-10)

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Series preview: Mets vs. Phillies

NEW YORK -- Hair we go … maybe!

Jacob deGrom is poised to start the New York Mets' 1:10 p.m. ET home opener on Friday against the Philadelphia Phillies, unless he gets a call from wife Stacey that she is going into labor with the couple's first child in Florida. Bartolo Colon would step in to oppose right-hander Jerad Eickhoffif deGrom gets late news and needs to be scratched.

upload_2016-4-8_10-8-42.png
Jacob deGrom is slated to start Friday's home opener against the Phillies unless his wife Stacey goes into labor in Florida.

The Mets will begin pregame ceremonies 30 minutes before the first pitch. Edgardo Alfonzo, John Franco and Rusty Staub will help raise an NL championship banner. Members of the cast of Broadway's "Hamilton" will sing the national anthem, which will be followed by an NYPD helicopter flyover. Members of the NYPD and FDNY who were injured in the line of duty in 2015 will throw ceremonial first pitches, with Mayor Bill de Blasio expected on hand. Gates open at 11:10 a.m. ET.

The Mets have not played since earning a season-opening split in Kansas City on Tuesday. They tried working out at Citi Field on Thursday, but rain drove them inside as soon as they took the field.

"The two off-days in a row, I think, really get some guys out of their routines," captain David Wright said Thursday. "But it's good to come in today, take some swings, get the workout in. I wish we would have been able to get on the field a little longer, take some ground balls and get used to the field."

Even though Noah Syndergaard, Steven Matz and Michael Conforto all participated in the World Series last year, this will be their first home opener. Matz actually still has rookie status in 2016. Neil Walker andAsdrubal Cabrera are poised to make their home debuts as Mets.

"It's amazing to think that with the experience that some of these guys have under their belts, they're still -- some of them -- rookies and some of them their first Opening Day," Wright said.

One of the keys to the Mets' success last season was their division record. The Mets went 14-5 against Philadelphia and 47-29 overall against the National League East in 2015. They were .500 against the rest of baseball.

The Mets went 49-32 at Citi Field last season. It marked their first winning record at home since 2010.

"I really believe we were more athletic than we've been in the past, and I think that helps out in our ballpark," Terry Collins said. "It's a big park. You've got to be able to go get the ball, and we did that. We pitched much better here than we have in the past. A lot of times that helps. We're just hoping we can duplicate it this year."

Said Wright: "What we did so great last year was take care of business at home. It will be a good test for us this weekend with a divisional rival coming in, a lot of emotion in the stadium. Guys are pumped to be here. Guys are ready to get the season under way and start playing every day. It should be a good atmosphere."

FRIDAY'S NEWS REPORTS:

• The Mets received NL championship rings during a private ceremony at Citi Field on Thursday morning. Retired Michael Cuddyer joined his former teammates. Rehabbing Zack Wheeler and Josh Edgin flew in from Florida. Governor Andrew Cuomo also spoke at the presentation. Read more in the Post, Newsday, Times and at NJ.com and MLB.com.

• Vince Piazza is not happy. Mike Piazza's father tells Kevin Kernan in the Post that his family hopes to step in and buy the Mets jersey that Piazza wore in the first game back in New York after Sept. 11 and donate it to the Hall of Fame. The Mets sold it a few years ago to a private collector. A source tells Kernan the Mets have no intention of spending the money to reacquire the jersey, which currently has a bid at $141,000 via Goldin Auctions. "My God, it's not right what is going on here," Vince Piazza tells Kernan. "That thing belongs in the Hall of Fame. It belongs to all the fans of baseball. That home run was so important, not only for New York, but for the entire country. When Mike hit that home run, it lit the whole city up again. The city was dark, and that turned the lights on again. It's a historic home run and I know how much it means to Mike."

• Read home opener previews from columnist Mike Vaccaro in the Post as well as a news story in the Post.

• Wright waited a long time for the Mets to be relevant again, columnist Steve Serby writes in the Post.

• Read more on deGrom's availability in the Post, Newsday, Record and atNJ.com and MLB.com.

• On Opening Night in the minors, Amed Rosario hit a walk-off homer in St. Lucie's 6-5 win against Jupiter. In its debut as a franchise, Columbia failed to protect a three-run lead in the bottom of the ninth and lost to Charleston, 5-4, when two runs scored on a rundown throwing error. Marc Krauss delivered a walk-off two-run homer in Las Vegas' 6-4 win against Fresno. Read the full minor league recap here.

• From the bloggers … Mets Report finds only one way to resolve the Piazza 9/11 jersey flap.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning Briefing: Bartolo Colon aims to catch Pedro Martinez on Saturday

NEW YORK (4/9)-- Bartolo Colon can achieve a significant milestone in his native country Saturday. He can match Hall of Famer Pedro Martinez for second on the all-time wins list among Dominican-born pitchers when theNew York Mets face the Philadelphia Phillies at 7:10 p.m. ET at Citi Field. Colon opposes right-hander Vince Velasquez.

Among Dominican-born pitchers, Juan Marichal ranks first with 243 wins, followed by Martinez (219), Colon (218), Ramon Martinez (135), Pedro Astacio (129), Joaquin Andujar (127), Ervin Santana (126), Jose Rijo (116), Miguel Batista (102), Ubaldo Jimenez (101) and Mario Soto (100).

Colon downplayed the potential achievement, noting he has 467 career starts to Pedro Martinez’s 409.

“It is still a great achievement, especially for all of us Latin American players,” Pedro Martinez countered in Spanish. “Those victories were enough for me to get into the Hall of Fame. Bartolo may not have the same numbers, but he has a great chance to be part of a very special group and become one of the Latin American pitchers to have won the most games in history. Hopefully he will continue well beyond 219. I hope he wins many more.

“I am very proud to have him mentioned along with me and Juan. It is an honor that there is another Dominican that was able to maintain the health and consistency necessary to play so many years in the big leagues and perform well, too. Bartolo is a great human being. He’s a great competitor. Very humble. And if I could wish someone to have his name mentioned next to us, I would say Bartolo is one of the first.”

Martinez added that he hopes Colon catches Nicaraguan-born pitcher Dennis Martinez, who amassed a Latin American-best 245 wins.

“I wish him so many blessings, and I hope he not only surpasses me, but also Marichal and Dennis Martinez,” Pedro Martinez said. “I already did what I was going to do in the majors, and I hope Bartolo continues to do his thing, and that he stays healthy. Above all, I hope that when his career is over he is satisfied and finishes healthy, as I did.”

SATURDAY’S NEWS REPORTS:

• Jacob deGrom had a complicated Friday while earning a win in his season debut. He departed after six innings with right lat tightness. His fastball velocity averaged 92.8 mph -- off last year’s 95.0 mph average. And he still is awaiting the birth of his first child. DeGrom intends to test the lat Saturday by tossing a baseball on flat ground. If he continues to have issues, Logan Verrett could step in for Wednesday’s start against the Miami Marlins. Steven Matz's lat strain last season cost him two months on the disabled list. Read more in the Journal and at NJ.comand MLB.com.

• David Wright is due to sit out on Saturday as the Mets strategically rest the 33-year-old captain on what is forecast to be a damp and cold night in Queens. Read more in Newsday and at NJ.com.

• Vince Piazza tells Kevin Kernan in the Post that the bidding to reacquire the jersey son Mike Piazza wore in the first game back after 9/11 has become too expensive and he will not be able to secure it. In online bidding via Goldin Auctions, the price currently is up to $151,000. “I was willing to pay $86,000, even go up to $90,000, write the check on the spot, and send the jersey to Cooperstown,” Vince Piazza tells Kernan. “But I can see what is going on here. This is just a bidding war. I’m not getting involved in that, so I’m out.” The Piazza family is upset the Mets sold the treasured item a few years ago.

• Columnist Bob Klapisch in the Record suggests the Mets are not panicking about deGrom’s injury, but they’re “not dismissing” something substantial being wrong, either. Columnist David Lennon in Newsday also tackles deGrom’s lat issue, plus his diminished velocity.

• Jeff McNeil homered and doubled and drove in both Binghamton runs in a 2-1 win against New Hampshire. Wuilmer Becerra delivered a two-run single in the eighth that pulled St. Lucie within two runs, but Champ Stuart followed with a bases-loaded groundout in a 5-3 loss to Jupiter. David Thompson and Vicente Lupo each doubled and scored in the top of the ninth to even the score, but Columbia lost to Charleston 5-4 in the bottom half when Witt Haggard surrendered a walk-off RBI single. Read the full minor league recap here.

• Mets icon Rusty Staub, who suffered a heart attack on an Oct. 3 transcontinental flight, helped raise the 2015 NL championship banner before Friday’s home opener. Afterward, the 72-year-old Staub told the Post: “To be truthful, I’m just kind of pleased I’m still around to watch it. I’m feeling fine. I’m not doing a whole lot of wind sprints right now, but I’m getting along. I’m alive. I’m moving around. I’m on the right side of the grass, vertical and moving.”

• Colon got the biggest cheers during pregame introductions Friday, Zach Braziller writes in the Post.

• The man who dresses as Mr. Met was snubbed for an NL championship ring, Brian Niemietz writes in the Daily News. “The organization created and distributed more than 750 rings. There were specific criteria for part-time and per-diem employees related to hours worked last season,” a Mets spokesperson told the newspaper. “He worked approximately half of the required hours last season, did not meet the criteria, and as such did not receive a ring.”

• The ex-Brewer Henderson has retired all six batters he has faced as a Met, including four via strikeout. ESPN’s Mark Simon tweets that Henderson has thrown 20 of 24 pitches for strikes, and 16 of his 19 fastballs have touched 95 mph. Read more on his resurrection in thePost and at NJ.com.

• Read more on Walker’s output in Newsday and the Daily News.

• Michael Powell in the Times writes that “expectations for an embarrassment of riches were happily met” by the Mets in the home opener.

• The Mets need to win 14 or 15 of their 19 games against the lowly Phillies this season, columnist Joel Sherman writes in the Post.

• 2015 is over, Collins notes to columnist Mike Vaccaro in the Post.

• Phillies manager Pete Mackanin called a baserunning blunder Friday “unacceptable.” Cesar Hernandez indicated he did not notice an infield-fly call before he was doubled off first base. Read the detailsin the Post.

• From the bloggers ... Mets Report recalls its favorite Opening Day memories.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NEW YORK -- Here are the lineups for Saturday's 7:10 p.m. ET game between the New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies at Citi Field.

Bartolo Colon (218) aims to match Pedro Martinez (219) for second on the all-time wins list among Dominican-born pitchers.

David Wright gets his first scheduled day off as the Mets try to guard against overtaxing his back.

New-York-Mets-Logo-108x70.gif

Curtis Granderson, RF

Asdrubal Cabrera, SS

Yoenis Cespedes, CF

Lucas Duda, 1B

Neil Walker, 2B

Michael Conforto, LF

Wilmer Flores, 3B

Travis d'Arnaud, C

Colon, RHP

Phillies

Freddy Galvis, SS

Cesar Hernandez, 2B

Odubel Herrera, CF

Maikel Franco, 3B

Ryan Howard, 1B

Cameron Rupp, C

Cedric Hunter, LF

Peter Bourjos, RF

Vince Velasquez, RHP

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NEW YORK (4/10)-- Here are the lineups for Sunday's 1:10 p.m. ET rubber game between the New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies at Citi Field.

The Mets have won eight of the past nine series against the Phillies.

Closer Jeurys Familia feels under the weather and may not be available on Sunday, manager Terry Collins said.

Mets

Curtis Granderson, RF

David Wright, 3B

Yoenis Cespedes, CF

Lucas Duda, 1B

Neil Walker, 2B

Michael Conforto, LF

Asdrubal Cabrera, SS

Kevin Plawecki, C

Matt Harvey, RHP

Phillies

Freddy Galvis, SS