• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did Cousins become a 3-point shooter?

He's averaging 4.2 attempts per game and hitting them at a rate of 40.8%.
Added it last year and was pretty good. Looks better this year although it's not a big sample size. I think it can stay around 35% over the season, hopefully closer to 40%. He's nearing the prime of his career and the franchise isn't much closer to contending now than when he was drafted, it's just sad.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Horford is out. I think at best we can keep it close for a half. Boston win by double digits
Personally I think Horford should quit being selfish and just bring the baby to the game.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about those Lakers? Another good win last night. Who knows? A playoff berth might be in the cards for them.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damian Jones being recalled from the D-League after just two games. I'm pretty sure he's not going to see any playing time, but they probably recalled him so he can practice with the team during this long home-stand. Positive from his last game was he had 4 blocks in 13 minutes. Negative was he also had 6 fouls. I'm not really banking on him making a difference this year, but not counting out the impact Ron Adams will have on him.

Also I was a huge nay-sayer in Javale McGee, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how well he's doing in his limited minutes. Really at this point it's not his fault if he gets the ball in the block and turns it over. His teammates should know by now not to give it to him there. For put backs and lobs, he's been exceptional. His work on defense has been great too. Now if we could only find out what sort of blackmail Varaejo has on Steve Kerr and be able to release him, we'd be in good shape for a mid-season pick up.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damian Jones being recalled from the D-League after just two games. I'm pretty sure he's not going to see any playing time, but they probably recalled him so he can practice with the team during this long home-stand. Positive from his last game was he had 4 blocks in 13 minutes. Negative was he also had 6 fouls. I'm not really banking on him making a difference this year, but not counting out the impact Ron Adams will have on him.

Also I was a huge nay-sayer in Javale McGee, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how well he's doing in his limited minutes. Really at this point it's not his fault if he gets the ball in the block and turns it over. His teammates should know by now not to give it to him there. For put backs and lobs, he's been exceptional. His work on defense has been great too. Now if we could only find out what sort of blackmail Varaejo has on Steve Kerr and be able to release him, we'd be in good shape for a mid-season pick up.
OMG!!!! I am with you- didn't think he'd make much of an impact on this team and boy was I wrong!!!

I don't understand why they won't give him more playing time. He's been exceptional on defense. You can tell that the opposing team doesn't go to the rim as often when he's on the floor. I love the fact he hustles down court on offense- he's motivated when playing with this group.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG!!!! I am with you- didn't think he'd make much of an impact on this team and boy was I wrong!!!

I don't understand why they won't give him more playing time. He's been exceptional on defense. You can tell that the opposing team doesn't go to the rim as often when he's on the floor. I love the fact he hustles down court on offense- he's motivated when playing with this group.

I think his playing time should be increased, but only slightly. The biggest problem with McGee, in my opinion, is mental fatigue. When he knows he's only going to be out there in 5-6 minute spurts, he can go hard, doesn't have to think and just knows his role on what to do. The longer he's out there, the more chances there are he reverts back to Shaq-tin Javale.

I'm pretty sure Kerr and his staff are aware of this. I think they'll kind of treat him like they did Mo Speights. Put him out there and if he's doing well, keep him out there a bit longer. If he struggles, give him a quick hook because it could get really ugly if they don't. When Mo was out there, you never knew what you were going to get. Same can be said of Javale.

Ideally, I would like to see 15 quality minutes of Javale a night. I think 20 might be stretching it. Anything more than that I fully believe it would be diminishing returns. The problem for the Warriors is figuring out what they're going to do with the rest of the minutes.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his playing time should be increased, but only slightly. The biggest problem with McGee, in my opinion, is mental fatigue. When he knows he's only going to be out there in 5-6 minute spurts, he can go hard, doesn't have to think and just knows his role on what to do. The longer he's out there, the more chances there are he reverts back to Shaq-tin Javale.

I'm pretty sure Kerr and his staff are aware of this. I think they'll kind of treat him like they did Mo Speights. Put him out there and if he's doing well, keep him out there a bit longer. If he struggles, give him a quick hook because it could get really ugly if they don't. When Mo was out there, you never knew what you were going to get. Same can be said of Javale.

Ideally, I would like to see 15 quality minutes of Javale a night. I think 20 might be stretching it. Anything more than that I fully believe it would be diminishing returns. The problem for the Warriors is figuring out what they're going to do with the rest of the minutes.
I agree about his mental fatigue. But I think if they start him over Pachulia they would see good return. The reason being is on most nights he can prevent a team from getting into rhythm in the paint early.

I also think it would be good development for JaVale at the same time. With that starting core there isn't a high expectation of him outside of defending & rebounding- and that's perfect for the reasons you mentioned. I don't think it would hurt to try- especially since there aren't set rotations yet. Just my thought though.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And Looney has been pretty good, too. With Pachulia being steady, Looney playing well, McGee providing rim protection and lob finishes, the Warriors current big men are arguably not much worse than Bogut and Ezeli. Who knows if Ezeli will even play this season? Bogut will probably continue to be on and off with injury problems like he has his whole career, and I think I read somewhere that he still hasn't made a free throw this season.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, agreed, but it's probably also physical fatigue, too. McGee plays a high energy, above the rim game that is probably hard to maintain very long for a man of his size.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Looney has been pretty good, too. With Pachulia being steady, Looney playing well, McGee providing rim protection and lob finishes, the Warriors current big men are arguably not much worse than Bogut and Ezeli. Who knows if Ezeli will even play this season? Bogut will probably continue to be on and off with injury problems like he has his whole career, and I think I read somewhere that he still hasn't made a free throw this season.

Yeah Ezeli's problem has always been getting and staying on the court. He still hasn't been able to do that this year either, so there's really no loss there. Bogut was as you said hit or miss.

Looney's been nice, but he's still basically a rookie. He needs more conditioning and seasoning before I really trust him with any significant minutes. He's still miles above McAdoo or Varaejo right now though, that much is clear. I think Jones will probably not get many minutes this year. It's really going to come down to Pachulia, McGee, West, Looney and Draymond to hold down the 5 position.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about his mental fatigue. But I think if they start him over Pachulia they would see good return. The reason being is on most nights he can prevent a team from getting into rhythm in the paint early.

I also think it would be good development for JaVale at the same time. With that starting core there isn't a high expectation of him outside of defending & rebounding- and that's perfect for the reasons you mentioned. I don't think it would hurt to try- especially since there aren't set rotations yet. Just my thought though.

Yeah I think the problem is, is that both he and Pachulia are at their best with the first stringers. Javale is better because of his simple threat of rim-running, it opens up a lot of looks from outside because the defense has to collapse. Also he doesn't have to do nearly as much with the big 4 helping to create for him.

Pachulia on the other hand, his passing is really valuable to the first unit to get their offensive continuity going. He does a lot of what Bogut did with the team and he's finally up to speed with them. If you put him with the second unit, you'll see him being less utilized as a passer with both Livingston and Iguodala on the court at the same time.

It's just amazing at what having good teammates will do for your game though. If they do decide to start Pachulia for the season, it would definitely be the safest way to go. Javale may have the most upside, but he also could bog the team down to start the game too.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Ezeli's problem has always been getting and staying on the court. He still hasn't been able to do that this year either, so there's really no loss there. Bogut was as you said hit or miss.

Looney's been nice, but he's still basically a rookie. He needs more conditioning and seasoning before I really trust him with any significant minutes. He's still miles above McAdoo or Varaejo right now though, that much is clear. I think Jones will probably not get many minutes this year. It's really going to come down to Pachulia, McGee, West, Looney and Draymond to hold down the 5 position.

I forgot about West, but yeah he's been solid, too.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
umm @Mecca what happened tonight?
Donald-Sterling-Clippers-Meme_14.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.