• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Plus, if tanking is such a great strategy...Why are there several teams who seem to be chasing lottery balls season after season?

Wiggy likes to try and use the Cavs as an example of why tanking works, but they are really the exception to the rule. Had Lebron not been from the area and had he not decided that he could possibly bring a title to the Cavs and stick it to Dan Gilbert at the same time (or if Bosh and D-Wade were a little younger), the Cavs are likely still exactly where they have been almost every season without Lebron.

The best way to build has always been through a combination of at least 2 of the 3...draft, FA and trades.
Bogut, Iggy, Livingston were essential to the Warriors title.

All trades and free agent signings.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its easy for me to say... but I'd much rather my team have a season like the Heat, competitive and entertaining right down to the last game and miss the playoffs... then have my team tanking and not watchable for half the season.

The lottery is a crapshoot anyway

Boom

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Kings finish with the 8th pick(pre lottery) and the Pelicans finish 10th. Hope the lottery balls don't screw the Kings out of one or both picks.
You're welcome.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every game the heat played meant something, There were compelling reasons to watch and hope for a win. If I was a Heat fan I would have been invested and interested throughout the season (especially post all-star break though).

If I was a Nets or Lakers or Suns fan, though? That would be really hard for me to be invested in this season. You can get excited about watching some of the promising players... but there's little reason to hope for a win or care about any given game. Little reason to even tune into most of the games.

Yes and no. As far as the Heat, I would have had a blast watching the Lakers have a season like theirs. I'm not even a Heat fan and I had a blast watching that team.

I can't speak to Nets and Suns fans, but i had a lot of fun watching the Lakers kids this season. There were, of course, times when they drove me crazy with their inconsistency and looking like they "just didn't get it" (especially on defense). But there were also a lot of games where they showed growth and I don't think they ever quit (something that couldn't have been said the previous couple of seasons).

I don't know as that they showed enough to actually land a top FA this off season, if they can even figure out a way to clear cap space (thanks Short Buss), but I think they definitely showed enough to pique some interest.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. As far as the Heat, I would have had a blast watching the Lakers have a season like theirs. I'm not even a Heat fan and I had a blast watching that team.

I can't speak to Nets and Suns fans, but i had a lot of fun watching the Lakers kids this season. There were, of course, times when they drove me crazy with their inconsistency and looking like they "just didn't get it" (especially on defense). But there were also a lot of games where they showed growth and I don't think they ever quit (something that couldn't have been said the previous couple of seasons).

I don't know as that they showed enough to actually land a top FA this off season, if they can even figure out a way to clear cap space (thanks Short Buss), but I think they definitely showed enough to pique some interest.
I think the Lakers are still at least a season or two away from attracting tier 1 or even high tier 2 free agents---- but adding a lonzo ball or a fultz or jackson- could change that pretty quick.

This offseason isnt quite as important as next offseason is to the Lakers in my opinion. NEXT offseason is VITALLY important to the Lakers. They need to make their move then before guys like Randle and Russell see their contracts blow up and go from miniscule to significant.

This offseason I would still put them in asset-acquisition mode------however, next offseason they need to make their move to add talent before Russell and Randle's contracts go from relatively small---- 5-8M a year--- to more like somewhere between 12 to 18 (depending on how they play next year) a year.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its easy for me to say... but I'd much rather my team have a season like the Heat, competitive and entertaining right down to the last game and miss the playoffs... then have my team tanking and not watchable for half the season.

The lottery is a crapshoot anyway
It's easier because you aren't trolling.

It's easier because you are using your head, not your heart.

It's easier because you understand that Tristan and Whiteside being perfect for their respective teams is not mutually exclusive.

Any Heat success is not an indictment of the Cavs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogut, Iggy, Livingston were essential to the Warriors title.

All trades and free agent signings.

Yep, as much as we like to hold them up as examples of building through the draft, it still took FA and trades to complete the team.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers are still at least a season or two away from attracting tier 1 or even high tier 2 free agents---- but adding a lonzo ball or a fultz or jackson- could change that pretty quick.

This offseason isnt quite as important as next offseason is to the Lakers in my opinion. NEXT offseason is VITALLY important to the Lakers. They need to make their move then before guys like Randle and Russell see their contracts blow up and go from miniscule to significant.

This offseason I would still put them in asset-acquisition mode------however, next offseason they need to make their move to add talent before Russell and Randle's contracts go from relatively small---- 5-8M a year--- to more like somewhere between 12 to 18 (depending on how they play next year) a year.
I think things will get interesting if Paul George doesn't get All NBA.

I don't think Bird would roll the dice. He might trade him mid Season.

But, would be send him to the Lakers?

If they had a lights out package, yeah.

If not, he's going to the Celtics.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who does Rudy Gay think he's fooling?

After the Parsons muck up, who would give him more than a 1 year deal?

No way does he opt out.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the thing is--- if hte Lakers dont keep their pick---- do they have enough ammunition to make an offer to the Pacers that would rival the Celtics offer- without giving up half their team?

thats a really shaky question.

Boston can offer a lot without fundamentally changing the core of their team--- the Nets NEXT pick, Jaylen Brown, and Marcus Smart would be a HUUUUGE offer- but it woudlnt gut the team and make their decision on who to sign between smart, thomas and bradley a lot easier.

If the Lakers keep their pick- and take say Ball---- they could then put together a package like Russell and Randle and a future pick or something----- but if they dont have Ball- i dont think they can afford to give up so much.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. Luke as coach, Magic in the FO and the fact that they did improve a bit, will pique some interest and get the Lakers meetings that they otherwise probably couldn't get. But Magic would likely have to perform some real magic to get anyone to sign, that is, if they could even create the cap space for it.

I tend to agree here too. This off season should be about getting all of their "ducks in a row" as an organization, continuing to develop their young guys, hopefully hanging onto the top 3 pick and making the right choice and at least getting the message out that they have gotten their shit together and can be back in the hunt fairly soon rather than be a perennial lottery team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easier because you aren't trolling.

It's easier because you are using your head, not your heart.

It's easier because you understand that Tristan and Whiteside being perfect for their respective teams is not mutually exclusive.

Any Heat success is not an indictment of the Cavs.

All of this explains why gordon gets so much respect here.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing is--- if hte Lakers dont keep their pick---- do they have enough ammunition to make an offer to the Pacers that would rival the Celtics offer- without giving up half their team?

thats a really shaky question.

Boston can offer a lot without fundamentally changing the core of their team--- the Nets NEXT pick, Jaylen Brown, and Marcus Smart would be a HUUUUGE offer- but it woudlnt gut the team and make their decision on who to sign between smart, thomas and bradley a lot easier.

If the Lakers keep their pick- and take say Ball---- they could then put together a package like Russell and Randle and a future pick or something----- but if they dont have Ball- i dont think they can afford to give up so much.
Agree.

Boston is loaded.

Hey, did you see Hennegin got fired?

Roster shakeup is coming....

For the Teams that miss on Hayward, I'd totally try to steal Fournier.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do they have a thread for every different series?

And where is the prediction thread?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

Boston is loaded.

Hey, did you see Hennegin got fired?

Roster shakeup is coming....

For the Teams that miss on Hayward, I'd totally try to steal Fournier.
Fournier is sadly prob. the best asset.

I wonder who gets the job there and what their approach will be. The cupboard is not exactly stocked. lol.

there are some interesting reclamation projects like Payton, Hezonja, Gordon etc.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It'll be very interesting to see.

Bird and Magic are great friends, but also great competitors and rivals.

So, if we had a scenario where he was entertaining offers from both the Lakers and Celtics and assuming he will try to get the best deal for the Pacers...

Would he be willing to accept a little less from the Lakers to send PG-13 to his friend and to a team that he only has to worry about competing with if they both reach the finals?

Or

Would the old Lakers/Celtics rivalry kick in for him where he would accept less from his old team, but be faced with competing against PG-13 all season long and possibly in the playoffs?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fournier is sadly prob. the best asset.

I wonder who gets the job there and what their approach will be. The cupboard is not exactly stocked. lol.

there are some interesting reclamation projects like Payton, Hezonja, Gordon etc.
Grant Hill is on their radar.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be very interesting to see.

Bird and Magic are great friends, but also great competitors and rivals.

So, if we had a scenario where he was entertaining offers from both the Lakers and Celtics and assuming he will try to get the best deal for the Pacers...

Would he be willing to accept a little less from the Lakers to send PG-13 to his friend and to a team that he only has to worry about competing with if they both reach the finals?

Or

Would the old Lakers/Celtics rivalry kick in for him where he would accept less from his old team, but be faced with competing against PG-13 all season long and possibly in the playoffs?
Forgot about them being in the same conference.

That's problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.