• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ah yes, the years it "didn't count"...:rolleyes2:

should they just wipe the record books clean in the time before then...?

No records were really records until the 1980 season. wiggy said so.

Reactions: TJL

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball was better in the 70s than it is now, all the NBA now is All star game defense and an in game 3 point contest and the whole fucking league is soft as the Charmin Ultra I wipe my ass with.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seriously

i just did my fantasy baseball draft for this league i have been in forever- and the Padres are as devoid of talent as any major league club i can remember in the last few years. Its staggering how bad they are. Easily the worst team in baseball and its not even close.

"Padres>Heat "---Wiggy

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I'm tired of waiting for the kids....it's fun to watch them develop but we need to make a major move forward....this is way worse than the days when Sedale Threatt was running the point for us.

I'm kind of enjoying watching the process.

And you watch yo damn mouf about Sedale Threatt. Loved that guy.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball was better in the 70s than it is now, all the NBA now is All star game defense and an in game 3 point contest and the whole fucking league is soft as the Charmin Ultra I wipe my ass with.
i dunno....

I think the 90's was without a doubt the worst. The 70's didnt even have the 3 pt line- I cant even watch that bullshit- its so freaking boring i want to stab my eyeballs out.

The 80's was a great era

but today right now there has never been more and better talent in the league as a whole. What the NBA now is simply an evolution of athletes getting bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, with better coaching, techniques, science etc.

I dont know if you are a big reader- but a pretty good book I read a while back was called "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. He does a number of analysis' in the book- (including coming up with the 10,000 rule). One of the more interesting ones is why Asian airlines had more accidents then Western Airlines. (which was an interesting analysis).

Anyway- one of the otehr analysis that he did was why Canada puts out so many great hockey players. I mean- on the surfae that is an easy question- they love the sport more than anyone else. But he really looks at the root causes---- youth leagues, coaching, etc....basically---- if you can play hockey in the country of Canada- they will find you- they will coach you up- and they will get the most out of you.

When you look at the NBA right now- a lot of the same principles can be applied--- mainly because of two reasons.
1. International players
2. the infrastructure of the college game.

In the 80's there were was barely any international talent in the league. Now- look at the league. All of a sudden you are importing dozens of highly skilled players.

Also- the infrastructure of the college game. 30 years ago- there were a lot less college programs that were top level and they did not scout as efficiently, or coach guys up as efficiently. Now- you can get A level coaching at dozens of more colleges. No one slips through the cracks anymore. I realize not all guys came from major colleges in the 80's- but now you have tons of guys that dont have to go through just the major programs--- and not only that- but you have colleges on the 2nd and 3rd and even 4th tier- spending big money on coaching, facilities, etc.- that was just not near existent back then.

The player pool that NBA teams derived their talent from in the 80's is miniscule compared to today's talent pool- and the resources put into finding these guys, coaching them up, developing them, keeping them away from injury is so much more advanced.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone want to venture a guess why Asian airlines had way more accidents than Western (American/European) airlines?...it had NOTHING to do with the equipment, planes, airports etc....

here is a big hint

it had to do with the co-pilots.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, no way in hell I"m reading any of that Wiggy
ill sum it up for you

todays NBA has by far the most talent ever because the available player pool has never been deeper- and the resources put into finding and developing these guys are astronomically higher than at any other time--- not to mention the incentives to become an NBA player are out of this world crazy.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we wager?
I'll take Celts even though Cavs win won't shock me.
ehhh i dunno- im not very confident in this game--- i think the Celtics have a lot more to prove/play for and the Cavs are on the 2nd game of a back to abck on the road where they have basically forfeited all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.