• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 starting pitching

Niner Empire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Giants work a trade with Seattle in the offseason sending Timmeh and 8-10M for a B level prospect?

Why would seattle do that deal? Thats about 8 mil too much for any team.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully hes not that good.

Since the ASG, he's 5-1, 2.47 ERA , with 64K in 62IP.

10-10 on the year, 3.61 ERA. 173K, good for 11th in the league.

He is getting better with a bullet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This convo has sparked up in the prospects thread, but it really belongs here...

Bum - Unquestioned Ace. He is one of the elite SP in all of baseball.

Cain - He is a question mark, until he gets back on the bump. I am confident he will perform at least at a #3 level, so I think we are good with him.

Hudson - He is having hip issues. Not sure what that means moving forward. He is useless to us now, but will the off-season make him better? Will he need to go under the knife? I have not idea what to expect from him moving forward.

Peavey - He is a FA, but I expect him back. He has a lot of mileage on his arm, so no telling how he will do moving forward. If he is back with no major additions, I expect him to open the season as our #2.

Vogelsong - He is consistently surprising us. He burst on the scene as an Ace out of nowhere, and put together 2 years at that level. Then he was an OK 5 in '13 and has been a good 3/4 in '14. I don't see him getting a contract from anyone for more than 1 year, and I think the Giants will be able to match any reasonable offer he gets. I can see him back at about 6M, maybe as high at 8M if all the stars align for him. He will likely start the year as the 4 or 5 (if he is back).

Petit - Don't rule him out. He was a high-ish prospect for the Mets and has a rather impressive resume for a 6. He should be back next year, and may actually start the season as the 5, with potential to actually be a 3.

Lincecum - I have no clue. He can hardly hold down clean-up duty. But there is no way the org cuts him in the off-season. That would almost be like the org firing Mays because he isn't teaching the kids right (he is, technically, an employee of the org -- he has a contract that lasts 5 years after his death). Some things are bigger than the game on the field, and Timmeh is in the status (for now). There is a very slight chance he starts the year as the #5, but things will either have to go incredibly bad, or incredibly well for that to happen.

Kids - Crick, Blackburn, Blach, Stratton, Heston, Kickham, Beede, Mejia - I think this is the complete list of kids who have a reasonable chance of breaking through in '15. Blackburn is probably the most advanced and the most likely to challenge out of ST (he wont challenge out of ST, though) I could see some of these guys traded in the off-season for a 3B, LF or SP, though (Beede can not be traded, by rule). Kickham and/or Heston may be DFA'd to make room for FAs or RuleV protections.

FAs - The class of the class is obviously Scherzer and Lester (in that order). After that, Peavey may be the man. We have been saying we should be able to sign him for 2/20 or 2/24, but I am not sure that is the case. He is not eligible for a QO, which actually increases his value. Other guys who may get some attention are Shields, Santana, Billingsley...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on Cain? I recall the initial prognosis was that there was a chance he could be ready for the playoffs, but I almost hope that is not the case. At least if he could be well enough to be evaluated soon, that might impact our urgency in resolving our SP issues in the offseason.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on Cain? I recall the initial prognosis was that there was a chance he could be ready for the playoffs, but I almost hope that is not the case. At least if he could be well enough to be evaluated soon, that might impact our urgency in resolving our SP issues in the offseason.

My understanding was he was for sure done for this whole year, which, as you say, is probably for the best. Maybe the reset will bring him closer to his production before 2013.

I don't think Cain is a ? for next year, he's all set to be ready to go opening day. How good he'll be is the ? of course, but we don't have to fill his slot. We have 2 open slots next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cain is on the 60. He is done for '14.

But bone chips is a relatively simple operation, IIANM.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This convo has sparked up in the prospects thread, but it really belongs here...

Bum - Unquestioned Ace. He is one of the elite SP in all of baseball.

Cain - He is a question mark, until he gets back on the bump. I am confident he will perform at least at a #3 level, so I think we are good with him.

Hudson - He is having hip issues. Not sure what that means moving forward. He is useless to us now, but will the off-season make him better? Will he need to go under the knife? I have not idea what to expect from him moving forward.

Peavey - He is a FA, but I expect him back. He has a lot of mileage on his arm, so no telling how he will do moving forward. If he is back with no major additions, I expect him to open the season as our #2.

Vogelsong - He is consistently surprising us. He burst on the scene as an Ace out of nowhere, and put together 2 years at that level. Then he was an OK 5 in '13 and has been a good 3/4 in '14. I don't see him getting a contract from anyone for more than 1 year, and I think the Giants will be able to match any reasonable offer he gets. I can see him back at about 6M, maybe as high at 8M if all the stars align for him. He will likely start the year as the 4 or 5 (if he is back).

Petit - Don't rule him out. He was a high-ish prospect for the Mets and has a rather impressive resume for a 6. He should be back next year, and may actually start the season as the 5, with potential to actually be a 3.

Lincecum - I have no clue. He can hardly hold down clean-up duty. But there is no way the org cuts him in the off-season. That would almost be like the org firing Mays because he isn't teaching the kids right (he is, technically, an employee of the org -- he has a contract that lasts 5 years after his death). Some things are bigger than the game on the field, and Timmeh is in the status (for now). There is a very slight chance he starts the year as the #5, but things will either have to go incredibly bad, or incredibly well for that to happen.

Kids - Crick, Blackburn, Blach, Stratton, Heston, Kickham, Beede, Mejia - I think this is the complete list of kids who have a reasonable chance of breaking through in '15. Blackburn is probably the most advanced and the most likely to challenge out of ST (he wont challenge out of ST, though) I could see some of these guys traded in the off-season for a 3B, LF or SP, though (Beede can not be traded, by rule). Kickham and/or Heston may be DFA'd to make room for FAs or RuleV protections.

FAs - The class of the class is obviously Scherzer and Lester (in that order). After that, Peavey may be the man. We have been saying we should be able to sign him for 2/20 or 2/24, but I am not sure that is the case. He is not eligible for a QO, which actually increases his value. Other guys who may get some attention are Shields, Santana, Billingsley...

We can push the league for a Designated Pitcher rule. It adds one pitcher to the 25, and he can only pitch against certain teams. We keep Timmah to face the Padres.