• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Season Prediction Thread

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Tech Red Raiders

Texas-Tech-University-CE8E6513.jpg

Preview: Sometimes you would rather have a terrible first year with a better second year instead of the other way around, which is what Texas Tech had. Last year was pretty close to a nightmare, I mean not much went right, Texas Tech suffered through injuries, turnovers and really flat out didn’t start out playing good, I mean at one point they gave up 82 points in a single game. The offense was pretty inconsistent, but started to play better later on. The QBs were off and on, especially Davis Webb, he got hurt late last year and Patrick Mahomes took over and had a lot of success including a near upset of Baylor in the finale. The RBs will be excellent, DeAndre Washington was a rare Texas Tech RB to top 1,000 yards last year and he is complemented by Justin Stockton who is capable of big plays, the offensive line will be one of the best units on this team. Receiver is a concern though, most of them had a tough time catching passes and getting open in general, Texas Tech needs their current starters to improve or for some new ones to develop. The defense was just horrific last year, let me repeat again they gave up 82 points in one game, the defensive line had some good pass rushers, but just struggled horribly on the interior. Linebackers will be helped with transfers and the return of Micah Awe from injury. The secondary struggled last year, giving up all sorts of big plays, but it was mostly true freshmen and one sophomore starting there so with experience they should be better. Texas Tech’s schedule isn’t an easy one they play one of the best FCS schools, UTEP who nearly beat them last year and Arkansas who will also be improved and of course the grueling 9 game big 12 schedule. For some reason I like this team to improve a lot of the starters are seniors, and they had been through a lot, I may not be having them improve near as much as they could, there’s some potential of a breakthrough not quite as good as last year’s TCU but close to that this year, unfortunately Texas Tech’s defense will be too bad for them to actually contend for a Big 12 title, I think they make a return to a bowl game.

Predictions:

Sept. 5 Sam Houston State: Sam Houston State is a top level FCS team, they hit their stride late last year in the FCS playoffs and are very dangerous, Texas Tech best be careful in this game, because this season could spiral out of control quickly with a loss, I think they win though. W

Sept. 12 UTEP: Texas Tech struggled against UTEP last year as UTEP was really the first team to expose Texas Tech’s weakness in defending the run, UTEP meanwhile is a strong running offense, so whether Texas Tech’s defense has made improvement in that department will be seen here, they will win, question is by how much? W

Sept. 19 @ Arkansas: Ok I’m not sure if I can forsee a strong enough improvement to stop Arkansas’ powerful rushing attack, they will run over Texas Tech in this game, Texas Tech would have to have a lot of success against Arkansas’ defense which does replace some starters, I can’t see that being enough. L

Sept. 26 TCU: Texas Tech will lose, but they should avoid giving up 82 points this time. L

Oct. 3 Baylor(Arlington): Usually these two wait until late in the year to play each other, but here they are, Baylor doesn’t get torched as badly by Mahomes this time, and Texas Tech loses. L

Oct. 10 Iowa State: Texas Tech beats Iowa State in a shootout here. W

Oct. 17 @ Kansas: Texas Tech wins this game in a blowout. W

Oct. 24 @ Oklahoma: Texas Tech test’s Oklahoma here with their good passing offense, but falls short of the upset. L

Oct. 31 Oklahoma State: Once again Texas Tech gets in a shootout that they fall just short of winning. L

Nov. 7 @ West Virginia: Finally a reversal of fortunes here, Texas Tech gets in yet another shootout but this time comes out with the win. W

Nov. 14 Kansas State: Texas Tech gets on a minor roll with a nice win over Kansas State. W

Nov. 26 @ Texas: Texas Tech’s roll ends here as Texas is also on a roll at this point, Texas Tech also hasn’t had much success against Texas since Michael Crabtree’s incredible game winning touchdown in 2008, wow I can’t believe that was 7 years ago. L

Record: 6-6(4-5)

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those two and West Virginia which will probably be previewed tomorrow, were not easy for me, I could easily see those teams doing better or worse than my predictions. They all will be very strong for their records though.

VFL1995

Vol For Eternity
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really enjoying all these. I have the Big 12 finishing as:
1. Baylor 12-0(9-0)
2. TCU 11-1(8-1)
3. Oklahoma State 9-3(6-3)
3. Oklahoma 8-4(6-3)
5. West Virginia 8-4(5-4)
6. Texas Tech 6-6(4-5)
7. Texas 4-8(3-6)
7. Kansas State 6-6(3-6)
9. Iowa State 2-10(1-8)
10. Kansas 0-12(0-9)

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Longhorns

pT5b7Lj8c.gif

Preview: Well it certainly has been a while since Texas was at the top of the college football landscape and in fact really this kind of slide they’ve been on since 2010 was almost unimaginable the year before, yet here we are, the 2009 season was the last time Texas was a contender in the national title race, and it will at least be another year before they do. The offense once again struggled last year, as it once again had troubles with QB play, Tyrone Swoopes started most of last year and is back again, he will try to hold off Jarrod Heard who is the more promising of the two candidates but with Texas trying to run a more up-tempo rushing attack perhaps Swoopes will have another shot, he is a good runner, but hasn’t been able to develop as a passer. Promising RB Jonathan Gray will be the full time starter at running back, Marcus Johnson is the team’s leading returning WR, and Texas will have to hope some of the young receivers develop behind him. The offensive line is more experienced and has more depth. The offense needs to certainly improve because Texas won’t have the top level defense they had a year ago to keep them in game, while defense should still be Texas’ strength there is a lot of great talent gone. The defensive line lost Malcolm Brown a first round NFL draft pick, but it is deep and experienced still, Brown will be tough to replace but they should still be good there. Linebacker is a concern for Texas though, but the secondary should be alright despite the loss of four year starter Quandre Diggs. The schedule Texas has is absolutely brutal, with only one easy non-conference game, the other two are against Notre Dame and what should be an improved California team. Improvement may be hinted by close losses to good teams this year, Texas won’t see much improvement in their record though.

Predictions:

Sept. 5 @ Notre Dame: This game will be pretty telling for how good both teams will be this year, Texas is a team that could exceed my predictions and if they do they will show it right here, but I think they will lose this game, Notre Dame’s defense will give their new offense a tough time. L

Sept. 12 Rice: Texas always enjoys feasting on Rice for an easy non-conference win. W

Sept. 19 California: California is set to make a big step up in their 3rd year under Sonny Dykes, Cal has tremendous success on offense in this game and Texas doesn’t have an offense that is ready to keep up. L

Sept. 26 Oklahoma State: Texas recovers to pull off an upset over Oklahoma State, after struggling with Cal’s offense the week before Texas frustrates Oklahoma State’s offense and wins. W

Oct. 3 @ TCU: Unfortunately this game will look similar to that of last year’s game, TCU rolls. L

Oct. 10 Oklahoma(Dallas) : Texas in this one will put up one of their better performances of the year, and they come so close to upsetting their rival but fall just short. L

Oct. 24 Kansas State: Texas has a bye week prior while Kansas State is coming off a big game against Oklahoma, logic you would think would say that Texas will win, but usually when these two play the only logic that holds is that Kansas State will beat Texas. L

Oct. 31 @ Iowa State: Texas struggles in this game, but escapes with a win. W

Nov. 7 Kansas: This is a much needed confidence booster, Texas rolls. W

Nov. 14 @ West Virginia: So far Texas has seemed to have the edge between these two, I’ll stick with that and say Texas wins in a close one. W

Nov. 26 Texas Tech: Texas continues a nice late season roll and beats Texas Tech. W

Dec. 5 @ Baylor: Texas will put up a good fight in this game but come up short. L

Record: 6-6(5-4)

Yeeeouchh!

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia Mountaineers

2650_west_virginia_mountaineers-primary-1980.png

Preview: West Virginia had a little bit of a rebound last year, after looking like a total disaster the year before Holgerson definitely had some improvement, and it was obvious from the start of the year when West Virginia threatened to pull what would have been a crazy stunner against Alabama, they were competitive in most of their losses and even upset Baylor, they still finished the year 7-6, such is life in the rigorous 9 game schedule of the Big 12, overall West Virginia was one of the better 7-6 teams in the nation last year. West Virginia’s offense was great for most of last year, but after a late season slip, QB Clint Trickett quit football due to concussions and that allowed Skyler Howard to take over the offense and once again the offense played well with him as the starter. Howard looks very promising as a starter, he didn’t throw a single pick in his two starts. The RBs are good Rushel Shell was great but then got hurt, and that’s when Wendell Smallwood took over and he performed good too, this is a very promising rushing duo with the two of them splitting carries. The receivers are a bit of a question with star Kevin White in the NFL now, but Holgerson seems to be optimistic about his replacements. The offensive line is a question despite 3 returning starters, so far some good candidates have emerged at the open spots at least. West Virginia’s defense made improvements last year, the one concern exists on the defensive line which failed to generate a good pass rush most of the time, which isn’t a good thing with all of the Big 12’s passing offenses. The good news is the linebackers and the secondary are stacked, the secondary bringing back all 5 starters. West Virginia did not get a favorable schedule, non-conference games against Georgia Southern and Maryland are tricky, but conference play features having to play 3 of the top conference contenders on the road, along with the always difficult Kansas State, West Virginia will be back in a bowl, and will most likely be better than their record, if there’s a team I underrated in the Big 12 this might be the team.

Predictions:

Sept. 5 Georgia Southern: Georgia Southern is a tricky opening opponent, they lost to their two big conferences foes by a combined 5 points last year, they were also easily the best team to not make a bowl due to not being bowl eligible, they also bring a very difficult to defend option attack, West Virginia still wins this game in a close one. W

Sept. 12 Liberty: Liberty led by the well known Turner Gill, is a tough FCS opponent, but West Virginia will handle them. W

Sept. 26: Maryland: Maryland is replacing a lot this year, and I think West Virginia won’t have much trouble beating them in this game. W

Oct. 3 @ Oklahoma: Oklahoma is tough to beat at home despite having more home losses than usual last year, I don’t see West Virginia pulling it off here, but they do put up a good fight. L

Oct. 10 Oklahoma State: West Virginia has a strong home field advantage and it shows here as they upset Oklahoma State. W

Oct. 17 @ Baylor: Tough game here West Virginia is unable to keep up with Baylor’s offense in this game, and they lose. L

Oct. 29 @ TCU: Actually just overall a brutal period of two games, West Virginia gives TCU a test but is unable to beat them. L

Nov. 7 Texas Tech: West Virginia gets surprised by Texas Tech in this game, West Virginia can’t put any pressure thanks to Texas Tech’s great offensive line, with Texas Tech’s QBs having a lot time to throw West Virginia’s secondary won’t have the easiest of days. L

Nov. 14 Texas: West Virginia has a tough time against Texas’ defense in this game, and loses in a low scoring game. L

Nov. 21 @ Kansas: West Virginia kicks it back into gear as they pummel Kansas. W

Nov. 28 Iowa State: West Virginia also blows out Iowa State. W

Dec. 5 @ Kansas State: West Virginia ends the year with a tough road trip, they lose in a close game. L

Record: 6-6(3-6)

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really enjoying all these. I have the Big 12 finishing as:
1. Baylor 12-0(9-0)
2. TCU 11-1(8-1)
3. Oklahoma State 9-3(6-3)
3. Oklahoma 8-4(6-3)
5. West Virginia 8-4(5-4)
6. Texas Tech 6-6(4-5)
7. Texas 4-8(3-6)
7. Kansas State 6-6(3-6)
9. Iowa State 2-10(1-8)
10. Kansas 0-12(0-9)

Thank you sir, I could see it finishing that way too, the Big 12 was probably the league I had a tough time predicting, I could see any of the top 8 having a great year

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12

1. Baylor Bears 11-1(8-1)

2. Oklahoma Sooners 10-2(7-2)

3. Texas Christian Horned Frogs 10-2(7-2)

4. Texas Longhorns 6-6(5-4)

5. Oklahoma State Cowboys 8-4(5-4)

6. Texas Tech Red Raiders 6-6(4-5)

7. Kansas State Wildcats 7-5(4-5)

8. West Virginia Mountaineers 6-6(3-6)

9. Iowa State Cyclones 5-7(2-7)

10. Kansas Jayhawks 0-12(0-8)

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stopped using logos for conferences because the dumb things become a red x really quick

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12

1. Baylor Bears 11-1(8-1)

2. Oklahoma Sooners 10-2(7-2)

3. Texas Christian Horned Frogs 10-2(7-2)

4. Texas Longhorns 6-6(5-4)

5. Oklahoma State Cowboys 8-4(5-4)

6. Texas Tech Red Raiders 6-6(4-5)

7. Kansas State Wildcats 7-5(4-5)

8. West Virginia Mountaineers 6-6(3-6)

9. Iowa State Cyclones 5-7(2-7)

10. Kansas Jayhawks 0-12(0-8)

Overall, nicely done.:thumb:

Only contention I have was the statement about Swoopes being a better runner than passer, which is actually the opposite of the truth.

However, they were so hard to watch I dont want to be too picky on someone else's views.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State Cowboys

OSUPistolPeteLogo.gif

Preview: What a dropoff Oklahoma State had last year, they started out 5-1 with a close loss to Florida State, and with that start it looked like Oklahoma State was a contender for the Big 12 despite some questions, well all those questions made themselves known and Oklahoma State lost 5 straight and suddenly were a road loss to rival Oklahoma from not going bowling for the first time since 2005, instead of that happening Oklahoma State went and stunned their rival on the road and made a bowl game where they upset Washington in the Cactus bowl and now after a long year last year Oklahoma State looks set for a return to the top of the Big 12. The offense last year struggled more than usual, but it played better when Mason Rudolph burned his redshirt thanks to an injury to Daxx Garman and he played great, now he looks set to be Oklahoma State’s first set starter they’ve had since Brandon Weeden. The running back position is a bit of a question thanks to Tyreek Hill’s arrest and subsequent booting from the team, the receivers were inconsistent last year outside of Brandon Shepard and James Washington, so Oklahoma State started using more tight ends and fullbacks last year, that could remain this year too. The offensive line returns 3 starters and brings in a good offensive tackle from UAB, so it should be improved. The defense could really decide how the season goes for Oklahoma State and that’s because it has to stay healthy, there’s talented starters but their depth is a worry. The defensive line returns playmakers on the outside, but the inside will need to be replaced, the linebackers are solid too, and Oklahoma State has a strong secondary. The schedule is very weak in non-conference play, but the challenge will again be Oklahoma State’s defense staying healthy because the challenges are in November, Oklahoma State also has a lot of tough road games against tricky opponents in the middle of the conference. There’s a lot of tripping points but if they can avoid them they host Oklahoma, TCU and Baylor the three biggest contenders for the Big 12.

Predictions:

Sept. 3 @ Central Michigan: What a weird game this is, good for Central Michigan though, in terms of the results Oklahoma State will win. W

Sept. 12 Central Arkansas: Central Arkansas will be decent in FCS this year, but they certainly won’t be a match for Oklahoma State. W

Sept. 19 UTSA: UTSA is in a major rebuilding effort, so Oklahoma State will roll. W

Sept. 26 @ Texas: Oklahoma State’s offense will see its first struggles against Texas, Texas doesn’t have as good of a defense as last year but they will give Oklahoma State fits, and Texas will have a good day on offense. L

Oct. 3 Kansas State: Oklahoma State struggles against Kansas State but comes out with the win. W

Oct. 10 @ West Virginia: This is a tough trip for teams in the Big 12, and Oklahoma State falls victim to it here in an upset. L

Oct. 24 Kansas: Oklahoma State has a bye week before this, they don’t need one to blowout Kansas. W

Oct. 31 @ Texas Tech: Yet another tough road trip for Oklahoma State against an improved Texas Tech team, but Oklahoma State escapes in a shootout. W

Nov. 7 TCU: Oklahoma State has had great success at home against TCU, but this is a different TCU team, Oklahoma State tests them but loses it barely. L

Nov. 14 @ Iowa State: Major stunner here, Oklahoma State gets caught looking ahead to Baylor, and is upset. L

Nov. 21 Baylor: Oklahoma State has dominated Baylor at home for the longest time now, I’ll have them pulling the upset here. W

Nov. 28 Oklahoma: Oklahoma State manages to upset their rival Oklahoma at home in this one. W

Record: 8-4(5-4)

You don't like us on the road this season.

Interesting stat-assuming no funny business Mason Rudolph will play the first four games of his career at away/neutral locations. I have no idea how many qbs can say that.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlotte 49ers

northcarolinauof-charlotte_athpmk01a_1946-1999_scc_srgb.png

Preview: Say hello to the Charlotte 49ers, they enter FBS for the first time this year. Charlotte overall is only in their 3rd year in existence as a football program, they went 5-6 in FCS last year, so they will certainly take their lumps this year, they will be in some fun shootouts along the way though, after all they lost 63-56 to The Citadel last year. The offense is actually pretty good and likely will be able to score on some of the defenses in Conference USA. QB could potentially be a battle this year Matt Johnson the starter played well but he got hurt at one point last year and his backup Lee McNeill played well in relief. RB Kalif Phillips is good but there’s concerns about depth behind him. Receiver will be a strong position as there’s a lot of depth there, the offensive line was very good last year but it will of course be interesting to see how they hold up against new competition. The defense on the other hand was very bad last year, it got absolutely shredded by FCS teams and with only one FCS opponent on the schedule this year they’re going to struggle to stop anyone again. The schedule would normally not be daunting but Charlotte went 5-6 last year without playing a single FBS opponent, in fact the opener against Georgia State is their first against a FBS opponent, they will have it rough this year, but they will adjust and improve soon enough.

Predictions:

Sept. 4 @ Georgia State: This is a winnable game to start out with this year, I mean the winner of this game will beat a FBS opponent for the first time in program history. Georgia State will be improved though this year so Charlotte loses this one. L

Sept. 12 Presbyterian: Presbyterian Is a team with the nickname “blue hose”, Charlotte will win this one. W

Sept. 19 @ Middle Tennessee State: Mid Tenn State will be towards the top of conference USA this year and they will win this. L

Sept. 26 Florida Atlantic: Charlotte will lose this one as they will have a difficult time stopping Florida Atlantic’s offense. L

Oct. 2 Temple: Temple will be able to score more than they usually do while Charlotte will be dominated by Temple’s defense. L

Oct. 17 @ Old Dominion: Charlotte gets a nice long period off, and with the bye week they will be able to get in an offensive shootout in this one but still lose. L

Oct. 24 Southern Miss: Charlotte loses this game as well. L

Oct. 31 Marshall: Charlotte will not be able to stop Devon Johnson at all in this game. L

Nov. 7 @ FIU: Charlotte still won’t be able to win this game. L

Nov. 14 UTSA: UTSA has a lot of rebuilding to do this year, so there’s a chance Charlotte could win this game, I think they fall just short. L

Nov. 21 @ Kentucky: Kentucky is a completely different team from anything Charlotte has seen before, this could get ugly. L

Nov. 28 @ Rice: Rice is towards the top of the conference, their offense goes wild on Charlotte’s defense. L

Record: 1-11(0-8)

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida Atlantic Owls

ab3678dd9c4ddf6eb7ae60ac08f3b88c9dd9d9c0_original.png

Preview: Florida Atlantic last year went with the unproven guy who was a good recruiter as their new head coach, and so far year one wasn’t so great for Charlie Partridge, no reason to judge too much yet though. At times Florida Atlantic had good games, beating Tulsa 50-21, they also beat Western Kentucky, but overall they were 3-9. The offense struggled last year it was towards the bottom of the conference, and that is despite having a good playmaker in QB Jaquez Johnson, he is back. The running backs are promising, but the receivers are a major question, with only one starter back. The offensive line is expected to improve with 4 starters back and transfer from UCF Kelly Parfitt taking the other position. The defense last year was alright, but very few starters are back. The majority of the starters back are on the defensive line. The linebackers have a big loss in Andrae Kirk who was a leader for the team last year, and the secondary has the biggest loss of all in star corner D’Joun Smith who was a rare talent for Florida Atlantic. Florida Atlantic’s schedule is not as bad as last year’s when they opened with Nebraska and Alabama. This year they have Miami at home and Florida on the road, but overall I’m not sure how much improvement they will make with the losses on defense.

Predictions:

Sept. 5 @ Tulsa: Tulsa will be improved this year and Florida Atlantic ends up losing to them in this game. L

Sept. 11 Miami(Fl): Rare home game against a big program for Florida Atlantic, but they will lose this game. L

Sept. 19 Buffalo: Buffalo will make some progress with a new head coach and they will beat Florida Atlantic. L

Sept. 26 @ Charlotte: With Charlotte transitioning they will have a tough time stopping Jaquez Johnson and the Florida Atlantic offense in this game, Florida Atlantic wins. W

Oct. 10 Rice: Florida Atlantic with help of a bye week gives Rice a tough time but still loses. L

Oct. 17 Marshall: Marshall outscores Florida Atlantic in this game. L

Oct. 24 @ UTEP: UTEP runs over Florida Atlantic in this game. L

Oct. 31 FIU: Florida Atlantic manages to beat their rivals in this game to get another win. W

Nov. 7 @ Western Kentucky: Western Kentucky’s efficient offense will be far too much for Florida Atlantic. L

Nov. 14 Middle Tennessee State: Florida Atlantic tests Mid Tenn State but loses this one still. L

Nov. 21 @ Florida: They will get blown out in this one, probably fail to score. L

Nov. 28 @ Old Dominion: Florida Atlantic struggles to stop Old Dominions offense in this one and loses another. L

Record: 2-10(1-7)

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't like us on the road this season.

Interesting stat-assuming no funny business Mason Rudolph will play the first four games of his career at away/neutral locations. I have no idea how many qbs can say that.

It's a tough road schedule, West Virginia especially will be a tough road game

Texas was more of a gut feeling call

and Iowa State was a big upset I called because they're neatly tucked between two of the biggest games of Oklahoma State's season

I had you guys as upset victims pretty often this year I'll admit

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough road schedule, West Virginia especially will be a tough road game

Texas was more of a gut feeling call

and Iowa State was a big upset I called because they're neatly tucked between two of the biggest games of Oklahoma State's season

I had you guys as upset victims pretty often this year I'll admit

It's fine. In 2011 we were on upset alert every week until Iowa State so you get used to it.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fine. In 2011 we were on upset alert every week until Iowa State so you get used to it.

LOL for all I know you'll win all those upsets I called and lose to Texas Tech

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long before Alabama schedules them?

They're 'NOT' FCS anymore. So you can forget about November.

Yes they're not eligible to play Alabama in November, FCS only teams for that

I'm sure they will still be on Alabama's schedule for their first game prior to SEC play shortly though