• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends upon what we give up of course, but Johnson is not good, and Upton is a one year rental who hates AT&T...

Johnson is not Pablo, but he's good enough - better than anything the Giants already have.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys on Intentional Talk right now seem convinced the Giants are going to get Scherzer.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they MUST go for Shields or Scherzer, I prefer Scherzer.

But I fear they will go after Scherzer to appease the on-the-edge-of-their-seat fans which would result in another Zito-contract.

That is the negative-nelly in me talking, though. IF we get him, I will be happy until there is reason not to be.

Signing both, however, would be nice. The second signing would only cost our second rounder, and I have no prob with that.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer Scherzer as well.

To me, Shields seems like he is being over-sold, at this point.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer Scherzer as well.

To me, Shields seems like he is being over-sold, at this point.

I have not heard any numbers attached to either, so I am not sure if they are being over-sold or not.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not heard numbers either....I mean it in terms of the "ace" or "#1" label. I think that ship has sailed for him.

I see him as more of a 2 or high 3........

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not heard numbers either....I mean it in terms of the "ace" or "#1" label. I think that ship has sailed for him.

I see him as more of a 2 or high 3........

Me too.

If they can get him for 2/3 $$, and on a 3-year deal (3/50-ish), I am good with the signing, but really only if they also get Scherzer because of the pick issue.

That would give us...

Bum
Scherzer
Shields
Cain
Huddy

That is a Championship-contending rotation

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man. Of all the SP's being thrown out, the last SP I want is Peavy

I'll sign a great SP who is 30, I'll sign a "meh" SP who is a No.5 (Vogelsong) because it's a short, low deal.

An average 30+ SP who will want solid money and 3+ years, no thanks

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll sign a great SP who is 30, I'll sign a "meh" SP who is a No.5 (Vogelsong) because it's a short, low deal.

I have seen rumors, but nothing more than that.

Is it a done deal?

:gaah:

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMHO, moving Petit from long reliever and spot starter to the starting rotation is a mistake with more negatives than positives. So if we have four starters (MadBum, Lincecum, Cain, and Hudson), can we hope for them as a group to achieve their average win total? More than that? Less than that?

For those saying equal or more, who is available that will not only "make us a contender" to get into the playoffs but also be someone that could achieve (ducking from potential lightening strike) "MadBumness"? (trying to signify greatness - I know - pretty feeble attempt)!!

In all honesty, the great thing about the three World Series wins is that we weren't the favorites (or at least I don't remember being the favorites). I remember when the only celebration was when we could eliminate the Dodgers from the playoffs. We have come a long way......

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO, moving Petit from long reliever and spot starter to the starting rotation is a mistake with more negatives than positives. So if we have four starters (MadBum, Lincecum, Cain, and Hudson), can we hope for them as a group to achieve their average win total? More than that? Less than that?

For those saying equal or more, who is available that will not only "make us a contender" to get into the playoffs but also be someone that could achieve (ducking from potential lightening strike) "MadBumness"? (trying to signify greatness - I know - pretty feeble attempt)!!

In all honesty, the great thing about the three World Series wins is that we weren't the favorites (or at least I don't remember being the favorites). I remember when the only celebration was when we could eliminate the Dodgers from the playoffs. We have come a long way......

Iirc, we were a dog in EVERY series in this streak. That us what adds to the wonderment of it all.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vogelsong pitched well most of the season. At one point, I remember that the Giants had been shutout in 8 of 12 starts for him.

On a one year deal, or even two, reasonable, I'd take it.

Still need a more sure starter, though. I don't mind Shields. I don't think even the Doggies have enough $$$ for what Scherzer wants. Didn't he turn down a $200 million offer from the Tiggers last year? Does he want Kershaw money?!?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson is not Pablo, but he's good enough - better than anything the Giants already have.

I dunno about that. My recollection of him is that he's a terrible 3b. I think Panik would be much better there (if we sign Cabrera), Duffy would be superior, and even EA would be better.

Johnson is a poison pill the Giants would have to swallow to get one year of Upton. He's a backup at best.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too.

If they can get him for 2/3 $$, and on a 3-year deal (3/50-ish), I am good with the signing, but really only if they also get Scherzer because of the pick issue.

That would give us...

Bum
Scherzer
Shields
Cain
Huddy

That is a Championship-contending rotation

Yeah, but they'll never do that. First, they won't be in on Scherzer and his $200MM contract. Second, they won't send Timmy to the bullpen.

Just won't happen. I think they get Shields though.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno about that. My recollection of him is that he's a terrible 3b. I think Panik would be much better there (if we sign Cabrera), Duffy would be superior, and even EA would be better.

Johnson is a poison pill the Giants would have to swallow to get one year of Upton. He's a backup at best.

Chris Johnson 2014 Batting Splits | Baseball-Reference.com

Part of the Johnson story is that he hits LHP well (.988 OPS last year), but can't hit RHP (.570 OPS last year). He has no glove (-1.3dWAR in 2014). He has some value as a platoon against LHP, or as a PH.

But, :omg:, that contract. $6/$7.5/$9.0 the next three years. Ugh.

MAYBE you could platoon him with Panik at 3B. Panik bats lefty, of course, and hits RHP better than LHP (.839 vs .655 OPS last year). But that's more forcing a solution than a true desired goal.

the-amazing-kreskin.jpg

"Brian Sabean! Listen to my voice! Sign Shields, Rasmus, and Kang!"

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Johnson 2014 Batting Splits | Baseball-Reference.com

Part of the Johnson story is that he hits LHP well (.988 OPS last year), but can't hit RHP (.570 OPS last year). He has no glove (-1.3dWAR in 2014). He has some value as a platoon against LHP, or as a PH.

But, :omg:, that contract. $6/$7.5/$9.0 the next three years. Ugh.

MAYBE you could platoon him with Panik at 3B. Panik bats lefty, of course, and hits RHP better than LHP (.839 vs .655 OPS last year). But that's more forcing a solution than a true desired goal.

the-amazing-kreskin.jpg

"Brian Sabean! Listen to my voice! Sign Shields, Rasmus, and Kang!"

I hear they are in on Fister, Prado, and Zobrist. And we'd keep the #19 pick.