• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Playoff Thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley is a dirty bitch. Hopefully he doesn't see another game.

That was truly awful. That play should be completely illegal, just like plays at the plate. And I wonder why Collins didn't challenge Utley being out because he never touched the base.

Also, wasn't that technically a neighborhood play, which we just saw in the Giants game that those plays aren't reviewable?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got home, so have not seen the play yet. But I was listening to the Mets broadcast in the car.

They said it was clearly a dirty slide, but for some unknown reason, dirty slides are not against the rules. As for the neighborhood play, it does not apply in this case because he was not looking so he was not attempting to avoid a collision. No neighborhood play was called, thus it was reviewable.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got home, so have not seen the play yet. But I was listening to the Mets broadcast in the car.

They said it was clearly a dirty slide, but for some unknown reason, dirty slides are not against the rules. As for the neighborhood play, it does not apply in this case because he was not looking so he was not attempting to avoid a collision. No neighborhood play was called, thus it was reviewable.

The throw took Tejada off the base, so neighborhood didn't apply.

Here's the slide:

Whoops! Sorry wrong slide!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least he took a knee to the noggin.

I don't like wishing harm on anyone, but this is one of the rare cases. I hope he has a concussion and misses the rest of the playoffs (AKA: next 2 games)

Wow. Tejada broken leg. Out for season.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's the slide:

That, my friends, is worthy of a suspension and a fine. And if the rules say this play is OK, then damn the rules and change them. This is horrible. The Mets' player was defenseless, and well away from the bag.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports today are different from what they were 40, 50, 60 years ago. There is no place for that kind of play in today's baseball.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That, my friends, is worthy of a suspension and a fine. And if the rules say this play is OK, then damn the rules and change them. This is horrible. The Mets' player was defenseless, and well away from the bag.

He won't be. The play was "perfectly" within the law. He could have touched the base, therefore he is safe from punishment. If he was out of reach from the base, THEN we would see action. Which is a travesty.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports today are different from what they were 40, 50, 60 years ago. There is no place for that kind of play in today's baseball.

:agree:

Unfortunately (for our 2011 season), Scott Cousins created the "Buster Posey" rule. Looks like Chase Utley created the "Ruben Tejada" rule.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

Unfortunately (for our 2011 season), Scott Cousins created the "Buster Posey" rule. Looks like Chase Utley created the "Ruben Tejada" rule.
This board has been arguing for this to happen since the Posey play. Makes no sense that it has never been addressed.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's the slide:

Tuned in to the game while driving just after this play and heard what the analysts were saying. They kept talking about all the replays they saw didn't show Utley touching the bag. Then they announced the call on the play was overturned! WHAT?!?!? How can the replay official get something like that so wrong? Utley doesn't even touch the bag, the attempt to take out Tejada was obvious and Tejada kept the ball in his hand for a good few seconds before he hit the ground. New York screwed that one up big time.

Yet another reason I'm glad that Utley didn't become a Giant. I have to admit that I had thought that the Mets should drill him good the next time he comes up to the plate (unless the game is on the line).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tuned in to the game while driving just after this play and heard what the analysts were saying. They kept talking about all the replays they saw didn't show Utley touching the bag. Then they announced the call on the play was overturned! WHAT?!?!? How can the replay official get something like that so wrong? Utley doesn't even touch the bag, the attempt to take out Tejada was obvious and Tejada kept the ball in his hand for a good few seconds before he hit the ground. New York screwed that one up big time.

Yet another reason I'm glad that Utley didn't become a Giant. I have to admit that I had thought that the Mets should drill him good the next time he comes up to the plate (unless the game is on the line).

It's a replay loophole. Since the umpire called Utley out on the play, and the replay overturned the call, Utley was awarded the base, no matter that he touched the base or not. Collins couldn't do anything to challenge.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is supposedly a rule that says that if a play goes to replay where neither the runner was tagged nor the runner touched the base, the runner is declared safe. I cannot confirm this rule exists, but there are reports of its existence.

Even if not, I understand the logic behind it. Utley was called out immediately on the field and the dogs did not appeal (throw the ball to the base and touch the base).

If you ask "How he can be called safe?), I ask "How can he be called out?".

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a good discussion of this going on the main board, btw...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is supposedly a rule that says that if a play goes to replay where neither the runner was tagged nor the runner touched the base, the runner is declared safe. I cannot confirm this rule exists, but there are reports of its existence.

Even if not, I understand the logic behind it. Utley was called out immediately on the field and the dogs did not appeal (throw the ball to the base and touch the base).

If you ask "How he can be called safe?), I ask "How can he be called out?".
Would not the fact that Tejada made contact with Utley, with the ball in hand, make Utley out?