• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 NFL draft

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also with the addition of Wheeler who can play ILB for us I dont feel it was a big need to draft an ILB. Now we have Bowman, Wilhoite, Wheeler, Moody, Bellore, Skov and Bishop at ILB. Im pretty sure 2-3 of these guys get cut.

On the O-Line we already know Staley, Davis and Boone are for sure starters. While Kilgore, Martin, Thomas and Pears fight for 2 spots. I feel we have good enough competition at the center and guard position and O-Line really wasnt a big need.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping to draft a least one CB as well but I can see why we didnt. We already have Brock, Johnson, Wright, Cook, Reaser, Acker and Ward as our nickel CB. I dont know why when Ifo was still on the board in the 6th we didnt take him though. We could of stashed him on IR and had him for the 2016 season. Cook and Wright will be FA next year so we would have room on the team for Ifo.

I wasnt a fan of drafting Armstead either but he is a perfect fit for our system. He might be a project but he has been compared to Cards Calais Campbell. Calais didnt show his potential until his 2nd year in the NFL.

Tartt was a big head scratcher in the 2nd round but I do like what I am hearing about him. I have heard 3 different comparisons from different NFL analysts. Some are saying he is a faster version of Kam Chancellor. Others compare him to Barry Church and Rodney Harrison. I would be excited if any of the 3 are true.

Harold was a huge steal. Most had him as a late 1st round pick and I have no idea why he fell but im happy he did. Eli actually reminds me of a faster but a little bit smaller version of Aldon. If he can hit the weight room and add on about 10-20 pounds of muscle he should be good.

Blake Bell is another project for us. Baalke was really excited about getting him. Trent said he usually never throws out comparisons to other players but he was saying he could be the next Jimmy Graham. This also interests me for trick plays. Since Bell did play QB at Oklahoma we could have some plays in the bag with him passing.

I agree with you on the Mike Davis pick I love it. He should give us great depth at the RB position so Hyde doesnt get overused.

Smelter has huge hands and good speed if he can bounce back from his injury. Im looking forward to seeing if he can takeover if Boldin does retire. It would of been nice to get a WR early but Parker went right before we picked in the 1st and DGB went a few picks before us in the 2nd. I guess maybe we could of went with Strong. I for sure wasnt a fan of Coates cuz of his bad hands.

If it is one thing I hate it is when analysts compare college players to NFL All Pros.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I dont get this talk about us be in a rebuilding mode just because we lost some top guys. We still have a QB than can be great and our last several drafts have been on depth and talent we could develop. It's time to see how some of that paid off. If it does then we're not rebuilding. We could even be getting better.

It's not as grim as many - especially in the national media - would have folks believe. The team is still very talented. We lost Iupati, but had a good replacement in the wings (whether Martin or Thomas ends up at the spot). We lost Willis, but get Bowman back. Borland was our fourth ILB going into last season (assuming a healthy Bowman). Wilhoite isn't great, but he played pretty well last year. We lost both starting CBs, but both were afterthoughts going into the season. We lost both starting corners and improved back in 2011. We lost our RB, and the heart and soul of our team, but we have a guy who may have been the best RB in the draft in 2014 and could be a better runner than Gore this year (he won't be the complete player, though). We lost McDonald, but we've been drafting at the position for years and have done well grooming talent at the position. We may lose Justin Smith, but added Dockett and Armstead.

There are major question marks, to be sure, but with a defense riddled with injuries (starting our fifth ILB, fourth OLB, third NT, fourth DE - because our third DE was starting at NT, and CBs I couldn't even name in our last game) and an offense that grotesquely underperformed and was basically invisible in the fourth quarter, we won eight games and should have won ten (genuinely fluky losses to STL and SD, not just the usual "we could have won that close game" BS). It will not be easy by any means, with a tough schedule and the division improving, but this team can be as good or better than it was last year. We will need Baalke's last few draft classes to step up in a big way to do so, though. If nothing else, it should be quite interesting to watch.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also with the addition of Wheeler who can play ILB for us I dont feel it was a big need to draft an ILB. Now we have Bowman, Wilhoite, Wheeler, Moody, Bellore, Skov and Bishop at ILB. Im pretty sure 2-3 of these guys get cut.

On the O-Line we already know Staley, Davis and Boone are for sure starters. While Kilgore, Martin, Thomas and Pears fight for 2 spots. I feel we have good enough competition at the center and guard position and O-Line really wasnt a big need.

ILB is not so very grim. That said, it's unclear we have two legit starters, and we're trying to replace a guy who will make a strong bid for the HOF despite retiring in his prime.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's not as grim as many - especially in the national media - would have folks believe. The team is still very talented. We lost Iupati, but had a good replacement in the wings (whether Martin or Thomas ends up at the spot). We lost Willis, but get Bowman back. Borland was our fourth ILB going into last season (assuming a healthy Bowman). Wilhoite isn't great, but he played pretty well last year. We lost both starting CBs, but both were afterthoughts going into the season. We lost both starting corners and improved back in 2011. We lost our RB, and the heart and soul of our team, but we have a guy who may have been the best RB in the draft in 2014 and could be a better runner than Gore this year (he won't be the complete player, though). We lost McDonald, but we've been drafting at the position for years and have done well grooming talent at the position. We may lose Justin Smith, but added Dockett and Armstead.

There are major question marks, to be sure, but with a defense riddled with injuries (starting our fifth ILB, fourth OLB, third NT, fourth DE - because our third DE was starting at NT, and CBs I couldn't even name in our last game) and an offense that grotesquely underperformed and was basically invisible in the fourth quarter, we won eight games and should have won ten (genuinely fluky losses to STL and SD, not just the usual "we could have won that close game" BS). It will not be easy by any means, with a tough schedule and the division improving, but this team can be as good or better than it was last year. We will need Baalke's last few draft classes to step up in a big way to do so, though. If nothing else, it should be quite interesting to watch.

I do want to add to this that losing the left side of our banner (Harbs, Gore, Willis, likely Smith) is going to hurt. We'll need Kap to step up on game days and otherwise if we're going to challenge the Hawks.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do want to add to this that losing the left side of our banner (Harbs, Gore, Willis, likely Smith) is going to hurt. We'll need Kap to step up on game days and otherwise if we're going to challenge the Hawks.

I think some in the media made a big deal of losing some of our aging veteran players who were on the decline and acted as if these players were in their prime. Losing some of them hurt, but there could be some upside. Iupati's replacement could end up being a better all around Guard than Iupati was before leaving.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is saying why did we draft Pinion if we have Andy Lee, but I see Pinion as replacement for Dawson.
Pinion can boot kickoffs, maybe you can train him to kick field goals.

If Pinion can keep opposing offenses start at the twenty, that's a plus. It's awfully hard for an offense to drive 80 yards against the defense, even without Borland and Willis. It comes down if Brock comes back healthy and Dontea Johnson can continue to improve.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We have 10-14 picks next year. Boone is probably gone next year, lots of vets with surgury, lots of depth with surgury If the coordinators can tweak our systems and the starters are healthy, the newer players are ready to go, the depth is ready to make plays. If Kaep can make the ProBowl we will be sitting pretty:)

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 10-14 picks next year. Boone is probably gone next year, lots of vets with surgury, lots of depth with surgury If the coordinators can tweak our systems and the starters are healthy, the newer players are ready to go, the depth is ready to make plays. If Kaep can make the ProBowl we will be sitting pretty:)
I think we resign Boone. We have so much money under the cap we will sign him. 49ers will have something like 30-35 mill under the cap after this year. right now we have about 6 mill, smith retires and Brooks gets cut that leaves us at 19 mill. Boldin contract is up that makes it 25 mill. VD is done makes it 32 mill and A. Smith makes it 41 mill. We will resign smith if good to about 10 mill brings us down to 31 mill. Throw in some of the 1 year guys and we will be around 35 mill. Re-sign Boone at about 5-6 mill a year and we are back down to 30 mill. I would ask boldin for 1 more year at 4 mill(somewhat like Gore offer). 49ers will be players in FA next year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Sure, if Kaep is one of the six or seven best QBs in the league, we'll be in great shape. I'm not holding my breath on that one at this point.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we resign Boone. We have so much money under the cap we will sign him. 49ers will have something like 30-35 mill under the cap after this year. right now we have about 6 mill, smith retires and Brooks gets cut that leaves us at 19 mill. Boldin contract is up that makes it 25 mill. VD is done makes it 32 mill and A. Smith makes it 41 mill. We will resign smith if good to about 10 mill brings us down to 31 mill. Throw in some of the 1 year guys and we will be around 35 mill. Re-sign Boone at about 5-6 mill a year and we are back down to 30 mill. I would ask boldin for 1 more year at 4 mill(somewhat like Gore offer). 49ers will be players in FA next year.

The $6 million we currently have does not account for rookie contacts, which will eat up most of that. At most we'd save around $8.5 million if J. Smith retires and we cut Brooks after June 1. It appears you are then removing current players' contracts from next year's cap. That's not how it works. Our cap situation this year is almost entirely distinct from our situation next year. Most of our current players will be making more money next year, so subtracting what we're paying Boldin this year does not equate to $6 million in cap space next year. The same is true of the rest of these guys.

If Aldon Smith plays well this year, he will get more than $10 million (unless you want to tell us again that Suh would only get $10 million/year because no one would pay him $15 million). Robert Quinn is making an average of $14 million a year. If Aldon gets back to 12+ sacks, that's a decent benchmark, probably with some sort of protections in place for off-field stuff.

The Niners will not have nearly the cap space next year that you are predicting, and they will continue to approach FA the same way they have for the past several years.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The $6 million we currently have does not account for rookie contacts, which will eat up most of that. At most we'd save around $8.5 million if J. Smith retires and we cut Brooks after June 1. It appears you are then removing current players' contracts from next year's cap. That's not how it works. Our cap situation this year is almost entirely distinct from our situation next year. Most of our current players will be making more money next year, so subtracting what we're paying Boldin this year does not equate to $6 million in cap space next year. The same is true of the rest of these guys.

If Aldon Smith plays well this year, he will get more than $10 million (unless you want to tell us again that Suh would only get $10 million/year because no one would pay him $15 million). Robert Quinn is making an average of $14 million a year. If Aldon gets back to 12+ sacks, that's a decent benchmark, probably with some sort of protections in place for off-field stuff.

The Niners will not have nearly the cap space next year that you are predicting, and they will continue to approach FA the same way they have for the past several years.
I say 10 million because the 49ers have stuck by his side and he already said he would take a discount. To be safe we can say he will make 10-12 mill. I was right about Suh just didn't know some dumb GM would give him that most. The 2nd best offer was the Lions at like 12 mill. So I said 10-12 mill and I was close. Miami became the Raiders by throwing crazy money at a player well above player value.

Still 49ers will have lots of money to play with. Im fired up. they were talking about it on 49ers TV. Depending on who you think they will resign 49ers will have about 25-30 mill to spend after they sign their own guys. Should be fun.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well according to San Francisco 49ers Salary Cap Calculator | Over The Cap 49ers are 34.4 million under next years cap. Here is the list of next years free agents. Aldon is the only for sure yes on the list I care about. Vernon, Boone, Dawson, Williams and Wilhoite are maybes. Boldin is a yes but I believe he will retire.

Pending Free Agents
Phil Dawson
Justin Smith
Anquan Boldin
Vernon Davis
Reggie Bush
Desmond Bishop
Craig Dahl
Philip Wheeler
Alex Boone
Chris Cook
Ian Williams
Kendall Hunter
Shareece Wright
Aldon Smith
Garrett Celek
Joe Looney
Michael Wilhoite
Tony Jerod-Eddie
Marcus Cromartie
Leon McFadden
Chase Thomas
Andrew Tiller
Chuck Jacobs

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it looks like 49ers TV was right. I knew it.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we cut Lee, Brooks this year we will have 53 million in cap next season. We have 58 guys under contract and I cut off guys who prolly wouldn't make the roster and I have us down to 41 guys on the roster with 53 million in cap. With all our draft picks and bring back some of our own guys like Aldon we should have a lot of money to make a splash if we wanted.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I say 10 million because the 49ers have stuck by his side and he already said he would take a discount. To be safe we can say he will make 10-12 mill. I was right about Suh just didn't know some dumb GM would give him that most. The 2nd best offer was the Lions at like 12 mill. So I said 10-12 mill and I was close. Miami became the Raiders by throwing crazy money at a player well above player value.

Still 49ers will have lots of money to play with. Im fired up. they were talking about it on 49ers TV. Depending on who you think they will resign 49ers will have about 25-30 mill to spend after they sign their own guys. Should be fun.

You were right that Suh wouldn't get anywhere near $15 million? How in the world do you figure that? His contract averages $19 million. You have no idea what the second-best offer was. There is absolutely nothing to suggest it was $12 million. Though if you have some legitimate source to the contrary, by all means post it.

I'd love to think Aldon will give us a home-team discount. I'll believe that he will when I see him do it.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were right that Suh wouldn't get anywhere near $15 million? How in the world do you figure that? His contract averages $19 million. You have no idea what the second-best offer was. There is absolutely nothing to suggest it was $12 million. Though if you have some legitimate source to the contrary, by all means post it.

I'd love to think Aldon will give us a home-team discount. I'll believe that he will when I see him do it.

I think Aldon could possibly give us a home team discount but I wouldn't expect it to be much. It is a business and these guys want to be paid.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW ,does anyone else already see the franchise tag on Aldon next season?

I hadn't even thought of that. I guess its possible. Alot of what happens next season rides on how he performs this season.