• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-2016 Off Season Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So another guy we traded for is now off the team. We release Bass who Dipoto talked up after the trade. I don't get some of his moves.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners avoided arbitration with projected starting center fielder Leonys Martin on Thursday afternoon. The two sides agreed to a one-year, $4.15 million agreement for the 2016 season.
The total is a little higher expected. Arbitration calculators put Martin making around $3.75 million for this season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Johns@GregJohnsMLB 59m59 minutes ago
Greg Johns Retweeted Marcos Grunfeld M.
Tough timing for Sucre, with pitchers and catchers due to report in less than five weeks now.
Greg Johns added,

Marcos Grunfeld M. @bvenezolano
#Mariners C Jesus Sucre has a broken fibula. He is done for this Winter League season. Out for at least 6 weeks @GregJohnsMLB @TNT_Mariners

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge Sucre fan, yep I know good back up catcher but if you know your role is the back up, then hit the damn batting cage to keep hands and eyes in check....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge Sucre fan, yep I know good back up catcher but if you know your role is the back up, then hit the damn batting cage to keep hands and eyes in check....

I wouldn't even say he's a good backup catcher. I mean he is a good backup catcher to Zunino since there wasn't a huge drop off. But generally a backup catcher is at least serviceable IMO. Surce wasn't even above average at anything, usually guys are good at something like the 90's guys or a guy like Pat Borders.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't even say he's a good backup catcher. I mean he is a good backup catcher to Zunino since there wasn't a huge drop off. But generally a backup catcher is at least serviceable IMO. Surce wasn't even above average at anything, usually guys are good at something like the 90's guys or a guy like Pat Borders.

I met Stephen Vogt over the weekend at a coaches clinic, he was telling his routine (daily) and I know Sucre doesn't do half the stuff he does...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is what he is, but big loss could be if they need to bring up a catcher early in the year if someone on the M's get hurt it may have to be Zunino now who needs to spend the entire year in Tacoma. Not sure we have another MLB ready catcher if needed ready to go. Sucre could actually work with a staff.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I met Stephen Vogt over the weekend at a coaches clinic, he was telling his routine (daily) and I know Sucre doesn't do half the stuff he does...

I don't know routines I guess of today's players, I just am looking at it as building a team and he isn't that seasoned vet or a promising young player which are essential IMO to a roster. Sucre isn't a versatile player so it's basically conceding 3 automatic outs when he plays in a game..not like Zunino was much better though.

I just use Pat Borders cause I loved that guy and he is the type of guy every club needs, regardless of position they need the old dude who has been around.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Paxson supposedly in the best shape of his life. Boy if I had a cheeseburger for everytime a sports reporter said that about a player.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next headline reads: "Paxton likely to miss 2-6 months. Upon arriving in Peoria Paxton received sunburned ears."
Yep. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he is in better shape. But I don't see how being in better shape would have prevented the finger injuries he had last year.

We've been waiting two year now for James Bedard to turn the corner and become the #2 or #3 type pitcher we all envisioned after his late season call up in 2013. Each year it gets a little harder to envision. I think this is his last year in the organization to prove himself. Another injury plagued year and he'll be with a different team in 2017.

Dipoto trade just about everyone this winter, so the fact that Paxton is still here must mean that Dipoto is a fan.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Paxson supposedly in the best shape of his life. Boy if I had a cheeseburger for everytime a sports reporter said that about a player.

At least he isn't necessarily being counted for a rotation spot. Supposedly last offseason he was doing yoga to improve flexibility. Then a week into spring training he trips and gets hurt and then the finger thing. So yeah kind of a believe it when we see it thing at this point.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Japanese right-hander Shohei Otani is unlikely to be posted soon, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.

The 22-year-old came to Arizona with his Japanese team, the Nippon Ham Fighters, for spring training earlier this month. He boasts a 101 mph fastball and is also an accomplished outfielder. One AL scout said Otani will eventually have to choose a position, though he has All-Star potential as both a hitter and pitcher. Otani nearly pursued an MLB career out of high school three years ago but ultimately stayed in Japan.

--------------

Here we go. A guy that could pitch (close or start I assume) and play outfield when not pitching. We don't like Cubans it seems, but we all know how they like their Japanese players.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners are checking in with veteran infielders that could potentially make the club and see some time at shortstop as a backup to Ketel Marte, reports Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune. Seattle briefly reached out to Jimmy Rollins prior to his deal with the White Sox, Dutton adds. While the Mariners have Luis Sardinas and Chris Taylor as backup options to Marte, neither has much Major League experience, nor does Marte himself, although Marte was somewhat quietly excellent in his rookie season last year.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners are checking in with veteran infielders that could potentially make the club and see some time at shortstop as a backup to Ketel Marte, reports Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune. Seattle briefly reached out to Jimmy Rollins prior to his deal with the White Sox, Dutton adds. While the Mariners have Luis Sardinas and Chris Taylor as backup options to Marte, neither has much Major League experience, nor does Marte himself, although Marte was somewhat quietly excellent in his rookie season last year.
Doesn't surprise me with the way it appears Dipoto has been building the roster so far. Personally I still consider SS a little bit of a question mark just because none of the guys on the current roster have much experience. Marte did a nice job on defense and at the plate last season, but how many players have we seen have nice rookie seasons just to follow it up with garbage. I hope Marte doesn't fall into that category also.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but how many players have we seen have nice rookie seasons just to follow it up with garbage. I hope Marte doesn't fall into that category also.

So true, but finding a low budget vet to have on hand just in case doesn't thrill me much though. They won't spend the money on a guy like Desmond (which I am not objecting to) so not sure there is a real fix out there at what Dipoto is trying to accomplish.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So true, but finding a low budget vet to have on hand just in case doesn't thrill me much though. They won't spend the money on a guy like Desmond (which I am not objecting to) so not sure there is a real fix out there at what Dipoto is trying to accomplish.
Well I agree. I'm pretty content going into the season with Marte being the guy and the backup spots being young guys simply because I dont think there is going to be much of an option. But I get the idea dipoto has with trying to add someone if possible.