• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 Los Angeles Lakers

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a Stephen A. report, so take it for what it's worth, but he's claiming that Jeanie is looking to clean house after the season and will force Jim out and that Mitch will follow shortly after that. He says that if she does clean house, she will bring Phil back and that Dolan will let him out of his deal to return to L.A.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/artic..._house_in_lakers_front_office/s1_127_20308420

Woj reported something like as well. Maybe he was just repeating Smith's report. Crazy stuff though. It would need to happen quick following the end of the season. Otherwise, the elite FAs will likely be turned off by the turmoil.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woj reported something like as well. Maybe he was just repeating Smith's report. Crazy stuff though. It would need to happen quick following the end of the season. Otherwise, the elite FAs will likely be turned off by the turmoil.

I agree. Going into FA without Byron being officially named coach didn't work too well as I recall. It'd be even worse if there were no GM or coach.

I have no problem with Jim being forced out. I always thought that Jeanie should have been in charge anyway. I also have no problem with Byron getting canned if it means we get Luke or Thibs.

I'd like to see Mitch stay. Maybe bring Phil back as President of Basketball Operations (Jim's title) and keep Mitch as GM. If Phil comes back as GM, then I think Mitch is out unless they come up with something else for him.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Going into FA without Byron being officially named coach didn't work too well as I recall. It'd be even worse if there were no GM or coach.

I have no problem with Jim being forced out. I always thought that Jeanie should have been in charge anyway. I also have no problem with Byron getting canned if it means we get Luke or Thibs.

I'd like to see Mitch stay. Maybe bring Phil back as President of Basketball Operations (Jim's title) and keep Mitch as GM. If Phil comes back as GM, then I think Mitch is out unless they come up with something else for him.

No way Mitch plays second fiddle to Phil. He's been doing this too long and to successfully to accept such a demotion.

I would be concerned about the affect on the other staff members as well. Ryan West seems to be being groomed as the next Lakers GM. He's a smart kid who has learned from the best. His father didn't exactly see eye to eye with Phil.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Mitch plays second fiddle to Phil. He's been doing this too long and to successfully to accept such a demotion.

I would be concerned about the affect on the other staff members as well. Ryan West seems to be being groomed as the next Lakers GM. He's a smart kid who has learned from the best. His father didn't exactly see eye to eye with Phil.

Yeah, I doubt Mitch would want to step down. Would probably work best if Phil were President of Basketball Operations and Mitch remained as GM. Might even be best if Mitch were let go or remained with the team in another capacity and Ryan West were promoted (assuming he's ready). Or even keep Mitch around for a couple of more seasons and then he retires and West takes over.

Lots of different ways it could go. I'd just hate to see Mitch moved out. He's the one person who has actually done an effective job.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jeanie is missing ole' Phil in proximity and she'll honor her brother's agreement and clean house at the end of year three. The Phil will return to LA. Mitch will probably stay around unless Jeanine sees the wisdom moving the West kid into the GM spot.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given all the buzz in NY about how Phil is never around and how much work he actually does or does not do, I'm not sure if I want him in LA. If he's actually invested, sure. But if he's part timing this to just be closer to Jeanie, no thanks. Just retire.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given all the buzz in NY about how Phil is never around and how much work he actually does or does not do, I'm not sure if I want him in LA. If he's actually invested, sure. But if he's part timing this to just be closer to Jeanie, no thanks. Just retire.
I agree at this point, don't want part time Phil.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I understand what little info has been out there correctly, I think part of the problem is that Phil is trying to be "bi-coastal." If true, I'd imagine he's trying to perform at least some of his duties from LA. If he's back with the Lakers, I expect he'd be around a bit more than in NY because Jeanie is here.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I think he would replace Jim as President of Basketball Operations and either Micth would remain as GM or Ryan West would be promoted. I don't think his presence would be required on quite the daily basis as GM would.

I agree though, no part-time Phil. Especially if it's as GM.

Here's a question though: Which is the better option for President of Basketball Operations? Part time Phil or Full time Jim?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I understand what little info has been out there correctly, I think part of the problem is that Phil is trying to be "bi-coastal." If true, I'd imagine he's trying to perform at least some of his duties from LA. If he's back with the Lakers, I expect he'd be around a bit more than in NY because Jeanie is here.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I think he would replace Jim as President of Basketball Operations and either Micth would remain as GM or Ryan West would be promoted. I don't think his presence would be required on quite the daily basis as GM would.

I agree though, no part-time Phil. Especially if it's as GM.

Here's a question though: Which is the better option for President of Basketball Operations? Part time Phil or Full time Jim?
Neither.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Clarkson has been damn impressive so far. And in the last five games he's been shooting well over 50% and averaging 17ppg. If he starts taking 5-8 shots more per game next year with Kobe out he'll be a 20ppg player easily.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind having Phil back at all...but he has to give up on insisting that everything needs to be built around the triangle offense. We can have elements of the triangle, but if we hire Luke as coach, we gotta get with the times, especially seeing that we have a PG that can get others involved

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to build around Russell while running the triangle doesn't seem like a fit at all. The triangle de-emphasizes point guard play.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Chris Mannix on Dan Patrick this morning. He's not Woj, but he's pretty solid (for a Ricky Rubio fanboy lol), imo. He thinks that Byron is gone at the end of the season (cue @wildturkey with a Wiggyesque Byron rant :lol:). He says it makes no sense to fire Byron now because of the losing, since that's kind of what they need to be doing.

He said that if the Lakers keep that top 3 pick, they would have a young core that would have guys like Thibs, becoming very, very interested in coaching the Lakers. He thinks that a young core of Russell, Randle, Clarkson, Nance Jr. and Simmons/Ingram with a coach like Thibs/Luke, makes for a team that FA's will come running to join.

Solid young core, a ton of cap space and a potential huge upgrade at HC could make for a very, very interesting off-season.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, precisely TJF12 and I believe that is exactly what will happen.