• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 US Open

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another ho-hum week on the PGAT in Memphis.

Can the U.S. Open @ Pinehurst shoot some life into the golf world? Payne Stewart will be back in the limelight as you would expect. I enjoyed watching him play...aside from maybe Ernie Els, he had the smoothest swing in golf.

Right now the sport could use a bit of a jolt...even Phil's insider trading scandal has not stirred up much interest outside of the golf media.

I have not heard a lot about the setup @ #2, but from what I have heard, it will play hard and fast so it should be any man's tournament...Given this is the USGA, I wonder what they have done for rough this time around.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sitting down? ....there is no rough. Literally.

You will here a whole song and dance about why they did it. What you won't hear is the truth.

From a ratings standpoint, they can't have the PGA's biggest stars (which 90% of them are big hitters) whacking it out of 8 inch rough on half the holes. They just won't let that happen. And they have been going down this road for a while but they finally decided to have no soul at all ...and get rid of the rough entirely at a fucking US Open.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,293.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill be rooting for mcilroy or phil and be rootning against woods. other then that I hope its a good tourney

kap1959

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You will here a whole song and dance about why they did it. What you won't hear is the truth.

From a ratings standpoint, they can't have the PGA's biggest stars (which 90% of them are big hitters) whacking it out of 8 inch rough on half the holes. They just won't let that happen. And they have been going down this road for a while but they finally decided to have no soul at all ...and get rid of the rough entirely at a fucking US Open.

If this is the case, then my money is on Bubba.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's why I was asking...'99 they had bermuda rough...I'd heard about the Coore-Crenshaw restoration project a few years ago but didn't know what it meant until yesterday.

I watched a Coore-Crenshaw interview on the restoration. The original Ross design in the 1930s was a lot more rugged looking course with a lot native vegetation, and sandy areas...the intent was to take the course back to that era...players are saying all the right things, but they expect it to yield some high scores and be worthy of a USO.

With those turtleback greens...you need to be playing from the FW...if nothing else I'm curious to see how these guys handle it.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I was asking...'99 they had bermuda rough...I'd heard about the Coore-Crenshaw restoration project a few years ago but didn't know what it meant until yesterday.

I watched a Coore-Crenshaw interview on the restoration. The original Ross design in the 1930s was a lot more rugged looking course with a lot native vegetation, and sandy areas...the intent was to take the course back to that era...players are saying all the right things, but they expect it to yield some high scores and be worthy of a USO.

With those turtleback greens...you need to be playing from the FW...if nothing else I'm curious to see how these guys handle it.

I'm skeptical. Imo, Crenshaw is one of the worst in the business. I like the guy and loved him as a player. But his designs are terrible. I can give many examples but one that comes to mind immediately is Barton Creek in Austin, Texas. This too was a Coore-Crenshaw design. They had one of the best pieces of land possible to work with. Compare it with either of the 2 Fazio courses or even the Palmer course - and it's laughable. Huge wide fairways; No rough whatsoever; Huge greens that you can't miss. I could go out there and strike the ball terrible and hit 14/18 greens in regulation. Garbage and waste of good land.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm skeptical. Imo, Crenshaw is one of the worst in the business. I like the guy and loved him as a player. But his designs are terrible. I can give many examples but one that comes to mind immediately is Barton Creek in Austin, Texas. This too was a Coore-Crenshaw design. They had one of the best pieces of land possible to work with. Compare it with either of the 2 Fazio courses or even the Palmer course - and it's laughable. Huge wide fairways; No rough whatsoever; Huge greens that you can't miss. I could go out there and strike the ball terrible and hit 14/18 greens in regulation. Garbage and waste of good land.

IDK about the worse...They have several courses that are nationally known and respected...their design philosophy is more minimalist from what I understand...they don't like moving a lot of dirt.

I've played Cuscowilla here in GA...near lake Oconee...very difficult, but outstanding track....I think they did Old MacDonald in Bandon ORE.

Whatever they did @ Pinehurst #2 seemed to flow with the USGA's direction or maybe the other way around...they were on board.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sneds several others... @ -2 early

Phil & Spieth lead a group @ -1....not a ton of carnage as a good number of players even to +1, but Z. Johnson is +2, thru 5...I thought he might do well here.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill be rooting for mcilroy or phil and be rootning against woods. other then that I hope its a good tourney

I always find it really hard to root against Brandt Snedeker.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always find it really hard to root against Brandt Snedeker.

He has that Opie Taylor character look...hung in there to finish under par...-1.

Phil and Rose fought to stay around even...+2 I think for Rose for the final tally....course looks different, but is playing like a USO should play in terms of resistance to scoring...guys are getting decent lies out of the scruffy stuff and able to advance it most of the time...the greens will be the defense.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has that Opie Taylor character look...hung in there to finish under par...-1.

Phil and Rose fought to stay around even...+2 I think for Rose for the final tally....course looks different, but is playing like a USO should play in terms of resistance to scoring...guys are getting decent lies out of the scruffy stuff and able to advance it most of the time...the greens will be the defense.

I appreciate the quickness of Brandt's play. There is no messing around, don't get your head in the way. Go out there and smack it or putt it once the plan has been made.

My golf buddies have a phrase for fast players on carts. "They're playing polo out there" and I think Brandt would fit that perfectly.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate the quickness of Brandt's play. There is no messing around, don't get your head in the way. Go out there and smack it or putt it once the plan has been made.

My golf buddies have a phrase for fast players on carts. "They're playing polo out there" and I think Brandt would fit that perfectly.

I hate that pop putting stroke of his, but also appreciate his pace of play. My father in law was a blazer in his earlier days...we'd play 3 hrs in his 4 some...good player too....the opposite imo, Furyk...the constant backing off would do me in.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that pop putting stroke of his, but also appreciate his pace of play. My father in law was a blazer in his earlier days...we'd play 3 hrs in his 4 some...good player too....the opposite imo, Furyk...the constant backing off would do me in.

I appreciate Furyk a lot because he conquered a bad motorcycle accident and found his stroke. Read or watch The Legend of Vance Bagger and tell me he isn't describing him when he talks about "every man finding his stroke" and specifically talking about someone exactly like Furyk.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Lord ...Anyone but Martin Kaymer. Excitement wise he makes Steve Stricker look like Bill Murray.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the cut target (in golfers) at the US Open? Currently, it is +3 (score), which would only be 48 (golfers). At +4 (score), there would still less than 70 (golfers). Is it top 60 or something less than the usual 70? Or, is it that Kaymer's -9 is driving it lower? :noidea:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaymer has posted another 65...-10 now...cut proj to be +5 right now.

Man...a lot of golf left to be played, low medal b-t-b days...this is Tiger like...if the course gets harder and faster they better hope this guy comes back to the pack because he's going to be up by a half dz unless the -2 & -1s on the course light it up.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaymer has posted another 65...-10 now...cut proj to be +5 right now.

Man...a lot of golf left to be played, low medal b-t-b days...this is Tiger like...if the course gets harder and faster they better hope this guy comes back to the pack because he's going to be up by a half dz unless the -2 & -1s on the course light it up.

I say no way he says that hot ....it's great to have a huge lead but it kinda leaves you in a wired place.

A US open is hard place to play it safe and to protect a lead or to stay aggressive with Saturday & Sunday pin placements.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say no way he says that hot ....it's great to have a huge lead but it kinda leaves you in a wired place.

A US open is hard place to play it safe and to protect a lead or to stay aggressive with Saturday & Sunday pin placements.

1 bogey thru 36 at a USO...I agree...he's going to hit some bumps in the road.

But...he's in the clubhouse now...if he does have a big lead Sat and it's playing tougher like USOs tend to do on the weekend...when he does falter...a 65 might not be out there to catch him...there's a good chance he will be the 54 hole leader.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last check in before I get out of here today.

Kaymer has no worries right now...a handful of guys, Kuchar included are -3 and they have holes to play still, but he's going to have a 5 shot lead, 4 at worst going into the weekend.