• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 NCAA Season / 2015 NFL Draft

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does both OL and DL look in terms of depth, specifically interior OL and 3-4 DE for next year? I read that someone (Bingo I think?) said that DE was deep but is that 3-4 DE as well?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams is good. He's long & powerful; a rare combination. Takes on a lot of double teams. Has a strong punch in his upper body. And he looks pretty quick for a guy listed at 290. I think he's gonna be picked way too high for the Niners to get him.

Why not trade up for a guy like HIM? Considering how much our DE mean to our defense, this would be a trade I would definitely consider. Just curious if he goes Top 10 or not.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Why not trade up for a guy like HIM? Considering how much our DE mean to our defense, this would be a trade I would definitely consider. Just curious if he goes Top 10 or not.

It will definitely depend on how well Tank plays. And there's always the possibility (slight as it is) that Lawrence Okoye develops into a real NFL player; I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him...

It'll also depend on how much money Glen Dorsey wants. I think he's been a great acquisition, and I think he's better than Ian Williams.

But if Williams is as good as he looks, I don't ever think it's a bad idea to get a DL as good as he is. I don't care how many good DL you have; you can never have too many (See NY Giants).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Don't remember if anyone posted this yet:

Report: Dorial Green-Beckham could skip 2014 college season, enter NFL Draft | ProFootballTalk

So it looks like we may have seen the last of Dorial Green-Beckham as a college player. We don't get to see how good he was gonna be as a junior. So the question is... is the guy Dez Bryant or Da'Rick Rogers? Or Charles Rogers (junkie future-wash-out)?

I'm actually not extremely enamoured of the prospects in college right now, so my instincts are leaning towards targeting DGB next year. There just aren't a lot of guys I'm seeing who even have much of a chance of starting for the 49ers, so why not go with a high-risk guy who could be a top-10 receiver in the NFL?

I know it's far too early to say anything definite, but I think DGB should be the guy if he's there in the first round.

Of course, a ton of players look like 1st-round picks before they're more thoroughly scrutinized at draft time, so we'll see...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't remember if anyone posted this yet:

Report: Dorial Green-Beckham could skip 2014 college season, enter NFL Draft | ProFootballTalk

So it looks like we may have seen the last of Dorial Green-Beckham as a college player. We don't get to see how good he was gonna be as a junior. So the question is... is the guy Dez Bryant or Da'Rick Rogers? Or Charles Rogers (junkie future-wash-out)?

I'm actually not extremely enamoured of the prospects in college right now, so my instincts are leaning towards targeting DGB next year. There just aren't a lot of guys I'm seeing who even have much of a chance of starting for the 49ers, so why not go with a high-risk guy who could be a top-10 receiver in the NFL?

I know it's far too early to say anything definite, but I think DGB should be the guy if he's there in the first round.

Of course, a ton of players look like 1st-round picks before they're more thoroughly scrutinized at draft time, so we'll see...

I posted it already, but it's cool. I agree that he's my top choice right now unless there is a premier CB available, but I doubt it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I posted it already, but it's cool. I agree that he's my top choice right now unless there is a premier CB available, but I doubt it.

There were some pretty good sophomores last year, but none of 'em have exactly stood out as future studs IMO.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu looks like a poor man's Jason Verrett. That's not a knock, but I don't think he's the next Champ Bailey by any means.

I'm sure I'll get my hopes up for a FA CB like I did in '13 w/ DRC and like I did this offseason w/ Revis, and I'm sure Baalke will crush those hopes like Kaepernick throwing a fade to Crabtree. :(

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Speaking of premier CBs, I hated on Darqueze Dennard like nobody's business last year. But his teammate Trae Waynes might actually be a good one. I certainly think he is the better of the 2 Spartan CBs.

Waynes looks faster, more coordinated, turns his hips faster, and he's listed at 6'1. Plus he doesn't hold every other play like Dennard does. I'm gonna keep an eye on Trae Waynes this year (along with his teammate Shilique Calhoun , but I doubt the Niners have any rook for another OLB).

...Dennard is SO gonna bust. I'm not even sure he'll be a starter in the NFL. I can't wait to see him fail. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
FSU DE Mario Edwards Jr is going to get a lot of hype this year 'cause he was the top DE recruit in the nation in 2012. I think that's all it is though: hype. This is a guy with zero pass rush moves IMO. He's good at holding the edge, but at 273 pounds you'd expect that from a RDE. The lack of moves and a level of explosiveness that doesn't exactly blow my mind leads me to believe he's a good prospect but not an elite one. I was hating on Timmy Jernigan all year last season because I thought he was extremely overrated in the offseason, and Mario might be that guy for me this year.

I'm far more impressed with his teammate DT Eddie Goldman. Dude looks like he has the kind of power & quickness you want from a 3-technique DT (Don't know about him playing the 5). In fact, Eddie Goldman might be a big reason why Jernigan looked better than he was.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mario Edwards - DL - Seminoles

Florida State junior DE Mario Edwards is an attractive property to the NFL due to his ability to defend both the run and pass, writes NFL.com's Bucky Brooks.

The 6-foot-3, 294 pounder, the No. 1-ranked recruit of the 2012 class, is an amazing athlete who has been clocked at 4.76 seconds in the 40 and can do standing back flips. "Edwards has blossomed into a disruptive playmaker off the edge, exhibiting impressive strength, power and athleticism," wrote Brooks. "In addition, Edwards shows a non-stop motor, which results in relentless effort and pursuit on running plays. As a pass rusher, Edwards relies on his superior effort, energy and strength to win on power moves off the corner. Although he will need to expand his repertoire at the next level, Edwards' effectiveness as a run-pass defender will earn him high marks from scouts in the fall." Edwards is one of the best defensive linemen in the NCAA.
Source: NFL.com

May 31 - 2:42 PM

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick is usually pretty spot on with his DL/pass rusher assessments so I'm inclined to believe him. It's just funny to see the contrast. Sick described a two down run stopper at best, Bingo's link basically described JJ Watt.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Mario Edwards - DL - Seminoles

Florida State junior DE Mario Edwards is an attractive property to the NFL due to his ability to defend both the run and pass, writes NFL.com's Bucky Brooks.

The 6-foot-3, 294 pounder, the No. 1-ranked recruit of the 2012 class, is an amazing athlete who has been clocked at 4.76 seconds in the 40 and can do standing back flips.

Uh oh. I'm always wrong about pass rushers who can do flips (JPP). Maybe I'll have to re-evaluate. :think:

Mario needs to develop some pass rush moves if I'm going to buy the top-10 kind of hype he's getting.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see Edwards move inside this season. That might be where he eventually belongs.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Speaking of Seminole defenders, I wonder if the DL looked better because of the secondary or vice versa. Last year's Seminole secondary was insane. Joyner & Brooks will both be good in the NFL IMO, and PJ Williams had a great season; he looks like he'll be a first round pick in May.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So the only player in college about whom I would be really excited to see on the 49ers is Dorial Green-Beckham. Now that Kaepernick is locked up for 6 more years, the Niners need someone who can catch fades. I don't see any Revis / Patrick Peterson / Champ Bailey kind of CBs in college at this point. There are other WRs who would look nice in a Niners' uni', but Dorial Green-Beckham is simply better than they are.

The Niners are set at OL long term.
The LB coprs is set.
Safety is set.
TE is set.
RB is set.

The only positions I could see the Niners making an upgrade in the offseason is WR, CB, KR and possibly DL if they trade up and JSmith decides to retire or isn't playing well. KR can be found later; and like I said, I don't see any extremely talented CBs (maybe Williams from FSU, but I'm skeptical).

Especially with the Niners probably having a high pick, Dorial Green-Beckham missing the 2014 season is the best thing that could happen to the team IMO. It's the ultimate buy-low kind of move (Randy Moss, Dez Bryant).

Would I be worried about him off the field? Of course. But that's a smaller gamble than banking on a lesser-talented player dominating in the Super Bowl like Mario Manningham did against the Patriots IMO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Correction: Kicker might actually be the biggest need in the offseason depending on how well Methuselah Dawson holds up.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Although I think I'm going to be on the DGB-or-bust bandwagon this year, I have a favourable impression of Nelson Agholor despite him being a USC receiver. He seems like he has rare grace & coordination, and he seems like he has pretty rare speed (which is a must for a receiver who isn't huge like Agholor). Don't think he has Brandin Cooks speed, but he seems pretty fast.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
One of my favourite prospects in college FB this season (probably) is going to be Michigan TE Devin Funchess. With Vernon's contract expiring after the 2015 season, I wouldn't be completely opposed to developing someone to replace him. Vernon will be 32, and his game is all about speed. At 32, how much speed is he really gonna have left?

2016 could be a rough year for the salary Kap (that was for you Whysies), and the Niners might have bigger needs than re-signing an aging Davis. Might.

Devin Funchess reminds me a lot of Julian Thomas. He strikes me as one of those players who's gonna struggle early on due to the fact that his core strength isn't there yet (especially if he comes out as a junior). But after a year or 2, I think he's gonna blow up. He has the assets that can't be taught IMO like coordination & good hands.

I'm hoping Michigan's offense struggles & he comes out early so maybe the Niners can nab him in the 2nd or 3rd.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
One of my favourite prospects in college FB this season (probably) is going to be Michigan TE Devin Funchess. With Vernon's contract expiring after the 2015 season, I wouldn't be completely opposed to developing someone to replace him. Vernon will be 32, and his game is all about speed. At 32, how much speed is he really gonna have left?

2016 could be a rough year for the salary Kap (that was for you Whysies), and the Niners might have bigger needs than re-signing an aging Davis. Might.

Devin Funchess reminds me a lot of Julian Thomas. He strikes me as one of those players who's gonna struggle early on due to the fact that his core strength isn't there yet (especially if he comes out as a junior). But after a year or 2, I think he's gonna blow up. He has the assets that can't be taught IMO like coordination & good hands.

I'm hoping Michigan's offense struggles & he comes out early so maybe the Niners can nab him in the 2nd or 3rd.

Heard they are splitting him out on the edge this year. Playing WR

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'm with you there. Unless Vernon miraculously develops good hands and stops that ridiculous hop step, his usefulness will start to diminish. I don't see him having a long career like Tony Gonzalez did. That's probably why he is panicking and decided to holdout. Without that speed, he's going to turn into a blocking TE.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Heard they are splitting him out on the edge this year. Playing WR

Makes sense. He's the size of a big receiver right now. He'd dominate as a receiver IMO like Mike Evans did. Don't like him as a receiver in the NFL though (like I didn't think much of Evans either).