• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Lions' Board complete draft picks

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bye-Bye Kris Durham, Kevin Ogletree. Both will be amongst the final camp cuts, imo, if they're not traded.

Interweb says Jones is 6'0", runs a sub 4.5, has great hands, and runs good routes. Not overwhelming in any one area, but very dependable overall. Compares to Jason Avant, so I'm told. Basically a solid #3 at best, quality reserve at worst. Should be able to roll on special teams with that kind of decent speed.

I think our WR depth chart this year is going to look like like this coming out of camp.

1.) Megatron
2.) Golden Tate
3.) Ryan Broyles
4.) Jeremy Ross
5.) T.J. Jones

6.) Corey Fuller
7.) Pat Edwards
8.) Kris Durham
9.) Kevin Ogletree

I think we only keep 5 WRs with 4 TEs this year. If we keep 6 I think either Fuller or Edwards push the other out...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota did well in the 6th rd picking up both Antone Exum and Kendall James to go with

Barr, Bridgewater, Crichton, McKinnon, Yankey

Smart to load up on DBs and pass-rushers in this division.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update 4:09, Lache Seastrunk picked.

Let's get a running list of the best guys available:

QB- Keith Wenning

H-Back - A.C. Loenard

WR- Jeff Janis

OT- Antonio Richardson

OLB- Trevor Reilly, James Gayle

CB- Marcus Roberson, Louchiez Purifoy

DT- Kelcy Quarles

Safety - Dez Southward, Jerome Couplin III (81" wingspan and 43" vertical), Ahmad Dixon

K- Nate Freese, Chris Boswell, Anthony Fera

Feel free to add your favorites to the list.

Must be homer love for Janis, he's been on my list all day. Richardson has fallen pretty far, too. I'm just ahead of the pack on Couplin, apparently. :nod:

Rest of these guys have been pretty fluid. Trevor Reilly would be a solid pick if we can get him in the 7th...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bye-Bye Kris Durham, Kevin Ogletree. Both will be amongst the final camp cuts, imo, if they're not traded.

Interweb says Jones is 6'0", runs a sub 4.5, has great hands, and runs good routes. Not overwhelming in any one area, but very dependable overall. Compares to Jason Avant, so I'm told. Basically a solid #3 at best, quality reserve at worst. Should be able to roll on special teams with that kind of decent speed.

I think our WR depth chart this year is going to look like like this coming out of camp.

1.) Megatron
2.) Golden Tate
3.) Ryan Broyles
4.) Jeremy Ross
5.) T.J. Jones

6.) Corey Fuller
7.) Pat Edwards
8.) Kris Durham
9.) Kevin Ogletree

I think we only keep 5 WRs with 4 TEs this year. If we keep 6 I think either Fuller or Edwards push the other out...

I don't think we see a whole lot of Ross on offense either. Strictly a reserve. Fuller will probably be given a shot or back on the practice squad. The rest are probably gone.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OHHH bejesus Micro is thumping his chest...another Domer

Nah. No chest thumping. TJ is a solid receiver. He's got good hands and ok speed. Can get open in space but isn't a really big target. I think he'll atleast challenge for a depth spot in the very least.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update 4:38, Keith Wenning picked.

Let's get a running list of the best guys available:

H-Back - A.C. Loenard

WR- Jeff Janis

OT- Antonio Richardson

OLB- Trevor Reilly, James Gayle

CB- Marcus Roberson, Louchiez Purifoy

DT- Kelcy Quarles

Safety - Dez Southward, Jerome Couplin III (81" wingspan and 43" vertical), Ahmad Dixon

K- Nate Freese, Chris Boswell, Anthony Fera

Feel free to add your favorites to the list.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kept a similar running list like this last year and the draft ended with both Fauria and Waddle on my list. I was pumped when we added them.

7th round definitely isn't the last chance for those "flyer" prospects you like...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Polian just raved on and on about Jones' speed, but the clips he showed didn't back that up. They did back up McShay's claims of great hands and good route running.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden Domer WR T.J. Jones

Production 3
2010: (12/7) 23-306-13.3-3
2011: (13/12) 38-366-9.6-3
2012: (13/11) 50-649-13-4
2013: (13/7) 70-1,108-15.8-9
Career: PR 14-106-7.6-0

Height-Weight-Speed 3
Slight below average height and has short arms (30 1/2'). Lean frame and lacks prototypical bulk. Big hands (10'). Top-end speed is well above-average.

Durability 1
Durability does not appear to be an issue as he has appeared in all 51 career games with 37 starts and has not suffered a significant injury that we are currently aware of.

Intangibles 2
Team captain as a senior. Well respected and liked by coaches and teammates. Excellent practice and preparation skills. Took on more of a leadership role as senior. Son of Michelle and Andre Jones, Father Andre, who was a starting DE for the 1988 Notre Dame National Championship team, passed away three years ago from a brain aneurysm at the age of 42. Has four siblings. Godfather is former Notre Dame WR Raghib "Rocket" Ismail.

1 = Exceptional......2 = Above average.......3 = Average....4 = Below average........5 = Marginal

Wide Receiver Specific Traits

Separation Skills 3
Detailed route runner. Appears quicker than fast. Uses savvy and tempo within stem to create leverage and gain separation. Flashes subtle hands to create late separation. Drops his weight well and makes a smooth out of breaks. Lacks an ideal burst though and will need to work for his separation at the NFL level. Good spatial awareness separating against zone coverage. Must continue to get stronger and will get pushed around by more physical DBs near the line of scrimmage.

Ball Skills 2
Above-average hand-eye coordination and has big hands. Natural pluck away from frame. Quick locating ball and shows excellent body control adjusting to throws. Good focus in traffic and plays bigger than size indicates with contested throws. Leaping ability is average.

Big play ability 4
Playing speed does not match up with timed speed but can occasionally get behind the defense. Just average size/leaping combination to win one-on-one down field battles. Not a difference maker after the catch but transitions quickly up-field to maximize yards.

Competitiveness 2
Has a natural feel for the position in terms of field awareness. Excellent at finding the open areas off the QB scramble drills. Does most of his work outside the hashes but shows good focus in traffic. Gives quality effort covering up defenders in the run game.

1 = Exceptional.....2 = Above average.....3 = Average......4 = Below average......5 = Marginal

Last edited by a moderator:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. No chest thumping. TJ is a solid receiver. He's got good hands and ok speed. Can get open in space but isn't a really big target. I think he'll atleast challenge for a depth spot in the very least.

I will thump my chest for you if that golden domer kid makes Durham pack his shit and leave.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beyond that first pick of Ebron the rest of these picks all filled holes.

Van Noy will be a starter, Swanson will be a starter within 2 years and backs up all 3 interior spots in the mean time, Lawson replaces Houston's roster spot (whom I'm thinking is out for a while with toe surgery), Webster will be our 4th DE, Caraun will be our 4th DT (all roster locks, through the 5th round), Jones looks like a good bet to make the roster as well. One more pick, if it's a kicker we may have the rare draft where everyone we picked makes the roster...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayock just said he doesn't care where the draft is next year as long as it in April. Said not one scout coach or GM has stated they like it. Said they are getting good ratings though. See if Goodell listens to owners or goes with the $$$.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Van Noy will be a starter, Swanson will be a starter within 2 years and backs up all 3 interior spots in the mean time, Lawson replaces Houston's roster spot (whom I'm thinking is out for a while with toe surgery), Webster will be our 4th DE, Caraun will be our 4th DT (all roster locks, through the 5th round), Jones looks like a good bet to make the roster as well. One more pick, if it's a kicker we may have the rare draft where everyone we picked makes the roster...

I can see Lawson on PS and one of the scrub pickups making it. That ex-Colt??? maybe

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will thump my chest for you if that golden domer kid makes Durham pack his shit and leave.

I think that's a given. Durham is no better than 6th right now, and that's best-case scenario for him. We likely won't keep 6 WRs (maybe though). I think Fuller and Edwards would both claim a spot before Durham in this offense, unless he finally starts putting that size/speed combo to work and establishes himself as a deep threat during camp/ preseason.

Broyles seems to be much farther along than we thought and will probably make the roster. We'll be carrying 4 TEs most likely, one of whom is pretty much a WR (Ebron). Factor in 6th round picks at WR two years in a row (Fuller and now Jones) and there doesn't seem to be a lot of wiggle room for Durham. He needs to make another big leap forward in his development between now and August if he wants to make the final cut, imo...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wanted defense also... it did fill need in the grand scheme of THEIR scheme, not ours. He is 3rd receiving option that they needed. We already know he will not be traditional TE in his alignments.

Solid draft grade from me. B- is as high as I can go. While I like the picks. The mid round guys might be a given to make roster due to lack of depth. All three small school kids, so no given to make it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Lawson on PS and one of the scrub pickups making it. That ex-Colt??? maybe

I've never heard of a 4th rounder making it through to the practice squad. Someone would snatch him up, it just doesn't happen that I'm aware of. It's considered a gamble to get a 6th rounder through waivers. Rare for a 5th rounder. We saw Greenwood get snapped up by Dallas for a few weeks last year. 4th rounders can be put on the ps, in theory, but they'd have to be pretty terrible in camp for the GM to risk losing a 4th rounder before they ever took a single snap.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tpaulus_2 said:
I think that's a given. Durham is no better than 6th right now, and that's best-case scenario for him. We likely won't keep 6 WRs (maybe though). I think Fuller and Edwards would both claim a spot before Durham in this offense, unless he finally starts putting that size/speed combo to work and establishes himself as a deep threat during camp/ preseason.

Broyles seems to be much farther along than we thought and will probably make the roster. We'll be carrying 4 TEs most likely, one of whom is pretty much a WR (Ebron). Factor in 6th round picks at WR two years in a row (Fuller and now Jones) and there doesn't seem to be a lot of wiggle room for Durham. He needs to make another big leap forward in his development between now and August if he wants to make the final cut, imo...

where/when did he have his 1st big leap forward, outside of getting drafted originally by Seattle. not being a smart-ass either. He had 1 yr in college with Staff and 1 yr with Murray. I get your thinking of "if" he moves forward in camp but 1 1/2 years already on this team and regresses last yr, which players sometimes do being young.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where/when did he have his 1st big leap forward, outside of getting drafted originally by Seattle. not being a smart-ass either. He had 1 yr in college with Staff and 1 yr with Murray. I get your thinking of "if" he moves forward in camp but 1 1/2 years already on this team and regresses last yr, which players sometimes do being young.

He made a big jump with us between 2012 and 2013. Didn't look like the same player at all. But he still has drop issues, doesn't utilize his size/speed combo (tallest WR in the NFL, runs a 4.4) to get down the field, and may have pretty much peaked. Doesn't get much for separation also.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never heard of a 4th rounder making it through to the practice squad. Someone would snatch him up, it just doesn't happen that I'm aware of. It's considered a gamble to get a 6th rounder through waivers. Rare for a 5th rounder. We saw Greenwood get snapped up by Dallas for a few weeks last year. 4th rounders can be put on the ps, in theory, but they'd have to be pretty terrible in camp for the GM to risk losing a 4th rounder before they ever took a single snap.

Is he 4th round talent? draft position and worth = ??? for me. need to look him up.