• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 All-Star Week Discussion (Rangers Edition)

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On defense, the Rangers fail the eye test. They fail the basic-stat test with 69 errors, third-highest total in the majors, going into the second-half opener Friday night at Toronto.
They also fail the advanced-metrics test. According to baseball-reference.com, the Rangers have the lowest defensive efficiency rate — balls put into play that are converted into outs — in the majors at .655. They also have fourth-worst total zone runs above average figure in the majors at minus-35. The total zone runs above average is the number of runs above or below average a player (or team) is worth based on defensive contributions.

Even the Rangers’ best defensive player, All-Star third baseman Adrian Beltre, has not played well in the field. Beltre has a minus-13 score on total zone runs above average. That would be his career-worst score over a full season. Oakland’s Josh Donaldson is a plus-17.

In addition to Beltre, veteran corner outfielders Shin-Soo Choo and Alex Rios have not played well. The difficult overall season of shortstop Elvis Andrus includes a minus-3 on total zone runs above average. It would be his worst figure for a full season since 2010.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had hoped those losing days were over for a long while, but unfortunately they've come back too soon. I can only hope we will not be as bad over the second half of the season, playing .500 ball should be our goal....and I'll continue to watch...and grimace.

On a positive note (sarcasm), I read the Star Telegram article about the return of Soto and Arencibia and the hope that it will "boost" our offense...oh my, this is sad...hoping these two offensive powerhouses will improve our offense...grimace....:L

That might be the rub for some fans. I always say play um to win, but there are fans that have their eye on a top 3 pick in the draft.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had hoped those losing days were over for a long while, but unfortunately they've come back too soon. I can only hope we will not be as bad over the second half of the season, playing .500 ball should be our goal....and I'll continue to watch...and grimace.

On a positive note (sarcasm), I read the Star Telegram article about the return of Soto and Arencibia and the hope that it will "boost" our offense...oh my, this is sad...hoping these two offensive powerhouses will improve our offense...grimace....:L
In JPA's case it is a wash. You had nothing and we're getting nothing.:yahoo:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am the same way Rev and Justin. I hate this break. I am ready to watch the Rangers. Now I may be ready to change the channel if we start stinking it up but then I will be ready again the next night. Not sure how someone who calls themselves a true fan can just blow it off completely.
I'm a member of that club also. Sticking it out.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be the rub for some fans. I always say play um to win, but there are fans that have their eye on a top 3 pick in the draft.

Something I'm not sure I understand since draft picks are like lottery tickets in baseball. You really don't know which ones are going to pan out.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On defense, the Rangers fail the eye test. They fail the basic-stat test with 69 errors, third-highest total in the majors, going into the second-half opener Friday night at Toronto.
They also fail the advanced-metrics test. According to baseball-reference.com, the Rangers have the lowest defensive efficiency rate — balls put into play that are converted into outs — in the majors at .655. They also have fourth-worst total zone runs above average figure in the majors at minus-35. The total zone runs above average is the number of runs above or below average a player (or team) is worth based on defensive contributions.

Even the Rangers’ best defensive player, All-Star third baseman Adrian Beltre, has not played well in the field. Beltre has a minus-13 score on total zone runs above average. That would be his career-worst score over a full season. Oakland’s Josh Donaldson is a plus-17.

In addition to Beltre, veteran corner outfielders Shin-Soo Choo and Alex Rios have not played well. The difficult overall season of shortstop Elvis Andrus includes a minus-3 on total zone runs above average. It would be his worst figure for a full season since 2010.
No surprise there. Just partly how you manage to get in the cellar.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morosi: Tigers are having ongoing discussions with the Rangers about reliever Joakim Soria, sources say. @FOXSports1
9:17am - 18 Jul 14

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morosi: Tigers are having ongoing discussions with the Rangers about reliever Joakim Soria, sources say. @FOXSports1
9:17am - 18 Jul 14

Two closers from the same team in half a season is very odd. Any ideas being floated on what they're willing to give us?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I'm not sure I understand since draft picks are like lottery tickets in baseball. You really don't know which ones are going to pan out.

I agree with top 10, but "tanking" beyond that isn't necessary to me, top 10 is good because we wouldn't have to surrender that draft pick of we signed someone with 1st round compensation

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two closers from the same team in half a season is very odd. Any ideas being floated on what they're willing to give us?

Not much I'm guessing, slightly above what we got for frasor, at least it won't be enough for some people who think soria is worth a teams top prospect

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much I'm guessing, slightly above what we got for frasor, at least it won't be enough for some people who think soria is worth a teams top prospect

Just as long as we play hard to get with someone like Soria. This is where the tables are turned somewhat from the past few years where we can wait it out until a team becomes desperate or just keep what we have.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually thought - at least on paper anyway - that what we received for Frasor was pretty good.

Soria isn't worth their top prospect, or even close. But the Tigers are all in for this season and I think this helps our bargaining position. I wonder if they'd give us Jonathan Crawford - who is listed as a potential top end reliever? He still may be a year a way though. Perhaps include a low but promising A player too.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually thought - at least on paper anyway - that what we received for Frasor was pretty good.

Soria isn't worth their top prospect, or even close. But the Tigers are all in for this season and I think this helps our bargaining position. I wonder if they'd give us Jonathan Crawford - who is listed as a potential top end reliever? He still may be a year a way though. Perhaps include a low but promising A player too.

I also thought the frasor return was solid but certainly not spectacular, but thats what you hope for in a middling reliever

Your soria scenario sounds totally reasonable

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would ask about JD Martinez. Dude is having a crazy good year. It might be a fluke, but if he levels out and still plays well he would be a decent OF going forward.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would ask about JD Martinez. Dude is having a crazy good year. It might be a fluke, but if he levels out and still plays well he would be a decent OF going forward.

He's a major part of their team right now, no way they trade him now

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.500 ball the remainder of the way gets us to 72-90 and good shot at a top ten pick.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I love EA... he's gotta go. Plain and simple. For what we're paying him its ridiculous what we get. I love the guy. He leads and is one of the last guys on our team that still shows that they have fun... but he's gotta go. You can't pay that much money to a guy who hits .260 and 3 home runs a year or less. He literally provides nothing to the plate, aside from handling the bat well. I feel like we could get a lot for him too (of course we'd have to eat a little $$). Trade EA for a stud minor league arm plus others. That's what JD should be doing right now. Trade him to freakin Baltimore and get Gausman or something idk. Just throwing shit in the fire here. You guys see what I mean. As bad as he is, he's regarded as one of the better SS in the game of baseball in an age where shortstop's are hard to come by. That alone makes him valuable. Trade him to baltimore or find one of the many other teams who are looking for a SS. Get an arm out of it that will be ready for the rotation next season. If you can't get that, then hold on to him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I love EA... he's gotta go. Plain and simple. For what we're paying him its ridiculous what we get. I love the guy. He leads and is one of the last guys on our team that still shows that they have fun... but he's gotta go. You can't pay that much money to a guy who hits .260 and 3 home runs a year or less. He literally provides nothing to the plate, aside from handling the bat well. I feel like we could get a lot for him too (of course we'd have to eat a little $$). Trade EA for a stud minor league arm plus others. That's what JD should be doing right now. Trade him to freakin Baltimore and get Gausman or something idk. Just throwing shit in the fire here. You guys see what I mean. As bad as he is, he's regarded as one of the better SS in the game of baseball in an age where shortstop's are hard to come by. That alone makes him valuable. Trade him to baltimore or find one of the many other teams who are looking for a SS. Get an arm out of it that will be ready for the rotation next season. If you can't get that, then hold on to him.
Better make sure of Profar

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe having his personal catcher in Soto behind the plate is a perfect way for Darvish to kick off the second half of the season.