• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NHL Draft - Sunday June 30th @ 12:00 Noon

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Brodzinski D. Heading to the University of Minnesota. Made the USHL all rookie team.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Michael Brodzinski D. Heading to the University of Minnesota. Made the USHL all rookie team.

If he can improve his defense some this is a great pick. I expected him to go much higher.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can improve his defense some this is a great pick. I expected him to go much higher.

He looks like he could turn into something. Pretty damn good point production and he gets to grow at a legit program.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gage Ausmus D. Heading to University of Denver. Dude is already 6'1" 211 lbs. looks like a solid defensive dman.

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Given their depth problem, I would much rather have seen dougie acquire as many quality prospects as possible, but basically with 4 picks in the top 58, they walked away with one prospect ranked in the top 80. unless dougie and co are smarter than every hockey analyst out there, they seem to have gotten a pretty pathetic haul in what is probably among the most important drafts in franchise history given the turning point that is coming soon. I reallllly hope Im wrong...

Agreed with everything stated here. I try not get my hopes up (as usual) but feels like Dougie really had an opportunity to build for the post Joe era, and missed big time. :gaah:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is Vinny wants 5 for 5. Forget that.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharks take a Russian! Woohoo...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A 21 year old who still only weights 169, safe to say we will probably never see him.

Pffft, he doesn't turn 21 for another 3 months. Lol

Put up respectable numbers in he KHL last year though.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did notice that the sharks just drafted a 32 year old?

aaah... nevermind... Hockeydb has him as Jake jackson... haha :-)

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the rooskie plays for the team that all died a year before he joined... wow, that's gotta be strange...

Sadly I think his Bday is may 9th, so he is... indeed... 21. Be fun if he actaully comes over and stars though :-)

So, cmon, whatch think of dougie's haul? Anyone we should be quietly excited about?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the rooskie plays for the team that all died a year before he joined... wow, that's gotta be strange...

Sadly I think his Bday is may 9th, so he is... indeed... 21. Be fun if he actaully comes over and stars though :-)

So, cmon, whatch think of dougie's haul? Anyone we should be quietly excited about?

Damn it I forgot the euro sites list dates day/month/year. Was reading his bday as Sept 5th instead of May 9th.

With how many picks the Sharks had going into the draft I'd grade the end result as a solid C. I would have like to see a better restocking of the prospect pool. I'm interested to see Mueller's offensive production next year. If he can keep improving that part of his game he's going to be a great pick.

I know next to nothing about Bergvik but everything I've read makes him sound like a real steal in the 4th round.

The picks that interest me the most are Brodzinski and Galimov. Brodzinsky has the skillset to be a very good offensive dman. Galimov is intriguing because of the Sharks usual aversion to Russians. There must be something there to convince the Sharks to use a draft pick to retain his rights instead of just trying to sign him in the offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Interesting to see dougie go so hard after D in this draft. 5 picks in the first 5 rounds and he goes with 3 D including and with the mueller trade functionally 4 picks for D. I guess you cant have too many good defensemen in this league.

If Mueller can develop offensively, as you said, than its fine, but i think the last thing the sharks need is another pickles or shut down Dman. Those guys are obviously valuable, but with Boyle going shortly and the current farm and roster completely devoid of powerhouse 2-way dmen, it sure seems like the sharks will lack that threat from the blueline for a long time (excluding burns of course, whose suspect defensive game seems to make him a better forward). It would sure be nice if Mueller can be a two way stud ala doughty, weber, or keith. if he ends up just a scuderi or vlasic, then I wont be too satisfied even though most of the time picking a vlasic at #18 is not a bad haul.

Brodzinsky is the guy who intrigues me most. Going to Minnesota is nice. That's a powerhouse program and his numbers last year including 16 goals sure seems legit. his size is a bit small, but maybe be like a shattenkirk. Smallish but studly. Obviously it'll be a few years before he goes pro, but I suppose there is something hopeful there.

I wonder what dougie is thinking regarding his future forwards. Myabe he figures he has sufficient prospects with hertl, tierney, nieto, tarasov, ried, and the rest of the worcester/to-be-worcester forwards. Doesnt seem like a real imposing lineup for prospects, but I guess dougie figured that D wins championships and that its always easier to acquire forwards than defense through trade and UFA.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mueller is never going to bring the offense that you get from guys like Weber, Keith, and Doughty. Expect something more like a Dan Hamhuis or Paul Martin type production.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey Cmon, what was your overall opinion of the draft... I dont know anything bout any of these guys, but by majority of the reactions Ive read, it seems like Doug somehow managed to bomb the deepest draft in a decade

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: ....so how did the draft go?

I heard we traded for Kennedy from Pitt to improve our bottom 6 forwards.

snowsurfer13sss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
:noidea: ....so how did the draft go?

I heard we traded for Kennedy from Pitt to improve our bottom 6 forwards.

Wellllll, from the looks of it we drafted a Vlassic 2.0 while passing up on 2/3 boom or bust forwards then gifted two 2nd round picks and used our 49th or whatever to draft a kid ranked by scouts to be in the 70's... Then we used our 4th round pick like a hipster and drafted a goalie with no real scouting reports, but from the little we have heard he actually sounds like we might have something good. Then late in the day the Sharks drafted a couple solid defenders that have a long ways to go but have really good upside.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey Cmon, what was your overall opinion of the draft... I dont know anything bout any of these guys, but by majority of the reactions Ive read, it seems like Doug somehow managed to bomb the deepest draft in a decade

Calling it a bomb is a bit much. Wilson certainly made some questionable choices but it's really too early to pass judgement. I think most are disappointed because they expected, or wanted, the Sharks to taked a forward in the 1st round. I also wanted/expected them to take a forward in the 1st round. Instead they traded up to draft a dman and lost another 2nd in the process. Then in the 2nd round they picked a forward who can certainly be considered an "off the board" pick.

Mirco Mueller (D): The Mueller pick is a good one. He was a high draft choice in last years CHL import draft by a bad Everett team. This was his 1st year playing NA hockey and he was logging the most minutes and the hardest minutes on the team. Good size, great skater who makes strong passes out of the zone, very high hockey IQ, his defensive awareness and positional play are 2nd to none, unbelievable shot blocker. His offense is a work in progress but he has the tools to be a good offensive contributor.

What I didn't like about this pick was giving up the 2nd to move up. Chances are Kekolienen and the Blue Jackets were going to take him with the #19 pick. While Mueller is a great prospect and instantly becomes the Sharks best defensive prospect if he wasn't available at the #20 spot there were plenty of frowards just as skilled available.

Gabryel Boubreau (LW): He was ranked 70th or higher by the major scouting agencies. RLR had him at 39, Elite Prospects had him at 46, and a couple other lesser agencies had him in the low 60's but the major ones (ISS, CS, McKeen's) all had him closer to 80. He's a highly skilled forward who lacks physical strength and is suspect in his defensive play.

Fredrik Bergvik (G): I know next to nothing about him but what little I've read makes this pick sound like a steal. Here's RLR's take on him:

Bergvik is a tall, lanky netminder who doesn't get the recognition he deserves toiling in the Swedish junior ranks, but he really came on starting around December, and has grown into Red Line's favorite sleeper candidate in the nets. He has really refined his techniques and does a good job keeping his shoulders up to cover the top corners when down in the butterfly. We like his smooth movements and confidence, and he plays with great balance and is always under control.

Everything I've read on him is simular to this.

Michael Brodzinski (D): I really like this pick. He's a very smooth skating offensive minded dman. He needs a lot of work on the defensive side of his game but he's going to a great program at the University of Minnesota which should improve that part of his game a lot.

The rest I don't know much about. However, the Emil Galimov pick intrigues me. The kid is 21 and if he went undrafted could have been signed to an ELC as a free agent. Instead the Sharks felt it necessary to hold his rights by selecting him in the draft. It makes me wonder what they saw in him to convice them to use a draft pick, even a late 7th rounder, on him.

CJdublé

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From ESPN

San Jose Sharks: B-
Mirco Mueller is one of the smoothest skaters in the draft and his upside is excellent. He plays with poise and confidence and adapted to the North American style very well, becoming a leader on his team. Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau was selected 49th overall and comes from out of left field for me. He is a hard working forward, but I do not see the high-end upside that obviously the Sharks see.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Mirco, if he was paired with Ryan Murray (2nd overall pick in 2012), how much of his performance could have been attributed to benefitting from Murray's performance? I fear that Murray made him look good.