• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NHL Draft - Sunday June 30th @ 12:00 Noon

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I must say, Im a little miffed that dougie traded a 2nd rounder in such a deep draft to move up two spots and take a guy who was not exactly a steal. I am also pissed that with a plethora of young D, and a serious dirth of young talent up front and they basically used a 1st and a 2nd to take a Dman. Mirco better turn into a player better than pickles to make this a good pick. Pickles is a very solid Dman, but the sharks need some serious punch, not just another 2nd pairing dman or 3rd liner.

So far, I have not seen the sharks make any moves that seem to set them up to move past the jumbo-patty-pavelski era. A top forward in this draft was paramount IMO, so I dunno...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also pissed that LA was able to snatch Zykov well below his ranking. Wreaks of a slew of bad move up deals for dougie:

2003: dougie moves up from 20 to 16 to snatch bernier ahead of the much higher ranked parise.
2005: Dougie moved up from 12 to 8 to snatch Setoguchi ahead of the much higher rated Kopitar. This move was probably the #1 reason why LA won and the sharks havent.

Had the sharks taken parise and kopitar, the sharks would have won the cup easily by now. I guess we'll see how it goes...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Who is this gabriel kid? TSN didnt even rank him? did dougie do his usual off-the-board pick there?

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bolland to toronto for a 3rd rnd & 4th rnd pick... Was hopin SJ would land him...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was reading that the sharks' 2nd rd pick was likely more like a mid 3rd rounder? so he was picked 20-30 places too high, eh?

So, dougie started the day with a 1st and 3 2nds and he landed a mid-level Dman who more of a defensive steady Dman and a real project forward with little chance taken well ahead of his draft ranking. Gee, nice work restocking doug...

God help the sharks when jumbo and patty are just a bit too old and dougie can no longer live off the 2003 bounty (carle--> boyle. Michalek --> havlat eventually. pavelski).

kennedy got 2M per last year, so obviously hell be in line for a raise. I would say he's worth 2M per, but not 3, so dougie needs to sign him clower to the 2M figure to make this a reasonable aquisition. If dougie gives him 3M range, then he could have added a stalberg like player for the same money while keeping the 2nd rounder.

I guess I cant judge dougie on this draft for a little while, but he sure hasnt done too well aside from cooch. The sharks have drafted a total of 1 top 6 forward and 0 bona-fide top 4 Dmen since 2006. Granted Mcginn is arguably a top 9 and maybe braun/demers will emerge as legit top 4 Dmen, and of course its too early to judge anything from 2010 on. However from the 2006, 7, 8, and 9 draft, the sharks have missed a ton.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also pissed that LA was able to snatch Zykov well below his ranking. Wreaks of a slew of bad move up deals for dougie:

2003: dougie moves up from 20 to 16 to snatch bernier ahead of the much higher ranked parise.
2005: Dougie moved up from 12 to 8 to snatch Setoguchi ahead of the much higher rated Kopitar. This move was probably the #1 reason why LA won and the sharks havent.

Had the sharks taken parise and kopitar, the sharks would have won the cup easily by now. I guess we'll see how it goes...

Much higher ranked Parise? Parise was ranked 9th among NA skaters and Bernier 11th. Their overall rankings were seperated by two spots as well. At one point Bernier was ranked in the top 3 of that entire draft where as Parise never broke the top 15. Sharks took a chance on a very boom or bust pick and it didn't work out. Wish they'd take more of those chances.

Setoguchi over Kopitar I didn't like at the time but there were a number of teams (as many as 7 if I remember correctly) trying to get that pick to draft Seto there.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Much higher ranked Parise? Parise was ranked 9th among NA skaters and Bernier 11th. Their overall rankings were seperated by two spots as well. At one point Bernier was ranked in the top 3 of that entire draft where as Parise never broke the top 15. Sharks took a chance on a very boom or bust pick and it didn't work out. Wish they'd take more of those chances.

Setoguchi over Kopitar I didn't like at the time but there were a number of teams (as many as 7 if I remember correctly) trying to get that pick to draft Seto there.

I remember the 2003 draft well and I remember parise being predicted to go very possibly in the top 10. I think he was ranked 10th overall while bernier was much lower. And the other guy ranked much higher was getzlaf, taken 3 picks later.

Who knows who was looking to take seto there? Noone will speak before the draft and no one is gunna say that they were pissed that they missed out on the guy they wanted. Maybe there was interest, but still at the time, I remember well all the forehead slapping at that pick.

Now cooch was far from off the board. Tehy picked him at 9th, but he was was ranked between 8th and 13th depending on the agency as I recall and he was the #1 overall rank before getting mono, so no one slapped the forehead there. Granted Petrecki was ranking much higher than 28th so everyone was thrilled with dougie there and he looks like a bust. Im not saying that dougie should always go with the consensus ranking, but trading up to take a player that doent fit your ogranization's needs and then picking players 30+ picks ahead of their expected spot is a waste of resources.

the sharks have one of the shallowest farm systems in the NHL. Hertl is the only blue chip prospect they have. There are few potential reasonable depth guys but aside from cooch their top 4 forwards at the start of next year are 34, 34, 29, 27 and 32 (Havlat but he's broken) and their top Dman is 37 with another top 4 just shy of 34. That's old. Very old. They only really have 1 bona fide top 6 forward under the age of 29 and No bona fide top 4 Dmen under 26 (sorry but braun demers, irwin and tennyson are far from clear 20+ min/gm reliable solid Dmen).

Given their depth problem, I would much rather have seen dougie acquire as many quality prospects as possible, but basically with 4 picks in the top 58, they walked away with one prospect ranked in the top 80. unless dougie and co are smarter than every hockey analyst out there, they seem to have gotten a pretty pathetic haul in what is probably among the most important drafts in franchise history given the turning point that is coming soon. I reallllly hope Im wrong...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For those asking about Paquin-Boudreau. He was ranked somewhere in the 70-75 overall by central scouting. Other major scouts (Redline, ISS, McKeens, etc) had him anywhere between the late 30's to early 60's. He's a very skilled forward. Great hands, good vision, very slick playmaker who has a good shot as well. Down side to him is he is very poor in his own zone, while average in height his frame is quite small, skating wise his balance and agility are good he lacks a powerful stride thus has poor 4 stride acceleration and top speed.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For those asking about Paquin-Boudreau. He was ranked somewhere in the 70-75 overall by central scouting. Other major scouts (Redline, ISS, McKeens, etc) had him anywhere between the late 30's to early 60's. He's a very skilled forward. Great hands, good vision, very slick playmaker who has a good shot as well. Down side to him is he is very poor in his own zone, while average in height his frame is quite small, skating wise his balance and agility are good he lacks a powerful stride thus has poor 4 stride acceleration and top speed.

I thought a bunch had him ranked well into the 80's. TSN had him as late 70's (H.M.). They listed:

Craig Button: N/A | NHL CS: No. 52 NAS | ISS: No. 124 | The Hockey News: No. 88 | McKeen's: No. 82

Seems more like a late 3rd rounder, not a top 50 pick? I guess its a risky play and if he is slick and can gain size and strength, then hopefully he'll develop, but it seems like a pretty long shot at that draft spot?

Sure woulda been nice for dougie to try to move up the 10-15 spots to snatch Zykov. That Zykov pick by LA will be a key one to watch. If he ends up a bust, that would be nice, but if he becomes a solid forward, I will be pretty darn peeved...

snowsurfer13sss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well, shiitttttt today kinda sucks. It should have gone so much better than this. Only hope is that Mueller becomes a top 2 D-man at some point or you would have to think the Sharks really blew it on the "deepest" draft in recent memory.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I remember the 2003 draft well and I remember parise being predicted to go very possibly in the top 10. I think he was ranked 10th overall while bernier was much lower. And the other guy ranked much higher was getzlaf, taken 3 picks later.

Who knows who was looking to take seto there? Noone will speak before the draft and no one is gunna say that they were pissed that they missed out on the guy they wanted. Maybe there was interest, but still at the time, I remember well all the forehead slapping at that pick.

Now cooch was far from off the board. Tehy picked him at 9th, but he was was ranked between 8th and 13th depending on the agency as I recall and he was the #1 overall rank before getting mono, so no one slapped the forehead there. Granted Petrecki was ranking much higher than 28th so everyone was thrilled with dougie there and he looks like a bust. Im not saying that dougie should always go with the consensus ranking, but trading up to take a player that doent fit your ogranization's needs and then picking players 30+ picks ahead of their expected spot is a waste of resources.

the sharks have one of the shallowest farm systems in the NHL. Hertl is the only blue chip prospect they have. There are few potential reasonable depth guys but aside from cooch their top 4 forwards at the start of next year are 34, 34, 29, 27 and 32 (Havlat but he's broken) and their top Dman is 37 with another top 4 just shy of 34. That's old. Very old. They only really have 1 bona fide top 6 forward under the age of 29 and No bona fide top 4 Dmen under 26 (sorry but braun demers, irwin and tennyson are far from clear 20+ min/gm reliable solid Dmen).

Given their depth problem, I would much rather have seen dougie acquire as many quality prospects as possible, but basically with 4 picks in the top 58, they walked away with one prospect ranked in the top 80. unless dougie and co are smarter than every hockey analyst out there, they seem to have gotten a pretty pathetic haul in what is probably among the most important drafts in franchise history given the turning point that is coming soon. I reallllly hope Im wrong...

Getzlaf's final draft ranking was much higher. 5th among NA skaters but not Parise's. Starting the year Parise was considered an early 2nd round pick. He moved up to as high as 15 at one point then hoovered around 20. Bernier started the year ranked 6th moved up as high as 3rd then fell off to a early 20ish ranking.

Atlanta's GM, the team SJ traded with to get that pick, made comments reguarding the teams looking to move up all of which asked if they planned on taking Setoguchi. I believe it was seven teams.

Teams should never draft based on team needs. You draft who you believe is the best player available. If the Sharks have an overstock at one position they can always move a prospect for team needs at a later time.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Getzlaf's final draft ranking was much higher. 5th among NA skaters but not Parise's. Starting the year Parise was considered an early 2nd round pick. He moved up to as high as 15 at one point then hoovered around 20. Bernier started the year ranked 6th moved up as high as 3rd then fell off to a early 20ish ranking.

Atlanta's GM, the team SJ traded with to get that pick, made comments reguarding the teams looking to move up all of which asked if they planned on taking Setoguchi. I believe it was seven teams.

Teams should never draft based on team needs
. You draft who you believe is the best player available. If the Sharks have an overstock at one position they can always move a prospect for team needs at a later time.

Most of the time, I would agree, but not always. For example, the sharks have used 11 picks dating back to 2000 on goalies and as of now, griess is the only one to be a semi-regular NHLer. That's overdrafting at one position. I think if the best player available is head and shoulders above a second best player as a more desired position, then I would agree. If its close to a wash, then I would rather look ahead and stock the farm with the more needed position.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought a bunch had him ranked well into the 80's. TSN had him as late 70's (H.M.). They listed:

Craig Button: N/A | NHL CS: No. 52 NAS | ISS: No. 124 | The Hockey News: No. 88 | McKeen's: No. 82

Seems more like a late 3rd rounder, not a top 50 pick? I guess its a risky play and if he is slick and can gain size and strength, then hopefully he'll develop, but it seems like a pretty long shot at that draft spot?

Sure woulda been nice for dougie to try to move up the 10-15 spots to snatch Zykov. That Zykov pick by LA will be a key one to watch. If he ends up a bust, that would be nice, but if he becomes a solid forward, I will be pretty darn peeved...

At that point I don't think the Sharks had the means to move up after trading their other two 2nd round picks. This is looking like a pick simular to the Tierney pick last year. A player who the team really liked and could have been picked in the 3rd round but because they don't have a 3rd rounder they took him with a late 2nd. Tierney has turned into a prospect that should have gone mid 1st round, hopefully Boudreau will be the same.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think this draft was more anti climatic then last years lol, no big moves. But getting Kenndy was a good for the bottom 6 forwards.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At that point I don't think the Sharks had the means to move up after trading their other two 2nd round picks. This is looking like a pick simular to the Tierney pick last year. A player who the team really liked and could have been picked in the 3rd round but because they don't have a 3rd rounder they took him with a late 2nd. Tierney has turned into a prospect that should have gone mid 1st round, hopefully Boudreau will be the same.

I've been atching tierney and he does look solid, so if Gabe develops like him, that could be nice. Not sure if tierney is a mid rounder type prospect at this point, but he did have a solid year.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been atching tierney and he does look solid, so if Gabe develops like him, that could be nice. Not sure if tierney is a mid rounder type prospect at this point, but he did have a solid year.

I'm hoping Tierney gets a better chance to show his offense this next season. He is always matched up against other teams top lines in primarily defensive situations with defensive oriented wingers and he still produced at a respectable rate. I'd like to see him get a few more offensive oppertunities and PP time but being stuck behind Domi and Horvat that's going to be hard to get.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharks take goalie Fredrik Bergvik in the 4th round.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do well with goalies. How bout that?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I cant find much of anything on him. Any thoughts? haha

Here's Red Line Reports comments on him.

Bergvik is a tall, lanky netminder who doesn't get the recognition he deserves toiling in the Swedish junior ranks, but he really came on starting around December, and has grown into Red Line's favorite sleeper candidate in the nets. He has really refined his techniques and does a good job keeping his shoulders up to cover the top corners when down in the butterfly. We like his smooth movements and confidence, and he plays with great balance and is always under control.