• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NFL Rookies

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
E.J. Manuel - QB - Bills

First-rounder E.J. Manuel continues to run as the No. 3 quarterback at Bills OTAs.

Kevin Kolb and Tarvaris Jackson are rotating with the starting unit. Manuel's big chance figures to come at training camp, but this won't squash the notion that he's one of the rawest first-round quarterbacks ever selected. He's trying to learn the Bills' complicated playbook while simultaneously working on simple things like footwork. Still, Manuel's natural talent dwarfs his competitor's. We wouldn't rule him out of this derby. Related: Tarvaris Jackson, Kevin Kolb
Source: buffalobills.com

May 30 - 8:56 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
D.J. Hayden - DB - Raiders

Raiders CB D.J. Hayden has been released from the hospital following a procedure to remove scar tissue from his abdominal area.

Although Hayden's operation is now said to be linked to his previous heart procedure, it doesn't necessarily appear that any "setback" occurred. Hayden is back home, and is out for an estimated six weeks. The Raiders expect him back in time for training camp.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

May 29 - 5:39 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Vikings

Vikings first-round WR Cordarrelle Patterson will be used on kick returns, but is not yet being tried on punts.

Coach Leslie Frazier named five other players who will be given a look on punts. However, there's no denying Patterson's playmaking ability in the open field, and we anticipate the Vikings giving Patterson a chance sooner than later.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

May 29 - 4:09 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Terron Armstead - T - Saints

Saints rookie OT Terron Armstead has bulked up to 315 pounds after weighing in at 306 at February's Combine.

One of the questions about Armstead coming out was his "anchor," and added weight should help make him a more powerful player at the point of attack. Alex Marvez reports the rookie has run with the first-team throughout OTAs, and considers him the favorite to start over Charles Brown and Jason Smith.
Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

May 30 - 10:07 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Vikings

Coach Leslie Frazier says "the plan" is to ease first-round WR Cordarrelle Patterson in behind Greg Jennings and Jerome Simpson as a rookie.

This isn't the first time we've heard this, and it isn't surprising. "We don’t want to give him too much early," Frazier said. "We want to make sure we do enough to get him on the field and really go to his strengths. There are some things that we have in mind. But everything that I’ve seen, we’ll be able to utilize his talents." If Simpson flops again and Patterson shines when given the opportunity, then it will be hard to keep the rookie off the field.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

May 30 - 6:49 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I've been watching a lot of old games lately, and I wish I noticed Tavares King a little earlier. I think the Broncos may have gotten a pretty good player in him. Especially with Peyton throwing him the ball. I know they already are stacked at WR, but he might've been a find.

With Quanterus Smith, they might've had the best 5th round of anyone in the draft.

chunky415

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hello All,

First time poster and recent lurker after stumbling onto this forum. Now that we're about a week removed from the gut punch that was Crabtree's injury, I wanted to pass along some decent write-ups on Quinton Patton that I hadn't seen posted anywhere yet (apologies if either has already).

Not at all to say that his skillset will pay immediate dividends, but RotoWorld's Alex Dumonjic lays out substantive info on his thoughts of Patton being his #1 rated WR of the '13 draft. Norris' article in the second link provides a nice dovetail.

General Patton - Evaluations - Rotoworld.com

Third Day Gems: WR Patton - Evaluations - Rotoworld.com

Replacing Crabtree's production will be a collective effort, but in terms of CK's safety net, it sounds as though Boldin's already morphing into that (and really, that's been his MO wherever he's played -- dude's a bull).

Plenty hinges on Jenkins asserting himself, but if there's something to be said for CK's growth this year, widening his field of vision beyond Crabtree could prove a boon. As much as Jenkins disappointed in his rookie year, Patton's tenacity/work ethic and skillset along with McDonald's +size/strength as the #2 TE allays the immediate hand wringing reaction to losing Crabs.

Lest we forget the eventual return of the Manningham, Hunter & K-Will trio.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been watching a lot of old games lately, and I wish I noticed Tavares King a little earlier. I think the Broncos may have gotten a pretty good player in him. Especially with Peyton throwing him the ball. I know they already are stacked at WR, but he might've been a find.

With Quanterus Smith, they might've had the best 5th round of anyone in the draft.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for not calling it "tape" there. It irks me beyond belief when fans use that term.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Denard Robinson - RB - Jaguars

SI's Peter King believes rookie RB/WR Denard Robinson could be a "Kordell Stewart-slash kind of player" for the Jaguars.

Like Stewart, Robinson will see snaps all over the field, but unlike Stewart, his "home" position won't be quarterback. We also don't expect Shoelace to be doing any punting. The Jags want to get Robinson 10-15 snaps per game as a rookie. That's not bad for a fifth-round pick, but won't be enough playing time to make Robinson an option in redraft leagues. He's going to be a gadget player.
Source: Sports Illustrated

Jun 3 - 9:07 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ace Sanders - WR - Jaguars

SI's Peter King is "hearing" the Jaguars have some "very interesting offensive wrinkles" planned for rookies Ace Sanders and Denard Robinson, and believes Sanders could be a "lesser Tavon Austin."

Sanders was a playmaker at South Carolina, but is even more pint-sized than Austin at 5-foot-7, 173 pounds, and lacks Austin's home-run speed. Sanders clocked a 4.58 40-yard dash at the Combine, which isn't in the same universe as Austin's 4.34. Sanders will fight for snaps in the slot, but is unlikely to affect games outside of special teams as a rookie. Related: Denard Robinson

Jun 3 - 9:02 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keenan Allen - WR - Chargers

The National Football Post's Dan Pompei reports that Chargers third-round WR Keenan Allen (knee) still isn't 100 percent healthy.

Allen tore his left PCL last October. He was a full participant at rookie minicamp, so if he isn't 100 percent then he's got to be close. Allen ran a 4.77 forty at his Pro Day, contributing to his slide down the draft board. The Chargers reportedly think his tape says he plays at 4.55 speed. Allen is expected to challenge for snaps immediately as a rookie.
Source: National Football Post

Jun 2 - 9:35 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
D.J. Swearinger - DB - Texans

Texans rookie S D.J. Swearinger has earned the praise of his coaches throughout OTAs.

With Ed Reed (hip) out, Swearinger has been taking first-team reps. Coach Gary Kubiak describes Swearinger as having "a ton of confidence. He just walks out here like he belongs, and he does. He’s got a ton of ability. He’s a smart player." Although he'll return to the second-team in base packages when Reed gets back, Kubiak says the plan is to use the rookie in dime packages going forward. Expect Swearinger to see time on defense and special teams this season.
Source: houstontexans.com

Jun 1 - 12:35 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jonathan Cooper - G - Cardinals

Cardinals first-round pick Jonathan Cooper continues to line up with the starters at left guard.

The Cardinals appear set on moving Daryn Colledge to right guard, allowing Cooper to stick on the side he operated at as a Tar Heel. If Colledge can settle in, the Cardinals' offensive line has a very real shot to improve on last year's league-worst performance. Mediocrity should be their goal. Related: Daryn Colledge
Source: Associated Press

Jun 4 - 11:17 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tyrann Mathieu - DB - Cardinals

Carson Palmer compares third-round Cardinals DB Tyrann Mathieu to Troy Polamalu.

"He might not be the fastest guy out there, but he can change directions and get to the ball really fast, like Troy," Palmer said. Per King, Mathieu is "clearly at home" on the practice field, and making a strong impression in OTAs. For what Mathieu lacks in size (5-9, 186), he makes up for it in play-making ability.

Jun 10 - 10:21 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cordarrelle Patterson drawing raves in spring

ESPN's Kevin Seifert says a half-dozen people have told him recently how impressive rookie Cordarrelle Patterson has been this offseason.

Patterson was a lock to excel in non-padded drills in which defenders aren't allowed to touch him. He's a physical freak that can run by anyone. The key to beating out Jerome Simpson for the starting split end job will be getting off jams at the line of scrimmage and running crisp routes in traffic. Patterson won't have a chance to show he's polished enough to do that until camp.
Source: ESPN.com

Jun 20 - 8:17 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ezekiel Ansah - DL - Lions

The Lions will use No. 5 overall pick Ziggy Ansah exclusively at right end after he moved all around the defense at BYU.

Ansah played mostly in a two-point stance in college, but the Lions believe he's best rushing with his hand in the dirt from a Wide-9 technique, just as he did in a dominant Senior Bowl performance. "When we got him in the Senior Bowl, we wanted to find out (what he could do)," DC Gunther Cunningham explained. "We put him in one spot and let him play, and (DL coach Kris Kocurek) and I were laughing in the fourth quarter because Kris told me he’s going to be the MVP." Ansah was indeed MVP. He'll be a double-digit sack threat as a rookie.
Source: Detroit Free Press

Jun 21 - 12:58 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ricky Stanzi - QB - Chiefs

Chiefs QB Ricky Stanzi "might have the early edge" over undrafted rookie Tyler Bray for No. 3 duties.

That doesn't mean Stanzi is going to win the job. Stanzi has reportedly just picked up new coach Andy Reid's offense quicker. Bray undoubtedly has better physical skills, and he has as strong an arm as anyone in the league. The Chiefs are "hopeful" Bray can beat Stanzi out for the job, and we'd bet he will.
Source: National Football Post

Jun 23 - 10:01 AM