• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Flyers Game Summaries

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st, i agree on subban.. he hasn't done anything to make me think he's worth going after.. he's a decent player with good upside, but that doesn't make him worth couturier (+?) which is what it would take to get him

2nd, the defense definitely hasn't looked good, but i'm much more concerned about the offense right now.. 3 goals through 3 games and they've really only looked dangerous or 2 or 3 periods

the flyers definitely have some work to do.. relying on schenn, couturier, read, simmonds, and talbot to match last years production is really lofty, especially considering how things have started (aka, only 1 of them seems to be showing up consistently)

I wouldn't sit Read. I thought he played well actually.

Problem is nobody has [;ayed well. Our defense looks totally lost trying to move the puck out of our zone, we need our forwards to play physical in both ends. We also need to be more physical down low, we.re trying to make to many passes(lookin at you Voraceck)

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B Schenn looked alright, he needs to figure out how to retrieve the puck from his skates though

L Schenn looked really good IMO

Couturier at least showed up in this one, prior to the other 2 games, started to look real good on the PK

Laughton had his best game so far

Simmonds looked alright

Bryz was fine

outside of that.. the team was pretty weak.. mesz was freakin horrible, i cant believe there are people out there (meltzer and the hockeybuzz posters) that are saying he's looked good.. he's a turnover machine and that first goal was his best impression of andreas lilja.. holy turnstyled.. i'd give him some slack because i'm sure he's rusty as hell, but i gotta make up for people praising him.. him and matt read are competing for the worst looking flyers through 3 games IMO

I don't know. Read was one of the few guys I saw skating hard last night. I'm not as high as some are in regards to Mez but I'm not as down on him as you are either. First goal coverage was none existent. Mez was only one back. Coburn was off somwhere else, Coots should've taken the guy in front of the net but didn't. Everyone seemed to think Mez was moving around good last night and looked pretty good. I don't think he's been a superstar so far but he hasn't been terrible either.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't sit Read. I thought he played well actually.

we need more from him offensively if he's gunna be a top 6 winger.. 1 shot in 20 minutes isn't going to cut it (giroux isn't exempt either, no shots last night)

gotta shoot to score gentlemen.. dont care if it's not an open shot, pull the trigger and look for bounces.. pretty goals come when you're clicking.. the flyers are so far from clicking sometimes it looks like they can't even see each other (might have something to do with the hulking dmen standing in between them and where they want to pass)

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is nobody has [;ayed well. Our defense looks totally lost trying to move the puck out of our zone, we need our forwards to play physical in both ends. We also need to be more physical down low, we.re trying to make to many passes(lookin at you Voraceck)

lol let me rephrase that. Instead of saying Read played well I should have said he skated hard and hustled. With the way the Flyers have been playing my expectations have dropped a little bit. haha

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need more from him offensively if he's gunna be a top 6 winger.. 1 shot in 20 minutes isn't going to cut it (giroux isn't exempt either, no shots last night)

gotta shoot to score gentlemen.. dont care if it's not an open shot, pull the trigger and look for bounces.. pretty goals come when you're clicking.. the flyers are so far from clicking sometimes it looks like they can't even see each other (might have something to do with the hulking dmen standing in between them and where they want to pass)

I agree, but like you said this applies to all of them and not just Read.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. Read was one of the few guys I saw skating hard last night. I'm not as high as some are in regards to Mez but I'm not as down on him as you are either. First goal coverage was none existent. Mez was only one back. Coburn was off somwhere else, Coots should've taken the guy in front of the net but didn't. Everyone seemed to think Mez was moving around good last night and looked pretty good. I don't think he's been a superstar so far but he hasn't been terrible either.

my problem wasn't the coverage on the back end.. the devils should've never got the puck in deep there.. it sneaked out of the o-zone past an outstretched couturier, and then mesz took a horrible angle and whoever it was that carried the puck in blew by him.. the flyers never should've been in position to be woefully out of position in the dzone..

mesz is moving fine, but not always moving where he should be going.. and he really hasn't looked good moving the puck IMO.. but he fits in with everyone on defense at this point in that category.. LSchenn is the only one that's had a good game moving the puck (last night)

dont get me wrong, i love mesz, i just don't think he's performing any better than the rest of the defense

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
my problem wasn't the coverage on the back end.. the devils should've never got the puck in deep there.. it sneaked out of the o-zone past an outstretched couturier, and then mesz took a horrible angle and whoever it was that carried the puck in blew by him.. the flyers never should've been in position to be woefully out of position in the dzone..

mesz is moving fine, but not always moving where he should be going.. and he really hasn't looked good moving the puck IMO.. but he fits in with everyone on defense at this point in that category.. LSchenn is the only one that's had a good game moving the puck (last night)

dont get me wrong, i love mesz, i just don't think he's performing any better than the rest of the defense

mesz hands look like he hasnt played in 6 months and he looks slow, which is understandable. speaking of slow lets talk about coburn and timmonen. now timmonen is roughly 50 so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt about speed, though my issues with him arent necessarily speed. coburn, who must play at an all star level this year for us to be succesful, looks awful.

offensively, where do i start. voracek needs to figure out what he wants to be because in this team he will be expected to shoot the freaking puck when he has the opportunity. if the coaches arent laying into him about shooting i have big time issues. he passes up open shots all of the time for the extra pass, stop it! giroux will be fine, when you line up against the best d line of the other team every game he is gonna get shut down sometimes, especially right now because there is no second offensive line for the flyers so the opposing team can run fresh legs against him every shift.

bright spots.....luke schenn, laughton...bryz i think has played well would like to see them play in front here soon.

on a side note i will go ahead and just say it...first prefaced by i love laviolette and his style and think that he is the ideal coach for this city. that being said since he has taken over this team we have been consistently plagued with slow starts and defensive breakdowns. the rap on coaches of his style (and he has a history of this) is that the message gets lost after a few years. now i dont know if the players don't fear him anymore or what but this year will be interesting to see what holmgren does with his coaching situation if they continue these trends.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two games in a row now I've seen Kimmo get hit in the face by the opposing team. That should be a no-no. He's a respected, skilled vet on this team. When that happens some one needs to step up and fight for him just like they would for one of our skilled forwards.

Simmonds was one of the few playing with any balls last night.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mesz hands look like he hasnt played in 6 months and he looks slow, which is understandable. speaking of slow lets talk about coburn and timmonen. now timmonen is roughly 50 so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt about speed, though my issues with him arent necessarily speed. coburn, who must play at an all star level this year for us to be succesful, looks awful.

offensively, where do i start. voracek needs to figure out what he wants to be because in this team he will be expected to shoot the freaking puck when he has the opportunity. if the coaches arent laying into him about shooting i have big time issues. he passes up open shots all of the time for the extra pass, stop it! giroux will be fine, when you line up against the best d line of the other team every game he is gonna get shut down sometimes, especially right now because there is no second offensive line for the flyers so the opposing team can run fresh legs against him every shift.

bright spots.....luke schenn, laughton...bryz i think has played well would like to see them play in front here soon.

on a side note i will go ahead and just say it...first prefaced by i love laviolette and his style and think that he is the ideal coach for this city. that being said since he has taken over this team we have been consistently plagued with slow starts and defensive breakdowns. the rap on coaches of his style (and he has a history of this) is that the message gets lost after a few years. now i dont know if the players don't fear him anymore or what but this year will be interesting to see what holmgren does with his coaching situation if they continue these trends.

to the bold: yep, i had high hopes for him this year, but so far he's looked a little lost

like i said before, mesz definitely has an excuse to play poorly, i just get irritated reading that people think he's been the only dman playing above expectations.. maybe i have different expectations of people, but LSchenn is the only one playing around my expectations for them.. coburn is way low, timonen is low, grossmann is astronomically (s)low, gervais was fine, foster was fine, mesz is low

agree w/ everything you said about voracek..

i wouldn't be surprised at all if lavy got the boot.. if the brass sees a down year, lavy will be gone and murray will be behind the bench coaching up the youngsters.. i think our first real indicator of this will come this weekend when they have to decide what to do with laughton.. he's probably played well enough to stay, but do you burn a contract year if you're a borderline playoff team at best? decisions to make for sure

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two games in a row now I've seen Kimmo get hit in the face by the opposing team. That should be a no-no. He's a respected, skilled vet on this team. When that happens some one needs to step up and fight for him just like they would for one of our skilled forwards.

Simmonds was one of the few playing with any balls last night.

this

Where is Shitty?
time to bring in some thumpers

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mez and Coburn look brutal. Hopefully they are just gettting legs back.No excuse though.

PP needs to stop being fancy. Fire the fucking puck and grab the rebounds. Simple.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mez and Coburn look brutal. Hopefully they are just gettting legs back.No excuse though.

PP needs to stop being fancy. Fire the fucking puck and grab the rebounds. Simple.

Simmonds and Hartnell both seem to get really good looks right in front of the goal but they haven't been able to finish.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schenn has a hearing about his hit last night. Wonder if he'll get suspended for leaving his feet.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schenn has a hearing about his hit last night. Wonder if he'll get suspended for leaving his feet.

That's a joke. I wonder where Clarkson's call is for the way he lead with his elbow on the big hit on Kimmo.

AS far as the team play, I'm disgusted. They're not playing with any balls as a whole. The coverages are beyond weak, they can't gain the zone with any sort of consistancy & guys are looking timid out there. I'm not sure if Lavy did try to tweak the system a bit to be more defensively minded(if so it's not working) but they need to get off their fucking heels and start attacking. They also need to bring Sestito in for the Rags game since it's gonna be brutal anyway.

Bryz has been pretty damn solid IMO though, he looks like he's put the spotlight out of his head and tried to focus on playing, no if the rest of the team would follow suit we'd be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a joke. I wonder where Clarkson's call is for the way he lead with his elbow on the big hit on Kimmo.

AS far as the team play, I'm disgusted. They're not playing with any balls as a whole. The coverages are beyond weak, they can't gain the zone with any sort of consistancy & guys are looking timid out there. I'm not sure if Lavy did try to tweak the system a bit to be more defensively minded(if so it's not working) but they need to get off their fucking heels and start attacking. They also need to bring Sestito in for the Rags game since it's gonna be brutal anyway.

Bryz has been pretty damn solid IMO though, he looks like he's put the spotlight out of his head and tried to focus on playing, no if the rest of the team would follow suit we'd be ok.

+100000000000000

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

+100000000000000

yep, damn good post bandit.

only thing i have to add, they need to stop trying to gain the zone. dump the puck in and run the fuckers.. this fancy BS at the blueline (giroux, voracek, couturier are the primary culprits) are slaughtering them.. you turn it over there when everyone is going full force up the ice, you end up with at least 2 guys trailling the play and our not-so-fleet of foot defensement having to stop and start back towards bryz.. its a recipe for disaster.. if you turn the puck over at the offensive blue line one time the way things are playing right now, it will end up in the back of the net.. get the puck in deep, worst case scenario, nothing gets going and you have 4-5 guys back to defend

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big fan of dump and chase, however I've always liked chipping the puck softly up the boards and having the forwards weave in on the fore check to retrieve it(it's much clearer in my head what I mean). The problem with dump & chase is that even when they're attempting that you only have 1 guy going after the puck and his support is way out of position. As far as dancing at the blue line well that's always bad, you're lucky to pull that off 25% of the time. I do blame a lot of this on them not being ready to play Lavy's up tempo system, that's been painfully obvious to me. This kind of reminds me of how things looked when Lavy first got here honestly.

I hope Homer doesn't do something stupid and make a big trade just to make one, or trade away our good young players.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Lavy and his system but he has to realize that it won't match up well to every team. He needs to not be stubborn and and tweak it a little bit when matched up against certain teams...NJ is one of them.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big fan of dump and chase, however I've always liked chipping the puck softly up the boards and having the forwards weave in on the fore check to retrieve it(it's much clearer in my head what I mean). The problem with dump & chase is that even when they're attempting that you only have 1 guy going after the puck and his support is way out of position. As far as dancing at the blue line well that's always bad, you're lucky to pull that off 25% of the time. I do blame a lot of this on them not being ready to play Lavy's up tempo system, that's been painfully obvious to me. This kind of reminds me of how things looked when Lavy first got here honestly.

I hope Homer doesn't do something stupid and make a big trade just to make one, or trade away our good young players.

that's actually a real solid point