• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10 (Bold or Otherwise) Predictions for the Upcoming Season

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11. After an early adjustment period, the offense begins to click and overall team D improves, resulting in fewer shots against. However, both Emery and Mason falter, leaving Flyers fans clamoring for Holmgren to acquire a stud goalie. :whistle:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11. After an early adjustment period, the offense begins to click and overall team D improves, resulting in fewer shots against. However, both Emery and Mason falter, leaving Flyers fans clamoring for Holmgren to acquire a stud goalie. :whistle:

:doh::bawling::wtf2:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if Giroux doesn't go out and validate his contract extension immediately and just a point per game pace won't quite be enough to do that, so I wouldn't be shocked if he went for 95+ and threatened the triple digit barrier, especially if he plays in every game. That 93 point season two years ago was not an aberration and coming off a sure disappointment last season, he'll be looking to prove that asap. He is always lights out on the power play and once his even strength play comes around, watch out.

Otherwise, it's a little early for me to be making predictions. I've been out of the loop for awhile and just getting back into it.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure that this could be called a prediction, but I'm all but certain that Homer isn't done yet. There are lots of teams looking for a top 4 D and top 6 F now. I could see Homer trying to free up some cap space while acquiring a direct replacement for Timonen or attempting to grab a few more blue chip prospects. I know every team asks for Cooter & Schenn but we also have Read & Harts at F skill & grit respectively plus Coburn, Grossman & Mez on the back end. I am a form believer that more offer sheets & trades not happening this off season is solely due o the cap dropping, however the buy-outs did make for some fun.

My bold prediction is that we win the division in a knockdown drag out dog fight that wraps up the final game of the season.

MisterHyd3

Pizza is delicious.
Born in Port Richmond, currently living in South J
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Hartnell loses his top line spot due to an injury and regression. Read gets bumped up, and the line of Read-Giroux-Voracek becomes a thing of beauty. -- I hope you're wrong on Scotty. He'll never be an elite player in this league, but he's a damn good locker room guy and no one could ever say he doesn't work his ass off on the ice.

2. Scott Laughton goes back to Oshawa. -- Agreed. I think he's better off getting 18 minutes a night in the OHL than 7 minutes per of 4th line duty in the NHL. Continued seasoning should hopefully equal continued progression.

3. Mason proves me wrong and plays like a capable starter. Emery as well is a fine backup, but never truly challenges to be our #1. -- I'd like to see Emery challenge ALL SEASON because competition would be good for both players. Hope you're right on Mason and wrong on Emery.

4. Gus continues his beastly play from down the stretch and solidifies a top 4 spot while scoring 30+ points. -- Would love to see this. If Cody Franson can do it in Toronto as a 5-6 pairing guy, I don't see why Gus couldn't do it here as a 5-6 pairing guy. I'm dreaming big for this season, man.

5. Couturier's offense slowly progresses, racking up 35 points and the 3rd line with stellar defensive play. -- 35 points as a 3rd line center at age 21 (assuming he ends up comfortably as a plus corsi and +/- player by the end of the year AND stays healthy) is fine by me. This kid is never going to be an offensive wizard, in my opinion, but he WILL be a guy EVERY team in the league wants.

6. Streit becomes our defensive whipping boy, and rightfully so. That being said he will add great offense to our 2nd PP unit. -- Matt Carle 2.0, hahaha. That said, I DO like his offensive upside.

7. Vinny plays streaky, but ends up with a solid season. -- Agreed. He's been streaky the last few seasons. That said, he's got two young, talented, high-motor wings with him this season. If he doesn't produce, it won't be for lack of effort.

8. The Schenn brothers break out big time. Luke becomes a legit #2 defenseman who stills lacks offense. Brayden becomes a dominant force, and improves on his consistency. -- I'm not sure I see Luke becoming that legit #2 guy yet. His Corsi numbers with vs. without Kimmo on his line are pretty staggering. (Here's a great article on that: Looking back on Luke Schenn's first season with the Flyers - Broad Street Hockey). That said, I think Luke continues to progress and round into a 3-4 pairing guy (talent-wise) before EVENTUALLY becoming a true #2 defender a year or two down the road. He's been a slow-cooker, but he'll get there.

As for Brayden, if there was ever a time for him to really explode, it's now. He's got Simmer and one of the best forwards of the last 20 years sharing a line with him. He's gonna get 17 minutes a night, and he's got the green light to shoot the puck. It's time for him to show us why he was such a celebrated acquisition, and a "light in the darkness" that was the Mike Richards trade.

9. Giroux scores around 83 points. -- 83 is a good number, but assuming he and Jake continue building that excellent chemistry we saw between them last season, I don't see why he can't break 90 points again.

10. Voracek outscores Giroux, and pushes for the Art Ross. -- Haha, I'd be okay with this as long as it didn't mean G had a bad year =P

My remarks are bolded in red above. Thank you for taking the time to reply :suds: