• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Top Prospects

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about the rule V draft and it crossed my mind that will Villalona have to be protected this year? The rule is "a player signed age 18 or younger and has been in the organization for 5 years". This is his 5th year. So he is eligible right? Or was his 2010-2011 seasons not counted?

If so, he will have to be added to the 40 man, which could actually be beneficial to him. Hopefully he progresses faster.

We talked about this in a GDT a few days back.

The rule V rules are a bit cryptic, I think. What a "year" mean? If a player appears in a single game, does that count as a year? Does AnVil's 2 missed years count?

I don't know. But the drafting team will take over the contract and they will have to keep the player on the 25 man roster the entire season (or DL).

I think the G's can afford to expose him to the rule V if t have to.

sunset Ed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
comments on prospects list

I generally agree on you prospect evaluation with the following exceptions..In evaluating players 3 key stats I look at are SLG OPS and strike outs.

Catcher..Eric Sim AZL..When evaluating players the key stats I look at are slugging percentage(SLG), On Base plus slugging(OPS), and strike outs..Sims had great stats
His SLG was 586 with an OPS of 1.024 and in 352 ABS he struck out on 35 times with a batting average of 352 with 6 HRs 37 RBIs and 51 hits in 43 games..

First Base Joe Mazzola..Augusta I like his stats..Among First baseman other than Brett Pill Joe had the best stats.. AN SLG at 427 an OPS of 769. In 104 games and 386 ABS he hit
259 with 100 hits 13 HRS and 50 RBIs. The stat that concerns me is he struck out 90 times..

Second Base. I feel that our tow bast prospects are not on your list Alberto Robles DSL and Kaohi Downing Salem.
First Robles..In 55 games and 183 ABS he hit 344 with 63 hits
36 RBIs 19 Stolen bases with a slugging percentage of 399 and an OPS of 858. He only struck out 19 times.
Downing in 52 games and 183 ABS hit 312 with 58 hits a SLG of 403 an an OPS of 787..He only struck out 36 times.

third Base Garrett Buechele DSL.He signed late...It's early and he only played 9 games..But lookat these stats..In 39 abs he hit 308 with 2 hrs a slg of 513 and an OPS of 838.. Its early but Garrett is someone who should be on the radar..

OF There are two players that should be on the list. They are Elliot Blair AZL and
Shawn Payne Salem..
Elliot Blair in 37 games and 114 ABS hit 338 with a SLG of 521 and an OPS of 921.. He only struck out 29 times.
Shawn Payne in 57 games and 160 ABS hit 306 with a SLG of 394 and an OPS of 825. He only struck out 32 times.

Sunset Ed

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 10: I left Kamp and Chez3 off my other lists because they had some taste in teh Majors, but I guess I should be keeping them as prospects.

1) Gary Brown
2) Joseph Panik
3) Tommy Joseph
4) Heath Hembree
5) Andrew Susac
6) Francisco Peguero
7) Kyle Crick
8) Hector Sanchez
9) Erik Surkamp
10) Ehire Adrianza

Lookout for Jacob Dunnington and Brett Bochy as relievers, they should ascend quickly.

Blackburn, Osich and Mejia all played limited last year, but all have really good potential as starting pitchers. Seth Rosin is poised for a breakout year, may crack the top 10 next year.

Adam Duvall and Alex Burg are my hitter sleepers this year. Duvall plays third, has a big power bat. Burg plays 3rd,1st and catches and shows a lively bat as well. And don't forget about Villalona. Reports have him in good shape, but showing some rust (former number 1 prospect).

Sleepers:

Hitting, Adam Duvall

Pitcher, Clayton Blackburn

There are many, but these 2 guys, in my opinion, have the best chance to have the biggest impact while having the least amount of attention.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 10: I left Kamp and Chez3 off my other lists because they had some taste in teh Majors, but I guess I should be keeping them as prospects.

1) Gary Brown
2) Joseph Panik
3) Tommy Joseph
4) Heath Hembree
5) Andrew Susac
6) Francisco Peguero
7) Kyle Crick
8) Hector Sanchez
9) Erik Surkamp
10) Ehire Adrianza

Lookout for Jacob Dunnington and Brett Bochy as relievers, they should ascend quickly.

Blackburn, Osich and Mejia all played limited last year, but all have really good potential as starting pitchers. Seth Rosin is poised for a breakout year, may crack the top 10 next year.

Adam Duvall and Alex Burg are my hitter sleepers this year. Duvall plays third, has a big power bat. Burg plays 3rd,1st and catches and shows a lively bat as well. And don't forget about Villalona. Reports have him in good shape, but showing some rust (former number 1 prospect).

Sleepers:

Hitting, Adam Duvall

Pitcher, Clayton Blackburn

There are many, but these 2 guys, in my opinion, have the best chance to have the biggest impact while having the least amount of attention.

I like this list.

Dr. B had this same top 4, and I agree with it, in this order. Baggs had Panik at #4 instead of 2, but I just don't see ToJo or Hembree beating him out for the spot.

This Big Four is not as exciting as the previous Big Four (Posey, Bum, Alderson, AnVil), but I think there is a better shot of ALL these guys making it (the last four are 2-1-1 so far).

Here is my top 10...

Brown
Panik
Joseph
Hembree
Susac
Peguero
Crick
Sanchez
Adrianza
Oropesa

I like Kamp. I REALLY like Fuentes. I like Dominguez. I am not a HUGE fan of Franky Peggs, but he still has the potential to break out.

Oropessa I am VERY interested in. He was a MONSTER with the old bats, and has a track record of success in Cape Cod. He had a bad Sr year at USC, but for a good portion of the year, they did not have his bat size available. I have not seen him rated on anyone's top 10, so I am likely over-valuing him, but I just wanted to make a point with this ranking. He COULD be the next big kid out of out system...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this list.

Dr. B had this same top 4, and I agree with it, in this order. Baggs had Panik at #4 instead of 2, but I just don't see ToJo or Hembree beating him out for the spot.

This Big Four is not as exciting as the previous Big Four (Posey, Bum, Alderson, AnVil), but I think there is a better shot of ALL these guys making it (the last four are 2-1-1 so far).

Here is my top 10...

Brown
Panik
Joseph
Hembree
Susac
Peguero
Crick
Sanchez
Adrianza
Oropesa

I like Kamp. I REALLY like Fuentes. I like Dominguez. I am not a HUGE fan of Franky Peggs, but he still has the potential to break out.

Oropessa I am VERY interested in. He was a MONSTER with the old bats, and has a track record of success in Cape Cod. He had a bad Sr year at USC, but for a good portion of the year, they did not have his bat size available. I have not seen him rated on anyone's top 10, so I am likely over-valuing him, but I just wanted to make a point with this ranking. He COULD be the next big kid out of out system...

Agreed on the big 4, the former 4 all had superstar potential. This big 4 has the chance to be solid from every spot, and 3 of them fill the 3 most important positions on the field (the up the middle spots).

Giants have a lot of interesting hitters coming up through the system. Dominguez is being overlooked a bit, could be a contributor next year, as well as Pegs. I expect the Giants to draft more high school arms in next years draft, in what is expected to be a pitcher friendly draft.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed on the big 4, the former 4 all had superstar potential. This big 4 has the chance to be solid from every spot, and 3 of them fill the 3 most important positions on the field (the up the middle spots).

Giants have a lot of interesting hitters coming up through the system. Dominguez is being overlooked a bit, could be a contributor next year, as well as Pegs. I expect the Giants to draft more high school arms in next years draft, in what is expected to be a pitcher friendly draft.

The system is really full of high upside guys right now.

Crick, Blackburn, and Mejia all have the potential to be top of the rotation arms.Flip side, they're all so young that they could just as likely turn into nothing, but I like our orgs chances on developing really young pitchers with plus stuff.

Honestly, I see them continuing drafting college hitters with their first few picks. With the new slotting system, teams won't be able to throw obscene amounts of money at HS kids to get them signed. Essentially, only the guys who actually show interest in signing will get picked, cause otherwise you just wasted your pick on a kid who won't sign for the slotted amount.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tz is a fan of a guy from UM named "Rosin"...

Go figure...

i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening night lineup for Mini-Giants:

Lollis-CF
Susac!-C
Panik-SS
Duvall-3B
Oropesa-1B
Burg-LF
Parker-RF
Anders-DH
Juracia-2B
Sanford-P

Interesting to see Susac hitting second. Exciting lineup though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening night lineup for Mini-Giants:

Lollis-CF
Susac!-C
Panik-SS
Duvall-3B
Oropesa-1B
Burg-LF
Parker-RF
Anders-DH
Juracia-2B
Sanford-P

Interesting to see Susac hitting second. Exciting lineup though.

All your High-A are belong to Susac!

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not sure if he's been linked here or not, but DrBGiantsfan runs a great blog covering the minor league system. If you want one-stop shopping to see how your favorite prospect did that day - check him out.

And if you like to do all the leg work yourself then visit the MiLB scoreboard.

Poot tzill, his boy was 0-5 with 3K's in his San Jose debut.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if he's been linked here or not, but DrBGiantsfan runs a great blog covering the minor league system. If you want one-stop shopping to see how your favorite prospect did that day - check him out.

And if you like to do all the leg work yourself then visit the MiLB scoreboard.

Poot tzill, his boy was 0-5 with 3K's in his San Jose debut.

He's just setting them up...you'll see. :finger::finger:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Charlie Culberson and Roger Kieschnick are off to hot starts in Fresno:

CC (2B) - .421/.500/.474
RK ( RF) - .462/.500/.762

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As are :

Chris Dominguez in Richmond .556/.556/.944/1.500 (notice the slacker has no walks ;) )

-and-

Jarrett Parker in SJ : .278/.409/.722/1.131

Joe Panik in SJ is no slacker either .263/.391/.421/.812

I'll be watching the baby Giants play this coming Sunday - it's supposed to be great weather.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really a prospect, but he does offer some SP insurance...

Eric Hacker is back in the org. I totally missed that signing.