• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Rookies

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
History says WR Floyd won't start
11:03AM ET
Michael Floyd | Cardinals

The Arizona Cardinals used the 13th overall pick to select Michael Floyd in this year's draft. So that means he'll slide right in as the No. 2 starting wide receiver across from Larry Fitzgerald, right? Well, Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com is among the pundits who thinks that will not be the case.

"Will Floyd be a part of the offense? Of course. At least he should. But start? I don't think so. Not from Day One," Urban said.

Part of his reasoning has to do with how coach Ken Whisenhunt has handled the Cardinals' No. 1 picks in the past.

"Bottom line, he prefers to ease his top picks into the lineup, and earn their way," Urban noted.

You can follow the above link to see the specifics of when exactly each of their top picks made his first start, but the gist is that the only No. 1s to start right away arguably did so only due to a lack of competition or injuries that opened up a spot.

Expect Floyd's role to be limited early on, but it should increase quickly if he proves on the field that he's up to the challenge.

- Tom Carpenter​

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What a crazy mess

yep, but this doesn't seem like Jenkins is causing this mess? ie i wouldn't attribute this one to his supposed "character issues".

Fisher has to back off and even harder............not hold a 'grudge'. Fisher needs to give Jenkins every opportunity to excel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, but this doesn't seem like Jenkins is causing this mess? ie i wouldn't attribute this one to his supposed "character issues".

Fisher has to back off and even harder............not hold a 'grudge'. Fisher needs to give Jenkins every opportunity to excel.

I agree with the bolded, but want to make sure you are not inferring my comment to be an indictment of Jenkins character, because it certainly was not.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

REP!!

But I agree with Fisher though, well to some extent on this issue. I was thinking before the draft occurred that if the 9ers were to draft Jenkins, even as a hardcore fan of his I would have wanted Baalke and company to mandate or worded in his contract that he needs to establish a restrictive financial management account similar to an "escrow account" (do we have any MBA students here that can assist me in explaining this further?) that would assure that he has money set aside (at least 10% of his weekly salary) for the sole purpose of his financial obligation - in particular child support. I agree with Fisher in that notion. However, I disagree with Fisher on the basis of him delegating or directing him as to whom in particular he needs to establish this account with. Just as long as he has an account created - tied in into his contract for the purpose of paying his child support then I wouldn't care less who this 3rd party vendor is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
REP!!

But I agree with Fisher though, well to some extent on this issue. I was thinking before the draft occurred that if the 9ers were to draft Jenkins, even as a hardcore fan of his I would have wanted Baalke and company to mandate or worded in his contract that he needs to establish a restrictive financial management account similar to an "escrow account" (do we have any MBA students here that can assist me in explaining this further?) that would assure that he has money set aside (at least 10% of his weekly salary) for the sole purpose of his financial obligation - in particular child support. I agree with Fisher in that notion. However, I disagree with Fisher on the basis of him delegating or directing him as to whom in particular he needs to establish this account with. Just as long as he has an account created - tied in into his contract for the purpose of paying his child support then I wouldn't care less who this 3rd party vendor is.

I'm certainly no MBA but it seems to me that both mandates are out of the jurisdiction of the NFL, StL and Fisher . The idea is quite noble and there certainly can be a "gentlemen's agreement" as to the matter, but child support laws are enforced by the state or states not the employer.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Could third-rounder start for Bears?
3:59PM ET
Brandon Hardin | Bears

Brandon Hardin missed the 2011 season at Oregon State with a shoulder injury, which is why he was still on the board when the Chicago Bears drafted him in the third round. Hardin is healthy now, though, and the Bears seem impressed enough with Hardin's size and speed to consider starting him at some point ahead of Major Wright and Chris Conte. ESPN.com NFC North blogger Kevin Seifert has more:

- Vince Verhei​

Kevin Seifert
Could Hardin start this year?

"Given the Bears' revolving door at safety under coach Lovie Smith, it seems reasonable to assume Hardin will get his chance at some point this season. The Bears' top two safeties entering training camp -- Major Wright and Chris Conte -- were third-round picks as well. Until then, you can expect Hardin to see action on as many special teams groups as the Bears can squeeze him into. But unless he proves a complete bust, a 6-foot-3 safety will get an opportunity for a prominent job sooner rather later."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niners disappointed in Jenkins?
3:50PM ET
A.J. Jenkins | 49ers

Though the returning Michael Crabtree and veteran free agents Randy Moss and Mario Manningham gave the San Francisco 49ers options at wide receiver, they still drafted A.J. Jenkins out of Illinois in the first round, hoping the wideout would flash enough natural talent to stick out on the depth chart. Well, he hasn't.

"He hasn't looked very good," an unnamed team observer tells Dan Arkush of Pro Football Weekly. "He displayed some flashes with a few really difficult catches, but he's also looked really bad at times, and he seems to have had problems staying on his feet.

"It's early. Maybe he'll show more in training camp."

- Vince Verhei​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will Claiborne make camp?
3:14PM ET
Morris Claiborne | Cowboys

The Dallas Cowboys open training camp in a little more than two weeks, so they have plenty of time to get first-round draft pick Morris Claiborne under contract. However, Claiborne's agent indicates there's a good chance that won't happen.

"I have no idea, don't know," Bus Cook tells Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com about Claiborne's availability for training camp from a contractual standpoint. "I don't know. We'll see."

"Claiborne is also recovering from wrist surgery that's kept him out of all the offseason workouts," Watkins writes. "He's able to lift weights, do classroom work and some cardo, but he hasn't had any contact with receivers.

"Claiborne said recently he hopes to be cleared to practice once training camp starts, but if he doesn't have a contract he will have to wait at home."

- Vince Verhei​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fitzgerald calls out Floyd
1:54PM ET
Larry Fitzgerald | Cardinals

Star wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald was reportedly one of those within the Arizona Cardinals pushing for the team to draft Michael Floyd out of Notre Dame. Well, be careful what you wish for. Fitzgerald has been unhappy with Floyd's work effort, and took to Twitter to scold the youngster publicly.

"Just finished a great workout with Wellefast," Fitzgerald wrote, referring to WelleFast Elite Sports Training in Maple Grove, Minn. "I'm charging [Floyd] with a DWI 'don't want it' he missed a 3rd straight workout 2day."

An interesting choice of words, there. Fitzgerald didn't just knock Floyd's desire, he also needled Floyd about past mistakes. Floyd was suspended at Notre Dame after a drunk driving arrest.

In short, Fitzgerald is telling Floyd to stay out of trouble and get to work.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Irsay: Colts close to Luck deal
7:29AM ET
Andrew Luck | Colts

As the team in possession of the No. 1 overall pick in this past April's draft, the Indianapolis Colts were allowed to begin their negotiations with Andrew Luck prior to officially using that pick on him. Months have past since that point, with no deal yet. However, Colts owner Jim Irsay has hinted that the two sides have been making progress in recent tweets, the latest of which came on Sunday:

"We r close on#12's deal,it'll get done," a portion of his tweet read.

Contracts are a binary system; either there is a signed one or there is not. But can we take anything away from Irsay's latest tweet? During an appearance on our airwaves on Sunday, ESPN's John Clayton opined that a deal for Luck could happen as soon as this week. If so, that would certainly help get the ball rolling with the other Top 10 picks who remain contract-less.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When will Tannehill start?
7:14AM ET
Ryan Tannehill | Dolphins

Within our post on the Miami Dolphins' QB situation from Sunday morning, we made note of the fact that the club has put No. 8 overall pick Ryan Tannehill into the No. 3 QB slot for the time being, while David Garrard and Matt Moore will continue their battle for the starting job once training camp begins.

So when will Tannehill fulfill his destiny and become the team's starter? ESPN AFC East blogger James Walker checked in with his take on Monday morning:

- Tim Kavanagh​

James Walker
Be patient

"This is no surprise. The Dolphins didn't want Tannehill to play right away to begin with. That is why they signed veteran David Garrard to battle Matt Moore. I don't expect to see Tannehill on the field as a starter until late 2012 or 2013. For now, Garrard or Moore needs to lead the team. Garrard has looked better in minicamp. But what happens in training camp is what really matters."