• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Rookies

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Raw Gordon one to watch, says La Canfora: CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora writes from Browns camp that receiver Josh Gordon is one to watch. He was the team's second-round pick in July's supplemental NFL draft. La Canfora writes Gordon is clearly a raw prospect but has the talent to find playing time early on. He's already been working with the first-team offense in camp practices. "He's an extremely talented young man," coach Pat Shurmur said. "We'll just see how far we can get him."
(Updated 08/02/2012)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tannehill making a solid first impression
9:44AM ET
Ryan Tannehill | Dolphins

Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin had nothing but positive things to say about rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill at his Wednesday press conference, specifically citing his poise as something that has really impressed him.

Although Matt Moore is still expected to be the starting quarterback right now, whenever a team drafts a quarterback with the No. 8 overall pick you know that the expectations are that he will eventually be "the man." The more that Philbin sings Tannehill's praises, the quicker that transition is likely to come.

With Chad Johnson on the team, expect another voice to chime in to the conversation sooner, rather than later. Johnson wants the ball, and his sure-to-be vocal support is going to go to the quarterback who decides to give it to him. So far, he's remaining neutral, but if he sees the writing on the wall and joins the pro-Tannehill chorus, then Moore's time in Miami might be over sooner than expected.

- AJ Mass​

Andrew Brandt
Breaking down Ryan Tannehill's deal

"Welcome to the new world of rookie contract negotiations."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luck impressive after first practices: If reports from camp are accurate, Colts quarterback Andrew Luck's football intuition has been lauded, along with both his arm strength and touch. Luck has been very impressive in just a few days of practice. He's built a solid rapport with wide receivers Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie. He's hit the deep ball to fellow rookie T.Y. Hilton, and he's even rushed for a touchdown -- running, however, is not something the coaching staff hopes to see much of out of Luck. He's showing, right away, that his ability matches his hype -- something that seemed impossible with the hype that accompanied Luck's arrival in Indianapolis. Former coach Tony Dungy, who led the Colts to a Super Bowl title, also has been impressed, tweeting: "Just watched the Colts first training camp practice with Andrew Luck. They are going to be in great hands for a long time!"
(Updated 08/01/2012)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rookie expectations for WR Jeffery
3:53PM ET
Alshon Jeffery | Bears

The Cincinnati Bengals' A.J. Green exceeded expectations for a rookie wide receiver last season when he pulled in 65 passes for 1,057 yards and seven touchdowns. Although Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler doesn't expect his rookie wideout, Alshon Jeffery, to match that production, he likes what he's seen from the youngster.

"I don't think we're going to necessarily need that kind of production out of Alshon," Cutler said Thursday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I think he's fully capable of that kind of production, but we'll pick and choose where we use him, what he's best suited for. In the coming years I can see him being just a dominant force out there."

Fantasy junkies in keeper or dynasty leagues will want to make sure the South Carolina product is drafted a bit earlier than in redraft leagues, because he should have a bright future in the NFL. ESPN fantasy football expert Christopher Harris is tempering his expectations for Jeffery's rookie campaign, though:

- Tom Carpenter​

Christopher Harris
2012 wide receivers fantasy preview
"Alshon Jeffery was once considered a possible top-10 overall pick, but his final collegiate year was marked by weight gain and a decline in production. Simply put, some scouts believe there is 'diva' potential all over Jeffery, and landing on a team with Brandon Marshall, the king diva, may not be positive. But Jeffery does have size (6-foot-3, 216 pounds) and fantastic hands, so if he's ready sooner than I expect, Jay Cutler may have himself another viable weapon."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Claiborne gets MRI on knee
11:45AM ET
Morris Claiborne | Cowboys

Morris Claiborne underwent a precautionary MRI on his knee after being seen limping around on the sidelines during Friday's practice for the Dallas Cowboys. Head coach Jason Garrett emphasized the word "precautionary" and told reporters that the team was not concerned.

It's not surprising that Dallas wants to play it safe with their No.1 draft pick, who they just signed to a four-year deal worth $16.26 million last week. However, the injury originally occurred on Wednesday, and flared up again on Friday after Claiborne received treatment on it in the interim.

Garrett may be calm on the outside, but on the inside, he's got to be a bit nervous and quite frankly we are as well. Claiborne spent the offseason recovering from wrist surgery and while it is too soon to label him with the "brittle" tag, any prolonged absence is sure to raise some red flags.

- AJ Mass​

Calvin Watkins
Morris Claiborne to have MRI
" Coach Jason Garrett said Claiborne suffered the knee injury during Wednesday's practice, and after an off day, the knee didn't feel right during the early portions of Friday's practice."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alot of people in Minnesota were excited about him. Opens the door for somebody else, possibly Jarius Wright (also a teammate of Childs' at Arkansas). I'd much rather have Wright long-term than Childs if WR type does not matter.

I liked Greg Childs a lot too. I even mentioned that when we had our NFL Draft Thread way back in April. I was he was a "steal" for them. Kid can't seem to find any luck in staying healthy.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
BROCK OSWEILER Den - QB

News: Osweiler is listed as the No. 3 quarterback on the Broncos' initial depth chart, the Denver Post reports. (Aug 6)

Impact: Osweiler is behind Peyton Manning and Caleb Hanie and ahead of Adam Weber. The latter is expected to compete with Hanie for the backup job, leaving Osweiler glued to a clipboard this season, although he's been described multiple times as the "quarterback of the future" in Denver. (Source: RotoWire / Time: 1:27p ET)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alot of people in Minnesota were excited about him. Opens the door for somebody else, possibly Jarius Wright (also a teammate of Childs' at Arkansas). I'd much rather have Wright long-term than Childs if WR type does not matter.

I liked Greg Childs a lot too. I even mentioned that when we had our NFL Draft Thread way back in April. I was he was a "steal" for them. Kid can't seem to find any luck in staying healthy.

Today the Vikings waived Childs and re-signed undrafted WR A.J. Love to take his spot on the roster.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adams, DeCastro starting Thursday?
2:04PM ET
Pittsburgh Steelers

Mindful of the fact that there are limitations to QB Ben Roethlisberger's durability, the Pittsburgh Steelers invested a first- and second-round pick on offensive linemen in this offseason's draft. OG David DeCastro was the first-rounder, with OT Mike Adams joining in Round 2. Thus far in training camp, the latter has looked strong while the former has struggled; nevertheless, it's been determined that both of the rookies will be starting in the preseason opener Thursday night against Philadelphia.

Roethlisberger revealed to the Beaver County Times that DeCastro informed him he's having more trouble with the physical rigors of playing against professionals. Meanwhile, Ramon Foster -- the man with whom he's competing for the starting RG gig -- has indicated that he won't go down without a fight.

"You don't want to just passively give away your starting role," Foster explained, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "This is a world championship team, you want to be a guy starting on that team. We're both going to get better no matter who wins the job. We'll just handle that at the end of camp. Is there a sense of urgency? Definitely. I think it's there for Dave, too."

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tannehill still has work to do: Veteran quarterback David Garrard was listed as the starter when Miami released its first depth chart of training camp Monday. Garrard, who is in his first season with the Dolphins, is followed by Matt Moore and rookie Ryan Tannehill. However, he is not assured to start the team's preseason opener Friday against Tampa Bay. "In no way, shape or form is this finalized," Miami coach Joe Philbin said. "It's a starting point."
(Updated 08/06/2012)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quick starting as a rookie?
10:26AM ET
Brian Quick | Rams

The St. Louis Rams have invested quite a bit at the QB position -- first-round pick Sam Bradford -- and at OT, with a first- and second-rounder at the bookend spots on the O-line (Rodger Saffold and Jason Smith). There's just one problem: they've yet to land themselves a top-flight WR, a trend that continued this offseason as they traded out of the Top 10, instead opting for DT Michael Brockers after moving down to No. 14. In fact, Bradford's top returning target is former UDFA Danny Amendola.

The team has drafted several WRs in recent seasons, though none of them has seemed to pan out. They hope this trend will be reversed with 2012 second-rounder Brian Quick, and on Monday, the Appalachian St. product was working with the first-team offense, according to Nick Wagoner of StLouisRams.com.

This doesn't necessarily mean that Quick will step into a starting role right away this year, but it is a sign that the Rams haven't yet ruled out that possibility.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cincy's No. 2 WR
3:07PM ET
Cincinnati Bengals

The Cincinnati Bengals have one of the best young WRs in the game in A.J. Green, but have yet to announce who will be starting opposite him when the regular season begins. Among the competitors are Brandon Tate, Armon Binns and rookie Mohamed Sanu.

The club was mandated to provide a depth chart in preparation for this week's preseason opener, and on that chart, Tate got the nod as the No. 2 WR, according to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. However, the scribe makes note of the fact that Bengals HC Marvin Lewis hasn't necessarily decided who he likes best just yet.

"They've done a good job," Lewis noted this weekend. "Everybody keeps saying, 'Who's second?' Well, [Nos.] two, three, four, five and six are better than they were a year ago. That's the most important thing. And One [Green] is probably better than he was a year ago."

And so, the wait continues.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same here. That's unfortunate. Especially for the Vikings who are in deep need of WR help.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quick coming on fast: The Rams official team website reports that receiver Brian Quick seems to be getting past any initial rookie struggles. After a slow start to training camp, Quick has "been solid two days in a row."
(Updated 08/08/2012)