• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Rookies

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Claiborne a starter already?
4:11PM ET
Dallas Cowboys

When the Dallas Cowboys traded up to pick CB Morris Claiborne in this year's draft, the expectation thereafter was that he would step right into a starting role for Rob Ryan's defense. After finishing his rehabilitation from a wrist injury, the LSU product has indeed done so at the Cowboys' opening practice of training camp, according to Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com. Claiborne replaces Orlando Scandrick, who is expected to earn the slot CB duties in the team's nickel package.

"We're coaching him and coaching him hard," Ryan said of the team's plans for Claiborne. "He's a smart kid. He works hard. Is he going to have some growing pains? I'm sure he will. But we all do. Just got to get out and do it. Joe Haden [in Cleveland], we didn't start him the first four games and we didn't have any success and we finally put the kid in and he grew quick and he took off. He had six interceptions and was probably our best defensive player by the end of the year."

Whether Claiborne emerges as a dominant NFL cover man as quickly as Haden has remains to be seen, but it looks like the Cowboys will give him the chance to do so.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Update on Backus, Reiff
3:49PM ET
Jeff Backus | Lions

Detroit Lions starting LT Jeff Backus injured his thumb during Saturday's practice and was held out on Sunday as well. Monday it was more of the same, according to Chris McCosky of the Detroit News, with Corey Williams and Jason Fox continuing to fill in for Backus -- who was sporting a hard cast on the hand with the injured digit -- at LT.

McCosky speculates that the thumb is broken -- not a wild stretch of the imagination, given the hard cast -- and notes that rookie Riley Reiff was still working at RT with the second- and third-team units. So is it time to start worrying about Backus' ability to play by Week 1? Probably not, in the opinion of ESPN NFC North blogger Kevin Seifert:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Kevin Seifert
This will not stop him
"Backus hasn't missed a regular season game since entering the NFL in 2001, a span of 176 consecutive games, and it doesn't appear the Lions have any long-term concerns about this injury. Last summer, Backus missed most of training camp because of a partially torn pectoral muscle but returned in time to play the entire regular season."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More buzz on Gordon
2:27PM ET
Cleveland Browns

There was a significant amount of buzz on WR Josh Gordon after the Cleveland Browns made him the only player selected via the NFL's supplemental draft. That trend continued as training camps got underway, as speculation increased that Gordon would be a starter right out of the gates as a rookie.

While he wasn't with the first-team when they used two-WR sets in practice on Monday, he was on the field when the team deployed a three-WR look, according to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal. With that personnel group on the field, Gordon and Mohamed Massaquoi were on the outside, with Greg Little operating out of the slot.

"I think that's one way for us to get three of what we consider our better receivers on the field," Browns HC Pat Shurmur explained. "We do use a lot of wide receiver sets, and today because we were working in two-minute, it probably showed up that way quite a bit, probably more than maybe some other practice."

As Gordon adjusts to the speed of the NFL game, it's quite possible that he'll take over for one of the others as a starter in the two-WR sets as well.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tannehill believes he can start
11:51AM ET
Ryan Tannehill | Dolphins

Before QB Ryan Tannehill had inked his rookie deal with the Miami Dolphins, many believed that he wasn't in the mix to start anyway, so his absence for the initial portion of training camp was not as big of a problem as it would have been for other rookies around the league projected to start for their respective teams. But it seems as though Tannehill got no such memo indicating that he is bench-bound.

"I feel like I'm in it," Tannehill declared Monday, per ESPN AFC East blogger James Walker. "Maybe I am being naive, but the coaches haven't given me any indication that I'm not, so I'm going to go out there every day and do my best to get better every day and hopefully win the job."

That's a fine attitude, but Walker does not believe the Texas A&M product has a realistic chance at winning the starting gig:

- Tim Kavanagh​

James Walker
He's too far behind Garrard and Moore at this point
"Technically, Tannehill is correct. He is in the quarterback race. But he has so much ground to make up that Tannehill would drastically have to outperform veterans David Garrard and Matt Moore in practice and preseason games to have a chance. I wrote Saturday that Tannehill's late arrival killed his already slim hopes. Tannehill's best chance is to look good now in training camp and the preseason, so the Dolphins won't be afraid to eventually turn over the offense to him sooner than later."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Turbin ready if Lynch is out?
10:40AM ET
Seattle Seahawks

After the news of Marshawn Lynch's latest off-field troubles, there was a mad dash to check on the Seattle Seahawks' depth chart to assess who'd be the man to step in should Lynch be suspended by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. That man is rookie Robert Turbin, a fourth-round pick out of Utah State, and Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com checked in with an update on Turbin's development this weekend.

Thus far, the focus of Turbin's work has been adopting the one-cut running style demanded by assistant HC/O-line coach Tom Cable. "He kind of went in there and pity-pattered. Kind of stomping snakes, you know," Cable said of Turbin's early runs in camp. "You can't do that in this system -- and in this league -- because you're going to get hit about 18 times."

Nevertheless, Cable has seen some improvement in the young RB, and the expectation is that Turbin will have a fairly extensive role whether Lynch is suspended or not; the team wants to keep their lead back fresh, and having a reliable understudy will be vital in that endeavor.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Martin in control?
9:44AM ET
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers HC Greg Schiano indicated prior to training camp that he didn't necessarily have any favorites when it comes to the club's various position battles, but Matt Williamson of Scouts, Inc. opined that it's only a matter of time before rookie RB Doug Martin takes the reins over incumbent LeGarrette Blount. And, it appears that the "matter of time" was not a very lengthy stretch.

According to Stephen Holder of the Tampa Bay Times, Martin has taken the bulk of the first-team reps in training camp thus far. Perhaps more importantly, Martin has performed well with this increased opportunity, excelling both in rushing drills as well as pass protection.

To be clear, nothing is yet set in stone, but as ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas writes, Martin's fast start should shock no one:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Pat Yasinskas
He was acquired to be a primary offensive weapon
"No one should be surprised that Martin already is ahead of Blount. When the Bucs traded back into the first round to take Martin, it sent a pretty strong signal. You don't trade back into the first round to get a running back unless you're planning to play him a lot. It also could be well worth watching how Blount handles his new role. It's not unusual for a guy to pout when he's demoted. New coach Greg Schaino doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will put up with a lot of pouting."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Learning curve: Rookie receiver Brian Quick did a better job securing the football following a reception against tight coverage. A day earlier, cornerback Josh Gordy stripped the ball from Quick after the receiver got a little too casual in his technique. Quick made a couple good catches, as did backup tight end Mike McNeill.

Rookie against rookie: Speed receiver Givens made an impressive initial play on the ball for what was nearly a touchdown, but cornerback Trumaine Johnson, also a rookie, knocked the ball away at the last moment.

Rookie kicker watch: The Rams released veteran kicker Josh Brown after using a sixth-round draft choice for Greg Zuerlein. I haven't been charting field-goal percentages, in part because the goalposts are short and sometimes it's tough to tell from the sidelines which ones would have succeeded. Zuerlein does seem to have a powerful leg. Quite a few of his attempts have smacked hard off the tower from which the team's video department records practices.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Impressions from Redskins practice
July, 30, 2012 8:06PM ET
By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

ASHBURN, Va. -- Late in the Washington Redskins' afternoon practice, after catching a pass near the goal line, tight end Chris Cooley fumbled. Linebacker Bryan Kehl picked the ball up and ran the length of the field, fairly certain of a touchdown. Had you asked Kehl during that run what the likelihood was of the team's rookie starting quarterback running him down from 80 yards away and preventing that touchdown, he'd likely have laughed. But that's exactly what happened.

"I'm not going to let the guy have a free touchdown," Robert Griffin III explained through his famous smile at his news conference a few moments later. "So I ran him down, because I could. It's more of a thing to show the team not to give up on a play."

Coach Mike Shanahan was watching.

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III made an impression with his hustle at Monday's practice.

"I was hoping he wasn't going to pull a hamstring," Shanahan said. "But yeah, that shows you the pride that he has."

Griffin's getting rave reviews around these parts for his attitude and the way in which he is balancing his dual responsibilities of fitting in with and taking charge of the team. After hearing a comment Griffin made about his ability to break arm tackles, cornerback DeAngelo Hall made him carry his pads Monday, telling him it would help him build up the strength to keep breaking those arm tackles. And Griffin is working on his rendition of "My Girl" for the team's rookie talent show, which begins Tuesday night. But he's also looking for opportunities to lead, and chasing after Kehl on a play that was basically over was one.

Of course, what you want to know is how he looked while actually practicing. My first impression was that he looked like a rookie -- a beat too slow with his decision-making in some key spots and a little bit off with throws in part as a result of that. This is what you'd expect a rookie quarterback to look like less than one week into his first training camp, and so there's no reason to be overly concerned about it. He throws a great-looking ball, obviously, and when he runs with it he looks fantastic. The issue is getting used to the speed of the NFL game. He's got plenty of time for that, and to hear him tell it, he's got help from his teammates on the defensive side of the ball.

"Guys you go against every day in practice, they've seen this offense time and time again and they're good at stopping it," Griffin said. "Nobody will be as good at it as [Ryan] Kerrigan and [Brian] Orakpo, and that's just helping me get better."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rookie buzz: Bears' Shea McClellin
July, 29, 2012 12:15PM ET
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

Latest in a series of posts on NFC North rookies who have generated buzz.

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- A few days ago, I asked Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli about the challenges of preparing a smallish defensive end for the rigors of run defense in the NFL. It's an important challenge facing Bears rookie Shea McClellin, and Marinelli's answer was telling.

"Hopefully we'll bring him along quickly as a pass-rusher," Marinelli said. "He's still got a lot to learn to play the run."

Shea McClellin might be small for a defensive end, but the Bears say the rookie surely isn't short on speed.

That's no knock on McClellin, who is listed at 260 pounds but will probably play between 250 and 255 pounds this season. NFL teams are more than willing to sacrifice some size, and even stout run defense, to capture the kind of consistent pass-rusher that seems so elusive in this era of passing efficiency.

But it is an early indication, at least, that the Bears are readying McClellin not so much for an immediate full-time role at defensive end but rather as a situational pass-rusher who can ease his mind (and body) into the job. Consider the example of 2011 rookie Aldon Smith, who managed 14 sacks for the San Francisco 49ers despite not starting a game and playing less than half (48.2 percent) of the team's snaps.

Marinelli's scheme should help minimize the times when McClellin is lined up directly over an offensive lineman, an instance that would make him vulnerable to a power block. Among other things, Marinelli typically positions ends on what he calls the "edge," essentially over the outside arm of a tackle, or else they line up over a tight end.

But by all accounts, McClellin demonstrated enough during the first few days of training camp to suggest he has a good chance to contribute right away as a situational pass-rusher.

"What I've seen already is real," Marinelli said. "He's got exceptional speed. Boy, he's fast. And he's not just fast. It's that initial quickness. It's reaction and movement. Suddenness. If someone moves, he's off and following him. Some guys are fast with no awareness, but he sees it happening. And I believe we'll find out as we get into pads that he's very, very tough."

McClellin knows why he was drafted as well. When I spoke with him Saturday morning, he was eager to put on pads for the first time and translate his early-camp quickness into real football situations.

"I'm trying to focus in on a lot of things," he said. "Pass rush, especially. Stopping the run, I think we'll see how it goes. I think I can hold my own but we'll see how it goes."

Watching the Bears' defensive line drills, especially when matched up against the offense line, suggested McClellin has the kind of quickness and agility that can make him successful in the kind of immediate role the Bears are envisioning. He made a nice play to bat down a Jason Campbell pass after penetrating the pocket, and he also had a first step on many of the offensive linemen he faced in 1-on-1 drills before getting pushed around the pocket on several occasions. I viewed the latter as a function of developing technique more than limited skills.

"What we're trying to do is give [McClellin] a base in the fundamentals," Marinelli said, "without giving them too much so they lose their aggression."

To be continued…

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WR Wright's role with Titans
1:36PM ET
Kendall Wright | Titans

The Tennessee Titans and rookie Kendall Wright agreed to terms on a four-year contract on Tuesday, according to TheSidelineView.com's Adam Caplan.

"While full details of the contract weren't immediately available, the Titans made significant moves to get the deal done including guaranteed training camp bonuses, larger guarantees, and a fourth-year roster bonus," said Caplan.

With Kenny Britt still sidelined due to his knee ailments (and a likely suspension come the regular season), it was imperative that the Titans lock up their first-round pick quickly, so he can get to work.

Caplan believes the Titans will lean heavily on the rookie right away, while Britt will be eased back in.

"The expectation is that Wright will start opposite veteran WR Nate Washington this season," he said. "Once WR Kenny Britt (knees) is able to play, he's expected to play a rotational role off the bench. The key for Wright will be to learn the Titans' offense, which is a departure from the true spread scheme that he played in at Baylor."

- Tom Carpenter​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clayton: Browns WRs look 'promising'
July, 31, 2012 4:55PM ET
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

I'll be attending Cleveland Browns training camp Wednesday, but ESPN's John Clayton came away with some positive observations from his stop in Berea, Ohio.

In his camp report, Clayton noticed that coach Pat Shurmur is working in more five-step drops for quarterback Brandon Weeden. Clayton believes that indicates "a sign of confidence in the blocking and the talent at wide receiver." Wait, did he say talent at wide receiver? Most observers, including myself, see wide receiver as the biggest weakness on the Browns' offense.

Here's what Clayton had to say about the Browns wide receivers:
Supplemental draft choice [Josth] Gordon is raw, but he has the look of a future No. 1 receiver. [Greg] Little, a second-round pick last year, is a good target, although he's trying to adjust to some work out of the slot. [Travis] Benjamin is fast. It's a promising group.

If Cleveland can get consistent production out of its receivers, this offense could surprise some defenses. The challenge is for Gordon to shake off the rust after not playing last season. Little has to cut down on his drops. And Benjamin has to bulk up before taking a hit over the middle.

From what I saw in minicamp last month, Weeden can throw the ball. He just needs these young receivers to develop quickly.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Offset language and Tannehill's deal
1:58PM ET
Ryan Tannehill | Dolphins

But for the phrase "offset language," there may have been nary a holdout by rookies this offseason. The new CBA put in place a relatively simple rookie wage scale, but offset language became a sticking point for a number of players, including recently signed Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

"Offset language gives teams the ability on guaranteed contracts, as top rookie deals are, to recover guaranteed salary in the event the player is released and signs with a new team -- making his salary offset by the new team's salary," said ESPN NFL business analyst Andrew Brandt.

In the end, Tannehill got stuck with that offset language, but as Brandt notes, the Dolphins gave him some pluses in the deal to even things out a bit:

- Tom Carpenter

Andrew Brandt
Breaking down Ryan Tannehill's deal

"Although the Dolphins wouldn?t budge on offset, they did allow for cash flow 'gives' to -- pardon the pun -- 'offset' the offset language. The contract allows Tannehill to collect: His entire signing bonus -- $7.65 million -- within 60 days: $5 million now and the balance on Sept. 30 [and] the balance of his salary -- beyond minimum salary -- in training camp roster bonuses, giving him a total of $2.9 million of 'early money' in Years 2-4 of the deal. Thus, although the Dolphins drew a line in the sand over offset language, there were considerations made to allow Tannehill to walk away from the deal feeling like he won something. The Dolphins were able to get their strongly preferred language while providing positive cash flow in return. Welcome to the new world of rookie contract negotiations."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bears rookie ready to make big splash
12:03PM ET
Alshon Jeffery | Bears

He's got unbelievable hands -- an unbelievable ability to catch the football.'' That was wide receivers coach Darryl Drake talking to the Chicago Sun-Times about his newest receiving weapon. No, not Brandon Marshall, but rather rookie Alshon Jeffery, who fell to the Chicago Bears in the second round due to concerns over his route running ability, conditioning and discipline.

Jeffery could well start opposite Marshall in an aerial attack that has been completely revamped after last year saw only running back Matt Forte catch more than 40 passes. Willie Gault was the last Bears rookie wideout to have over 600 receiving yards in his debut campaign way back in 1983. Based on the early praise being lavished on Jeffery, we're willing to bet he reaches that milestone and then some.

- AJ Mass​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mario williams' take on LTs
Posted by Chris Brown on August 1, 2012 – 10:08 am

Bills DE Mario Williams hasn’t faced either one of Buffalo’s left tackles competing for the starting job, but he’s seen enough practice tape and watched enough of the one-on-one drills to have an opinion.

“They are doing a great job,” he said. ”I will say Chris Hairston has very good feet for a big guy. They are both outstanding guys. Good pass blockers, good run blockers. As long as they are into the scheme, understand the calls and know what to do amongst the system everything will be alright. I think they are looking pretty good.”

Glenn and Hairston continue to rotate in and out with the first team every other practice.