• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Draft redo

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Kiper did a redo of the '12 Draft on ESPN and thought it would be interesting for conversation. The team that the Niners have now is awesome, but it's always cool to look at what might have been.

btw, I wish the Super Bowl was tomorrow so I didn't have to think about things like this during the bye week.

Anyway, here's my breakdown of how I think the redo draft would've have gone.

1) Janoris Jenkins (AJ Jenkins) - I was excited when I heard the Niners picked Jenkins, too bad it was the wrong one. Janoris would have at least been the dime CB this year and would have teamed up with Cully to make a formidable duo for years to come. Not to mention, he's pretty good at returning punts too.

2) LaMichael James (LaMichael James) - No complaints, other than him not getting touches early on, but a healthy backfield (early) isn't something to complain about.

3) Trade

4) Jared Crick (Joe Looney) - The new Niners front office is good at drafting OL, so I have high hopes for Looney, but Crick showed some glimpses and could've provided needed DL depth. Learning behind Cowboy would've increased Crick's learning curve by light years.

5) Greg Zuerlin (Darius Fleming) - I know Akers was coming off an All-Pro year, but Zuerlin is pretty good at the kicking thing. This is one of those hindsight is 20/20 picks. The Niners haven't had a great young kicker on their team since Jeff Wilkins. Sadly, both of those guys ended up on the Rams. But, Fleming will take Grant or Gibson's spot as the ST ace LB and the Niners have a chance of finding this year's Zuerlin in the draft. Realistically though, they could've drafted Marvin Jones for WR depth.

6) Trenton Robinson (Trenton Robinson) - I liked Markelle Martin more than Robinson going into the draft, for his size and potential, but if Robinson was able to stay on the team all year long, he has to have potential.

6) Bryce Brown (Jason Slowey) - I usually like players that are top overall prospects coming out of high school and don't perform in college. I figure they just didn't have good coaching or thought too highly of themselves, then failed to put in the work at the college level. They have all of the tools and if they are coached right, they can be a steal, esp. in the later rounds. That's what I thought of Brown and he closed out the year pretty well for the Eagles. I would've rather had him on the roster than Jacobs.

7) Cam Johnson (Cam Johnson) - Ideally they would've traded up and taken Alfonzo Denard, but Cam Johnson has all of the tools to be a ST stud. 7th rounders usually don't make the team anyway, so anything would be welcomed from Johnson. Another name for this slot would've been Vontaze Burfict, but you probably don't want to bring in too many headcases in one draft(if they had drafted Janoris). But imagine him teaming up with Willis and Bowman to make the scariest ILB corp of all time!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I love that scenario. Man Baalke botched this last draft.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they just mixed up Jenkins on the draft card they turned in... Was Probably on the card like We Want (smudgemark) J. Jenkins...

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd still got with Hill just because of the need that we had and still have at the time for a #2 receiver as well as his potential to develop into a top 5 receiver, but J. Jenkins would be next on that list, Jenkins had an outstanding rookie season and he'll only get better.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tumblr_lasmpzzeeO1qe0eclo1_r2_500.gif

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just with the first two picks. . .

I'd probably take Doug Martin in the first and Casey Heyward in the second. I suppose it's mostly because Hayward had a better year than J Jenkins and Martin had a better year than most of the RBs in the league. I like to get the best players available.