• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2) Memphis Grizzlies vs 3) Golden State Warriors

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the possible model for this Warriors team is the 2014 Spurs, with the new young guy (Kawhi) rejuvenating the aging big 3 (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili). If the Ws win this, wouldn't we have to say Poole is most likely to win Finals MVP?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the possible model for this Warriors team is the 2014 Spurs, with the new young guy (Kawhi) rejuvenating the aging big 3 (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili). If the Ws win this, wouldn't we have to say Poole is most likely to win Finals MVP?

Maybe so. If that were to happen, it would be another case of a more popular narrative derailing a deserved Finals MVP for Curry. Steph was clearly the more valuable player than Iguodala in 2015. I'm not saying that it was wrong to give it to Durant in both 2017 and 2018, but if Steph had won a Finals MVP during those years, a reasonable person would have to concede that he was deserving.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. By nature of the rule its a travel. So is about 40 other dribbles a game
Yep. There's also a few other violations the refs seems to avoid calling a lot.
My 2 pet peeves are palming/carrying the ball over...and offensive 3 seconds.
It happens so often that it's almost become commonplace at this point.
Once in a while it's called just to send the message to the players (hey we're still watching you) but it's probably something like only once for every 8,9, or 10 times it occurs in any given game.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. There's also a few other violations the refs seems to avoid calling a lot.
My 2 pet peeves are palming/carrying the ball over...and offensive 3 seconds.
It happens so often that it's almost become commonplace at this point.
Once in a while it's called just to send the message to the players (hey we're still watching you) but it's probably something like only once for every 8,9, or 10 times it occurs.

I'm only 42, but I've heard some people say that if the players from the past were given the same leeway with regard to traveling and carrying, those old school highlights would look a lot more impressive.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try not to get too into the weeds with all that but it always strikes me as funny that "fans" of basketball would ever think that somehow skills etc have somehow depreciated so substantially in 30 years as opposed to every other sport.

If anything, we see improvement in all sports pretty much across the board over the last 30 years. The only exceptions I can think of are women's track and field records (no more East German doped women) and jumping events (there hasn't been a great long jumper since Carl Lewis retired).

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything, we see improvement in all sports pretty much across the board over the last 30 years. The only exceptions I can think of are women's track and field records (no more East German doped women) and jumping events (there hasn't been a great long jumper since Carl Lewis retired).

There are things about sports rules wise I can see arguments for not enjoying...like for example the rule changes in the NBA drastically changing the post up games from centers...but to make an argument that a team of AC Greens could beat even a basic playoff team today is pretty delusional.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are things about sports rules wise I can see arguments for not enjoying...like for example the rule changes in the NBA drastically changing the post up games from centers...but to make an argument that a team of AC Greens could beat even a basic playoff team today is pretty delusional.

Teams from today would likely pace and space the old school teams to death no matter what the rules are. Before they know it, it will be like 30-10. This would be even more severe, of course, if the old school team's lineup is made up of role players. There is no way those guys would be able to cover all the ground necessary to defend against today's NBA offenses. Those guys weren't bad players for their day, but the game has advanced. The all time greats would still be great today, but many of their teammates wouldn't make an NBA roster in today's game.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually really like AC Green. Good defender, above average athlete for his day, and a man of good character. However, I think he would be a bench player at most in today's NBA. And I doubt he would get many minutes come playoff time. I recall that he was a starting player for Laker championship teams in the '80s.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@Stakesarehigh Another sport I just thought of is horse racing. I don't think there will ever be another horse like Secretariat.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams from today would likely pace and space the old school teams to death no matter what the rules are. Before they know it, it will be like 30-10. This would be even more severe, of course, if the old school team's lineup is made up of role players. There is no way those guys would be able to cover all the ground necessary to defend against today's NBA offenses. Those guys weren't bad players for their day, but the game has advanced. The all time greats would still be great today, but many of their teammates wouldn't make an NBA roster in today's game.

Pretty much how I see it. Conversely there are players who make the league today who's games would not be as in tune with what was called for back in the 90s as an example. But the greats are the greats.

But again the median talent level is definitely higher now.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still laughing at the refs kicking Dray outta the game yesterday. Yet another bad call by the refs, nothing new. That was a rough playoff foul, not a flagrant foul.

Here's an example of flagrant foul from back in the day.

tumblr_oqon75xPvW1sdydefo1_400.gif

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,371.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 1 game but I think all 7 games are going to be like last night's.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incidental contact for me.......

Dray got the boot because of his reputation. If any other Warrior would have committed that foul there would have been no ejection.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 1 game but I think all 7 games are going to be like last night's.
But there's only going to be 6 games

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That did look like he was playing the heel role in pro wrestling.
I just don't understand that guy. he's good but you can't rely on him to be able to control himself. he alone cost us the title that year against the Cavs.