• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1st Round: 4) Suns vs 5) Clippers

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude…lol

He’s a multi-billionaire.

But, he’s not stupid.

Would you pay nearly HALF A BILLION DOLLARS for 1 playoff win?

Seriously…..435 million…lol

View attachment 326795
I do not think Ballmer wants to go through a rebuild........they did not promote Lue for that.

Think they run it back, With a tweak or 2.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think Ballmer wants to go through a rebuild........they did not hire Lue for that.

Unless that tweak is new knees for Kawhi it won’t make much sense

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think Ballmer wants to go through a rebuild........they did not promote Lue for that.

As @Mecca pointed out, he's paying $435 million in salary. I think don't think he wants to pay that much money for 1st round exits. Especially since the trade values of his most valuable assets is shrinking by the day. You don't get his kind of money by throwing good money after bad.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As @Mecca pointed out, he's paying $435 million in salary. I think don't think he wants to pay that much money for 1st round exits. Especially since the trade values of his most valuable assets is shrinking by the day. You don't get his kind of money by throwing good money after bad.
He got his money by being one of the first employees/partners at one of the largest companies in the world. Not by carefully investing and assessing cash flows.

That got me curious so I googled it (shoulda used Bing):

30th employee

Ballmer joined Microsoft on June 11, 1980, and became Microsoft's 30th employee and the first business manager hired by Gates. Ballmer was offered a salary of $50,000 as well as 5-10% of the company. When Microsoft was incorporated in 1981, Ballmer owned 8% of the company.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got his money by being one of the first employees/partners at one of the largest companies in the world. Not by carefully investing and assessing cash flows.

That got me curious so I googled it (shoulda used Bing):

30th employee

Ballmer joined Microsoft on June 11, 1980, and became Microsoft's 30th employee and the first business manager hired by Gates. Ballmer was offered a salary of $50,000 as well as 5-10% of the company. When Microsoft was incorporated in 1981, Ballmer owned 8% of the company.

I'm guessing @DJ gets the point.

But thanks for the history lesson. :thumb:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Parks And Rec Aubrey Plaza GIF - Parks And Rec Aubrey Plaza April Ludgate GIFs

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the thing I'm actually pushing back a bit on your point...he's worth $90 billion, and he got it by being at the right place at the right time. Not by worrying about overspending. Even with crazy high payrolls the Clippers still have positive net income and that doesn't even factor in the franchise value rising with the new arena.

So no I don't think he would be deterred from overpaying again if he thinks he can win a title. No reason to tear it down necessarily.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing I'm actually pushing back a bit on your point...he's worth $90 billion, and he got it by being at the right place at the right time. Not by worrying about overspending. Even with crazy high payrolls the Clippers still have positive net income and that doesn't even factor in the franchise value rising with the new arena.

So no I don't think he would be deterred from overpaying again if he thinks he can win a title. No reason to tear it down necessarily.

The Thunder still have draft picks coming so it makes a lot of sense to tear it down.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spending $435 million on a 1st round exit team whose most valuable assets are losing value, would be throwing good money after bad. I don't think he'll do that.

He certainly could and might. We don't know because he's a newer owner and this is the first time that it's looking like he's got some tough decisions to make...but I'd think there has to be a point where he decides that he doesn't want to pay that kind of money for such a small return.

I'd guess some of his decision might be based on whether or not he thinks he can rebuild quickly through free agency. Assuming the Lakers have no intention of moving AD and/or Lebron...he could have a couple of FA classes where he's not competing with the Lakers for top tier FA's.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol

People are telling the truth about how they feel about his game. Amazing athleticism, incredible effort, no one plays as hard every single play of every game, 1st ballot HoF'er and his low basketball iq cost his teams games and prevented him winning a title.

It's not that complicated.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, that’s the point.

He could not possibly BELIEVE he can win a title with this roster.

So, no point in burning money by the barrel.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I do not see him being into trading PG and Leonard to start over.

Ballmer is 67, not exactly a spring chicken.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, that’s the point.

He could not possibly BELIEVE he can win a title with this roster.

So, no point in burning money by the barrel.
Oh he might change the roster, but I don't see any reason he will refuse to keep spending