• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1990 MLB Draft Chat

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you putting up for McGwire?

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the top of my head ummm 3000 hits, 500+ HR's and multiple GG's...

Have we completely scrapped the peak years?

I know you said we're listing three stats, but can they all be carreer totals?

And, if you list Gold Golves, you might get laughed at (especially in Palmeiro's case as he is the main reason to ignore the GG award)....

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have we completely scrapped the peak years?

I know you said we're listing three stats, but can they all be carreer totals?

And, if you list Gold Golves, you might get laughed at (especially in Palmeiro's case as he is the main reason to ignore the GG award)....

So you aint gonna answer? Palmeiro was a much better fielder than McGwire, you asked me to name 3 and I did... You can list whatever 3 stats you want to...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm big into numbers, but I also go by what they did when it counted the most. Randy Johnson and Rocket vs Greg Maddux for example. Numbers wise, very close. But I saw Randy start two games and close another in the playoffs and was absolutely unhittable. I've seen Rocket do the same. Besides a Rangers fan, I was a big Braves fan, and I can tell you right now, Maddux laid more than his share of duck eggs in the playoffs. Still an awesome pitcher, but that counts for something to me

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
70 HR, .470 OBP, 212 OPS+

For the purpose of this mock, that's pretty tough. I judge their ''peak'' as their two or three best years. Just one flash in the pan year doesn't mean as much to me. Big Mac did have several crazy years

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you aint gonna answer? Palmeiro was a much better fielder than McGwire, you asked me to name 3 and I did... You can list whatever 3 stats you want to...

Looking at recent picks, I think some of us are still using players' peak years as a basis.

I would much rather use career numbers is drafts like these, but that would need to be explained in the rules before the draft...

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
70 HR, .470 OBP, 212 OPS+

A little redundant no?

Why not use

"He Hit HR's" as your three things you can list.

He was a one trick pony, he was a big strong guy who hit HR's the end.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the purpose of this mock, that's pretty tough. I judge their ''peak'' as their two or three best years. Just one flash in the pan year doesn't mean as much to me. Big Mac did have several crazy years

Yeah. One of the problems with these drafts is how to rank players. In the prior baseball draft, I started out with career numbers, then was informed about the peak rule, so I started looking at the best two or three years, but then when the voting was taking place, the best single season was used for comparisons...

So, when I started this draft, I looked at the best seasons - only to learn we can put up any stats at all - but only three!

:gaah:

For future drafts, we definitely need to set the rules before the draft. Changing them mid-draft is hard to follow...

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explaining the rules doesnt change the way people vote. Everyone knows you can use whatever three things you want, doesnt even need to be stats, you can use 4 time MVP 5 time All Star & ROY if you want...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That rule was added after we started drafting....

In fairness, that's how we did the last one. The funny thing is, I think most of the guys picking in this draft feel closely about how most of these players rank. I know if you were waiting for great players to slip through the cracks, you were usually out of luck. Lots of great squads, best job yet IMO

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explaining the rules doesnt change the way people vote. Everyone knows you can use whatever three things you want, doesnt even need to be stats, you can use 4 time MVP 5 time All Star & ROY if you want...

3 things he bunted twice, size 10 shoe, and used a glove

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I don't really care about the voting... The draft is the fun part - and I always learn about someone I hadn't thought about...

And this draft is bringing up so many memories. My love of baseball blossomed in the 80's.... and in the 90's, I was addicted..

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I don't really care about the voting... The draft is the fun part - and I always learn about someone I hadn't thought about...

And this draft is bringing up so many memories. My love of baseball blossomed in the 80's.... and in the 90's, I was addicted..

Then quit complaining! :suds:

My first year of really watching baseball was 1975 my parents bought me a TV for Christmas in 1974 and I remember watching games in 1975, the all star game and the series. I also used to go to bed at night listening to the Twins games on the Radio. Man I loved Rod Carew...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love baseball because, besides MMA, it's the only sport where you can be among the best in the game without being blessed with crazy natural ability. If Dustin Pedroia wanted to be NFL MVP, he'd need to buy Madden 2015. If GSP wanted to be NBA MVP, he's SOL. But MLB MVP and GOAT World Champion was there for them through an incredible work ethic. I consider golf a game, but if you want to include that, the only other sport "the walrus" could be a champion at would be a hot dog eating contest

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry about that fellas I'll take Pagnozzi