• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

12 team playoff might be the best option

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had me right up til this one wiz! If the fans of those teams travel to a lot of the lower tier bowls, they must be dressed as empty seats because that is what I mostly see. We have more people at a 6-man football game in Texas than what I saw at a lot of those lower tier bowl games.
For sure quite a few have really bad travel, but many of those that do are the fans that matter the most. The hardcore booster types. The kinds that open up wallets when they are happy. It may not be a main reason, but it has some kind of impact greater than zero.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm not sure now if you are trolling, not paying attention, or just plain stupid. It's one of those.

There is no way it ends up where any of them were better off not going. I have listed many reasons, none the least are the extra 15 practices. You tell their HC that they would have been better off for keeping an extra 200k, but you won't have any more chances to work on your team for next year until spring. There are quite a few other very solid reasons.

You really aren't strong at math either.

First of all, as has been explained to you, they get their $1m payout, but their league gets several more which they then also still get a cut of back. Do you not get that? And without them going to that bowl, that extra money doesn't come to them anyway. None of their conference gets that bump. Now if you need more help with math, they also had other conf members that likely came out even or maybe a bit lower on theirs and also added more to the fund that even team 'x' now gets a piece of. Any of this sinking in sport? You need help with how pooled money works.

We can do through the nominal pay out of the shiteater bowl, but the fact remains the bowl was a negative economic outlay the University. You can drop the holier than thou attitude. The example was kept simple for a brevity. No matter how much bullshit and internet bravado you throw out, the bowl was a negative outlay for the University. It is a fact. You can now try to come up with benefits like practice, but that does not change the fact that the University lost money on the bowl.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ct...n-lost-1-8-million-at-Fiesta-Bowl-1038914.php

In case you forgot this one

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can do through the nominal pay out of the shiteater bowl, but the fact remains the bowl was a negative economic outlay the University. You can drop the holier than thou attitude. The example was kept simple for a brevity. No matter how much bullshit and internet bravado you throw out, the bowl was a negative outlay for the University. It is a fact. You can now try to come up with benefits like practice, but that does not change the fact that the University lost money on the bowl.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ct...n-lost-1-8-million-at-Fiesta-Bowl-1038914.php

According to US News 12 Universities can operate their athletic department without dipping into general revenue from student fees and other school funds. Only 24 football programs are profitable. Between 2009 and 2014, schools and conference paid 92 million in unsold tickets. Those numbers paint quite a different view on the economics of college football

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No where in there does it talk about the money that it took in from the bowl games from the rest of the conference. That is a huge omission and just shitty journalism.

It mentions the big East payout of 3.8 million from bowls and TV revenue to each Big School. UConn likely ended up with the smallest net payout in the Big East that year after expenses.

I forgot about this story, but I was shocked at the amount of money spent on logistics and lodging.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you post an example of loss during the BCS era when the lumped pools were way lower? Doesn't apply at all.

And even within that article it talked about the other things the school got out of it. Not one word of regret or any idea they would have been better off not doing a bowl.

So even back then there wasn't any desire to drop more bowls despite financial challenges.

Which goes back to the point. You can talk about how bad too many bowls is, but every school gets something out of it and that makes it much less likely you can dump them.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to US News 12 Universities can operate their athletic department without dipping into general revenue from student fees and other school funds. Only 24 football programs are profitable. Between 2009 and 2014, schools and conference paid 92 million in unsold tickets. Those numbers paint quite a different view on the economics of college football
That does not say what you think it does.

No one is unaware of the overall athletics financial problems across all of FBS. The vast majority of ALL FBS teams would be worse without the current playoffs payout pools.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you post an example of loss during the BCS era when the lumped pools were way lower? Doesn't apply at all.

And even within that article it talked about the other things the school got out of it. Not one word of regret or any idea they would have been better off not doing a bowl.

So even back then there wasn't any desire to drop more bowls despite financial challenges.

Which goes back to the point. You can talk about how bad too many bowls is, but every school gets something out of it and that makes it much less likely you can dump them.

Does that surprise you? Most schools lose money on football, so clearly economics are not a big consideration. That was the Fiesta, I am not sure what a team gets out of the Boise Bowl. I doubt the the administration or anyone has done any studies on the nonsense spouted off to defend the system. I would love to see the boost in applications for playing a bowl game in Detriot.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That does not say what you think it does.

No one is unaware of the overall athletics financial problems across all of FBS. The vast majority of ALL FBS teams would be worse without the current playoffs payout pools.

Or perhaps it should simply tell you that the economics of college football really don't make much sense, except for about 20-30 programs. Perhaps you could find away to boost the payouts. We know there is a nice cottage industry of bowl workers. The Cotton Bowl paid it's director 1.2 million last year. That might imply the conferences might be better off running bowls/large playoffs in house. It's a billion dollar industry and yet most of the participants are losing money, maybe there is a need for some people with strong business acumen to get involved

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that surprise you? Most schools lose money on football, so clearly economics are not a big consideration. That was the Fiesta, I am not sure what a team gets out of the Boise Bowl. I doubt the the administration or anyone has done any studies on the nonsense spouted off to defend the system. I would love to see the boost in applications for playing a bowl game in Detriot.
Try reading. I mean really.

You are talking about the 2011 Fiesta. Not the 2018 Fiesta. I won't do your homework for you. Look up college football playoffs revenue sharing and learn something. You seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

The payouts NOW are entirely and completely different. It was built into the system.

I guarantee you that you can't find one example of a team in FBS that wants out of this system. Go prove that wrong.

It isn't about the bumbfuckegypt bowl. It's about ALL bowls and what ALL of them bring into EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TEAM IN FBS.

9fifty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still like the 8 team model, each P5 conference champ, the highest ranking Group of 5 conference champ, and 2 at large teams.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or perhaps it should simply tell you that the economics of college football really don't make much sense, except for about 20-30 programs. Perhaps you could find away to boost the payouts. We know there is a nice cottage industry of bowl workers. The Cotton Bowl paid it's director 1.2 million last year. That might imply the conferences might be better off running bowls/large playoffs in house. It's a billion dollar industry and yet most of the participants are losing money, maybe there is a need for some people with strong business acumen to get involved
Most programs lose money across the athletics as a whole, not football. And most of that is title IX bullshit and how hamstrung they are from it. Yes, the money is bad. The point you keep just entirely ignoring is the money being bad has ZERO to do with the crap stain bowls. It's from the ridiculous arms race and the crazy amounts spent on facilities and stadiums schools can't afford. It's from many things that have nothing to do with that guaranteed cash grab they all get every single year.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 teams, The top two seeds get an opening round bye. First round on campus the week after conference championship games, second round as currently played.

6 seed @ 3 seed
5 seed @ 4 seed

#1 seed gets lowest remaining seed and the #2 seed gets the highest in whichever bowls have the games that year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been in favor since day 1 using an algorithm instead of human polling.

Then you are dumb.

I could probably talk for pages about the problems with this. Such things should only be used as tools for humans and nothing more.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you think players have a say in who takes the ball on any given snap? Are you really that new to college football?

There only has to be one time where a key player is hurt in a non con game that had no impact on post season play before HC's stop putting those stars at risk.

They already pull them early against scrub teams to develop that backup talent. You see the stars now in big games because those big games matter. Once they are entirely exhibition they no longer matter. And that isn't an opinion, it's pure fact. Your system cannot work without destroying the idea of OOC games. Either go to 12 against your own league or you end up with NFL style preseason. There is no way one of those two things isn't the outcome.

Players do have a say. Because when they find a coach who benches players, he won't be able to recruit them.

Contrary to belief or opinion...they don't pull starters until the third
quarter, unless it is some 50-0 game at halftime. I've heard much
coaches take heat by pulling people before the 4th quarter.

You are talking about not playing players at all. No player worth
his weight is going to sit an entire 3 or 4 games. That will never
happen.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players do have a say. Because when they find a coach who benches players, he won't be able to recruit them.

Contrary to belief or opinion...they don't pull starters until the third
quarter, unless it is some 50-0 game at halftime. I've heard much
coaches take heat by pulling people before the 4th quarter.

You are talking about not playing players at all. No player worth
his weight is going to sit an entire 3 or 4 games. That will never
happen.
We don't currently have pure exhibition games among p5 power teams. Stop trying to pretend they are the same as what we have now. They aren't.

Your desire to have a mythical fix to a problem most don't see as bad as you do is entirely clouding your ability to use rational thought and reasoning. It's that simple.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:hellno:

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't currently have pure exhibition games among p5 power teams. Stop trying to pretend they are the same as what we have now. They aren't.

Your desire to have a mythical fix to a problem most don't see as bad as you do is entirely clouding your ability to use rational thought and reasoning. It's that simple.

I've never typed one word about exhibition games. You are the
one bringing up that topic.

But one thing I haven't mentioned in detail is what I believe
the fans would want. I believe the fans are getting tired of all
these lightweights on the schedules now. Ticket prices continue
to rise and the quality of teams coming in continues to decline.

There would be no reason not to better the overall schedule
when those games won't hurt you.

Fans pay the coaches 6 mil a year to win. It's up to them to
recruit, develop and prepare their players. And at 6 mil a year,
no excuses are accepted.

I can understand one or maybe 2 lightweights on the schedule,
one to open with and another to use as an open date. After that,
the other 2 need to be other P5 teams. That belief wouldn't change. The injury factor has no bearing, just like it doesn't
right now. It's up to the coaching staff to have another player
ready to take his place. Now or in the future.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never typed one word about exhibition games. You are the
one bringing up that topic.

But one thing I haven't mentioned in detail is what I believe
the fans would want. I believe the fans are getting tired of all
these lightweights on the schedules now. Ticket prices continue
to rise and the quality of teams coming in continues to decline.

There would be no reason not to better the overall schedule
when those games won't hurt you.

Fans pay the coaches 6 mil a year to win. It's up to them to
recruit, develop and prepare their players. And at 6 mil a year,
no excuses are accepted.

I can understand one or maybe 2 lightweights on the schedule,
one to open with and another to use as an open date. After that,
the other 2 need to be other P5 teams. That belief wouldn't change. The injury factor has no bearing, just like it doesn't
right now. It's up to the coaching staff to have another player
ready to take his place. Now or in the future.
You don't have to say the word exhibition to be talking about it though. That's the consequence of making a group of games no longer have any impact at all on post season eligibility.

I don't in any way defend the status quo. I'd love to have more exciting games across the sport. Who doesn't want higher quality OOC games? Who doesn't want more fairness? I simply don't think some of what you propose does any of that without a higher cost than what it purports to solve.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to say the word exhibition to be talking about it though. That's the consequence of making a group of games no longer have any impact at all on post season eligibility.

I don't in any way defend the status quo. I'd love to have more exciting games across the sport. Who doesn't want higher quality OOC games? Who doesn't want more fairness? I simply don't think some of what you propose does any of that without a higher cost than what it purports to solve.

I don't believe that. I believe that you can have both...and the fans will accept anything where they know the selection process
in advance, as long as the process is open and easy to understand.
Folks know that black and white is a fair process. Anything that is
gray is susceptible to abuse. College football has always been buried in Gray. It's time for Black and White.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe that. I believe that you can have both...and the fans will accept anything where they know the selection process
in advance, as long as the process is open and easy to understand.
Folks know that black and white is a fair process. Anything that is
gray is susceptible to abuse. College football has always been buried in Gray. It's time for Black and White.
Only there is little really that fair in an auto bid and it's hardly black and white.

The NFL has 32 teams controlled by one central governing body. They have parity in schedules, parity in player acquisition with a hard salary cap, and the disparity in talent between the top team and the median is relatively low.

FBS has 10 entirely different conferences that all choose their own rules and criteria for just about everything. They each have different schedules and don't all play the same number of games. There is no parity of any kind in player acquisition. The difference between the top team in FBS and the median is greater than any other sport of any kind by miles.

The crowned winner of Conference USA is not on par with the crowned winner of the SEC. They are not in the same league. And yet you and your ilk want to lump them together and throw out every other very good team in the country that just happened to have a slightly better one in the same conference in lieu teams that played nothing but crap sandwiches all year.

It isn't anything that approaches fair or balanced. Sure, it's easier for casual fans to understand maybe, but that doesn't make it better or fair.