• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10 Best American Metal Bands

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tool has no business on that list IMO. If Tool is metal, than I will take FNM and the Melvins over them any day of the week.

I like Tool, but they may be one of the most overrated bands of all time.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gravitate to stoner or sludge rock more these days, and I think America has cornered the market in that genre.

in no order...

Melvins
Fu Manchu
Clutch
Kyuss
Monster Magnet
Baroness
Mastodon
Corrosion of Conformity
Kylesa
Dozer

to name a few great bands currently or recently killing it

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tool has no business on that list IMO. If Tool is metal, than I will take FNM and the Melvins over them any day of the week.

I agree that Tool in no metal band. Hate that band and shut off the radio any time that shit is on.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avenged Sevenfold and Slayer round out my top three. All three bands nail it out of the ballpark live.

Avenged does put on an excellent live show. I'll be there when they come to Oshkosh next month. That said, I personally really loved only two of their albums: Avenged Sevenfold and Nightmare. I didn't like Sounding the Seventh Trumpet at all. I liked Waking the Fallen a little. City of Evil was much better, but didn't quite love it front to back. I liked Hail to the King, but it felt too much like a cover album to love it. The Stage was okay; nothing really stood out on that album and nothing on that album really translates to a great live song. It'll be interesting to see what they play and how they present it.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I like Tool, but I do think they are overrated as well.

They are 4/4 on platinum albums, so if commercial success is a top criteria, I can't hate their inclusion.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avenged does put on an excellent live show. I'll be there when they come to Oshkosh next month. That said, I personally really loved only two of their albums: Avenged Sevenfold and Nightmare. I didn't like Sounding the Seventh Trumpet at all. I liked Waking the Fallen a little. City of Evil was much better, but didn't quite love it front to back. I liked Hail to the King, but it felt too much like a cover album to love it. The Stage was okay; nothing really stood out on that album and nothing on that album really translates to a great live song. It'll be interesting to see what they play and how they present it.
That's been an issue with me that A7X is that they have been gearing the music towards airplay for some time now. Time to go back to the roots like Metallica did, minus that Death Metal vocal shit.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's been an issue with me that A7X is that they have been gearing the music towards airplay for some time now. Time to go back to the roots like Metallica did, minus that Death Metal vocal shit.

I think The Rev's death may have permanently damaged the band's creativity and direction. I lost some interest in them when Hail to the King dropped because nothing on that album felt original. It's like the rest of the guys in the band didn't know how to compose a song, so they kinda hijacked sounds from past popular bands and stamped it with new vocals. The Stage was an experimental album as they tried to figure out who they are and how to make music post-Rev.

Right now I'm on the A7X train with my feet dangling off. Their next album will either push me off the train or pull me back on.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think The Rev's death may have permanently damaged the band's creativity and direction. I lost some interest in them when Hail to the King dropped because nothing on that album felt original. It's like the rest of the guys in the band didn't know how to compose a song, so they kinda hijacked sounds from past popular bands and stamped it with new vocals. The Stage was an experimental album as they tried to figure out who they are and how to make music post-Rev.

Right now I'm on the A7X train with my feet dangling off. Their next album will either push me off the train or pull me back on.
Rev was hell of a drummer. The band took that hit hard and it was hard to replace him. I kinda knew that it might be an impact on the band's future. We will see if they can really rebound and stop trying to be that band that sold out to get airplay.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of knocks on Metallica, but IMO the genre wouldn't be anything close to what it is today without them. They belong at #1. Period. Talk about less than stellar albums as of late, but who else can match the quality of those first 4 (5 IMO) albums? Never disappointed live whenever I saw them, but that was before Newsted left.

And I love the music Megadeth was putting out at that time as well, but for me they are just a hair behind Metallica. And despite some comments here, they have certainly regressed quite a bit along the way.

As has Slayer. Tremendous at their peak, but they haven't come close to that kind of quality work in some time.

Agree with everyone saying SOAD and Tool don't belong here. If I had my way I would probably include Overkill (underrated AF IMO) and might consider Every Time I Die for another more recent band.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump

Last edited:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump

Last edited:

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, you guys are so pathetic. There is only two answers to this thread. One: Steppenwolf, the one and first metal band. Two: Blue Oyster Cult, the thinking man's heavy metal band.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, you guys are so pathetic. There is only two answers to this thread. One: Steppenwolf, the one and first metal band. Two: Blue Oyster Cult, the thinking man's heavy metal band.

Good calls but again the ambiguous definition of metal comes into play. Steppenwolf is more groove 60's psychedelia with a bit of metal guitar riffs thrown in now and again. Blue Oyster Cult certainly moves into metal realm more often so they should probably be included.

Also, good call on Mastadon. I should have included them in the original list.

I recently picked an album from The Sword. Basically they are the Melvins if they were from Texas and played all Edgar Rice Burroughs themed songs.