• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better than my Eagles for sure. The Birds may end up with a top 5 pick with all the injuries they have. They need a better strength and conditioning coach apparently. Pretty pathetic.
Trust the process.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team not being big enough or tough enough has been a complaint of mine for a few years now. That being said i dont think that's why we stink on the PK. We stink on the PK because Hexy put together a small team with only offensive skills and nobody with the ability to block shots or win board battles consistently. Some have brought up coaching and i agree but if we had player to execute the PK coach would look a lot better.

I still think coaching is the primary problem. Couturier, Giroux, AMac, and Gudas at least have all shown they can be at least passable PK-ers at some point in their careers. There's nothing passable about what they're doing right now. They're bordering on historically bad. The worst PK for a season ever was the 79-80 Kings at 67.7%. The 18-19 Flyers at 68.2%. Only .5% better than WORST ALL TIME.

I don't care what they do, but they should be throwing everything out. Put 8 new PK-ers in the rotation, drastically change the system, fire the PK coach, play with 3 forwards and 1 D or 1D and 3F. They should be doing anything and everything right now. It is one of the worst PK's in NHL history with 25% of the season gone. If the management/coaches aren't doing anything, and relying on 'internal improvements', they need to GTFO.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And honestly I've had quite enough of "well if the players could execute it, it would be better", in defense of Lappy. That's like saying if I could just execute my lottery numbers better I'd be rich. If players can't execute his system well enough to be even mediocre, in 4 years, then your system either sucks or it's too complicated for players. Either way, CHANGE IT YOU DUMBASS!

I'm so sick of this bull shit passive box PK. It doesn't work for any team in the entire league. And the PK's that are good are balls to the wall aggressive. Emulate what's working and stop being holier than thou with your proven-to-be-trash, weak-ass passive box. It's garbage. Move on.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry about your QB this week. Season may be over for you.
Not looking good. I will say I think McCoy will be just fine. He has been around this team for years so nothing is new.

Defense needs to step up

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think coaching is the primary problem. Couturier, Giroux, AMac, and Gudas at least have all shown they can be at least passable PK-ers at some point in their careers. There's nothing passable about what they're doing right now. They're bordering on historically bad. The worst PK for a season ever was the 79-80 Kings at 67.7%. The 18-19 Flyers at 68.2%. Only .5% better than WORST ALL TIME.

I don't care what they do, but they should be throwing everything out. Put 8 new PK-ers in the rotation, drastically change the system, fire the PK coach, play with 3 forwards and 1 D or 1D and 3F. They should be doing anything and everything right now. It is one of the worst PK's in NHL history with 25% of the season gone. If the management/coaches aren't doing anything, and relying on 'internal improvements', they need to GTFO.
Amac doesn't play anymore. Gee is not a Pker anymore. Couts yes and Gudas yes. Which 6 other guys would you like to see out there on the PK?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And honestly I've had quite enough of "well if the players could execute it, it would be better", in defense of Lappy. That's like saying if I could just execute my lottery numbers better I'd be rich. If players can't execute his system well enough to be even mediocre, in 4 years, then your system either sucks or it's too complicated for players. Either way, CHANGE IT YOU DUMBASS!

I'm so sick of this bull shit passive box PK. It doesn't work for any team in the entire league. And the PK's that are good are balls to the wall aggressive. Emulate what's working and stop being holier than thou with your proven-to-be-trash, weak-ass passive box. It's garbage. Move on.
If you have small guys who dont block shots and aren't big enough to win board battles what is Lappy supposed to do? Im all for changing the coach but our team just isn't built for the PK. I hate to say it but Lehtera is one of our better Pkers and his reward was to sit and watch.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have small guys who dont block shots and aren't big enough to win board battles what is Lappy supposed to do? Im all for changing the coach but our team just isn't built for the PK. I hate to say it but Lehtera is one of our better Pkers and his reward was to sit and watch.

He's supposed to have a successful PK. If he's got small guys that don't block shots, design a PK that does something else to prevent goals. Lining up a bunch of guys that don't block shots, in positions to block shots, is stupid. Make adjustments. If you've got a bunch of small, somewhat quick guys, pressure the puck instead. Force turnovers instead of trying to block shots. Michael Grabner wasn't going to help the PK by blocking shots, he's got 3 blocks on the PK this year. There are other ways to kill penalties.

That might not all be on Lappy. If Hextall believes in Lappy as a PK coach, and Lappy's system is to sit back and block shots, then Hextall has not provided the proper personnel. On the flip side, if Hextall believes in his personnel, he should not have Lappy as the coach if he's unwilling to change his approach to fit the personnel.

As for Lehtera..

In the past 3 seasons, nobody that has played the PK regularly for the Flyers has had a higher goals against rate per 60 while shorthanded than Lehtera. While the Flyers are shorthanded and he's on the ice, they're allowing 10.7 goals/60 minutes. I don't just disagree with your stance that Lehtera is one of their better PK-ers, I think he's THE worst PK-er they have had in the last 3 seasons.

Post #3543 lays out the top 16 in SHTOI if you want in details. But for scale, Giroux is at 8.1, Couturier is at 8.1. Matt Read was the best at 5.4.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amac doesn't play anymore. Gee is not a Pker anymore. Couts yes and Gudas yes. Which 6 other guys would you like to see out there on the PK?

If I had my way, they'd have an aggressive AF penalty kill. Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Simmonds, and Laughton would be the forwards. Provorov, Hagg, Gudas, and Ghost would be the dmen. And the trigger man on the opponents PP (aka the 'Giroux' on the other team), would be under constant pressure. Watch the Flyers when they're on the PP. If Giroux doesn't face pressure, it's going to be a good night for the PP. If he does get pressured, the PP is going to suck. If he's below the hash marks, the dman on that side is on him. If he's above the hash marks, the forward is on him. And you adjust your 2nd pressure point based on the team you're playing against. To keep it simple, if you're playing against the Flyers, you pressure the hell out of Giroux and don't give Ghost any space. That shuts down the Flyers PP routinely.

To be successful on the kill you need to win the puck, and you need to clear the puck. Trotting Lehtera, AMac, Folin, and Weiss types out there has a few major problems.

Number one, they're too slow to win the puck. They have size to win a board battle, but if the other team is good on the PP, they don't get into board battles in the first place. They move the puck around and keep the defense on their heels.

Number two, even if they do win the puck, they suck at moving the puck. They can't complete passes, they can barely complete clears. They can't clear the zone. So on the rare case that they get the puck on their stick, chances are they're turning it over or the dman keeps a clear in at the line.

The result is long PK shifts that inevitably end in goals. Right now the only thing the Flyers do well on the PK is defend the blue-line. They force a decent amount of turnovers there, and it's easier to get clears there because the PP is all moving towards the Flyers net, not trying to keep clears in. But if teams can get in the zone, they will get set up, and they will have time to do what they want. You could have all the shot blockers in the world, PP's are too talented now. They will move the puck around too fast for you to keep up with and eventually a shooting lane will open. And with the Flyers, who don't clear the front of the net, if the goalie gives up a rebound, it's an easy tap in for the net front presence.

The Flyers PK sucks and they're not doing anything about it. It drives me INSANE. If the greater hockey minds than me think it's a shot blocking problem, then get some shot blockers in here. I don't really agree*, but at least do something to try to make it better.

*shot blockers are by and large big, plodding, Nick Grossmann / Derian Hatcher type guys. While those guys would probably help this PK, they'd have to skate 5 on 5 shifts as well and they would get abused at 5 on 5. I would love to add a Timonen type, who could skate, pressure the puck, block shots, and make clears. They're just harder to find these days.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had my way, they'd have an aggressive AF penalty kill. Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Simmonds, and Laughton would be the forwards. Provorov, Hagg, Gudas, and Ghost would be the dmen. And the trigger man on the opponents PP (aka the 'Giroux' on the other team), would be under constant pressure. Watch the Flyers when they're on the PP. If Giroux doesn't face pressure, it's going to be a good night for the PP. If he does get pressured, the PP is going to suck. If he's below the hash marks, the dman on that side is on him. If he's above the hash marks, the forward is on him. And you adjust your 2nd pressure point based on the team you're playing against. To keep it simple, if you're playing against the Flyers, you pressure the hell out of Giroux and don't give Ghost any space. That shuts down the Flyers PP routinely.

To be successful on the kill you need to win the puck, and you need to clear the puck. Trotting Lehtera, AMac, Folin, and Weiss types out there has a few major problems.

Number one, they're too slow to win the puck. They have size to win a board battle, but if the other team is good on the PP, they don't get into board battles in the first place. They move the puck around and keep the defense on their heels.

Number two, even if they do win the puck, they suck at moving the puck. They can't complete passes, they can barely complete clears. They can't clear the zone. So on the rare case that they get the puck on their stick, chances are they're turning it over or the dman keeps a clear in at the line.

The result is long PK shifts that inevitably end in goals. Right now the only thing the Flyers do well on the PK is defend the blue-line. They force a decent amount of turnovers there, and it's easier to get clears there because the PP is all moving towards the Flyers net, not trying to keep clears in. But if teams can get in the zone, they will get set up, and they will have time to do what they want. You could have all the shot blockers in the world, PP's are too talented now. They will move the puck around too fast for you to keep up with and eventually a shooting lane will open. And with the Flyers, who don't clear the front of the net, if the goalie gives up a rebound, it's an easy tap in for the net front presence.

The Flyers PK sucks and they're not doing anything about it. It drives me INSANE. If the greater hockey minds than me think it's a shot blocking problem, then get some shot blockers in here. I don't really agree*, but at least do something to try to make it better.

*shot blockers are by and large big, plodding, Nick Grossmann / Derian Hatcher type guys. While those guys would probably help this PK, they'd have to skate 5 on 5 shifts as well and they would get abused at 5 on 5. I would love to add a Timonen type, who could skate, pressure the puck, block shots, and make clears. They're just harder to find these days.
Gee already plays PP and regular shifts so getting him burned out on the PK is not smart at all. Lets just say for example Ovi is winding up on Gee's side of the ice what should we do if the shot hits him and he gets hurt and is out for 6 weeks. Not to mention Pkers have to go into corners and dig the puck out none of which Gee does and if he did do it on the PK he would be losing energy for the PP and regular shifts. Hard pass on Gee playing on the PK. Most teams have third and fourth line guys who can play two way hockey and thats who they use on the PK so they have their stars well rested for PP and regular shifts and not getting hurt blocking shots.Our great GM has done a crappy job of putting together a complete team.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a goalie who is both good and healthy.
Im not sure that's it as Elliot has very similar stats as Lundqvist. They have a bunch of guys hustling around on every shift like they will get sent down if they have one bad shift. They have been playing a 60 minute game every night.
That all stops Friday as we kick their ass 5-1.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's supposed to have a successful PK. If he's got small guys that don't block shots, design a PK that does something else to prevent goals. Lining up a bunch of guys that don't block shots, in positions to block shots, is stupid. Make adjustments. If you've got a bunch of small, somewhat quick guys, pressure the puck instead. Force turnovers instead of trying to block shots. Michael Grabner wasn't going to help the PK by blocking shots, he's got 3 blocks on the PK this year. There are other ways to kill penalties.

That might not all be on Lappy. If Hextall believes in Lappy as a PK coach, and Lappy's system is to sit back and block shots, then Hextall has not provided the proper personnel. On the flip side, if Hextall believes in his personnel, he should not have Lappy as the coach if he's unwilling to change his approach to fit the personnel.

As for Lehtera..

In the past 3 seasons, nobody that has played the PK regularly for the Flyers has had a higher goals against rate per 60 while shorthanded than Lehtera. While the Flyers are shorthanded and he's on the ice, they're allowing 10.7 goals/60 minutes. I don't just disagree with your stance that Lehtera is one of their better PK-ers, I think he's THE worst PK-er they have had in the last 3 seasons.

Post #3543 lays out the top 16 in SHTOI if you want in details. But for scale, Giroux is at 8.1, Couturier is at 8.1. Matt Read was the best at 5.4.
Thanks for pointing out we need guys like Grabner instead of golden boy JVR on this team.