• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the game ended 8-2, but it was probably more of an 8-6 type game, we just had some horrific luck in the offensive zone and some of our top players are still a touch off, G definitely included. I thought we had enough offensive pressure to win a game, but the defense was terrible and the Sharks were also getting every bounce. When you don't hustle and lose most of the battles, you don't get the bounces though. That's how it works.

I hope it's a lesson learned. If it's not, what else has to happen? When someone hangs 8 on you, and it probably could've been 10 or 12, everything has to be better next time out and moving forward.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, get ready for some cranky old man former player former coach mansplaining.

This was not the coaches fault. This was not the GM's fault. This was not the goalies fault. This was not Gritty's fault.
This was the fault of the group of players...let's call the the core....who didn't work. There is a point in every season and with every group of players where they believe that they are bigger/better/know more/are more important than not only the coach, but the rest of the team. Last night's game had all the earmarks of one of those occasions. The top two lines over passed, took shots from poor scoring positions and didn't back check. The gap support was non existent. And this included Cooter who is usually the best defensive forward on the team. Now, there is a school of thought that says Hakstol should have called time out and screamed at them. There is a school of thought that he should have benched them. (imagine the uproar in here if G was benched when it was 3-0?). Then, there is the school of thought that you step back and let them fail. Let them get humiliated being lazy and not working. Then you start the next practice with "everyone ready to work?" If they have half a brain they get it...that they screwed up. If they don't then they don't belong.

Either way, yes loosing sucks and loosing that way sucks, but if you are going to loose the score really doesn't matter it is what happened to make the score that way. The Flyers could have done everything right and lost 3-2 last night. It would still have been a loss. How much would they have learned from it? What would have been the takeaway? From this game it was that if you don't show up you get smoked. The coach isn't going to protect your goalie for you.

Here endith the Epistle.
Although I agree with a lot of this, they interviewed G before the game and one of the things hr mentioned was not taking games off this season. I guess he meant after last night lol. Oh well, at least it's early.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, get ready for some cranky old man former player former coach mansplaining.

This was not the coaches fault. This was not the GM's fault. This was not the goalies fault. This was not Gritty's fault.
This was the fault of the group of players...let's call the the core....who didn't work. There is a point in every season and with every group of players where they believe that they are bigger/better/know more/are more important than not only the coach, but the rest of the team. Last night's game had all the earmarks of one of those occasions. The top two lines over passed, took shots from poor scoring positions and didn't back check. The gap support was non existent. And this included Cooter who is usually the best defensive forward on the team. Now, there is a school of thought that says Hakstol should have called time out and screamed at them. There is a school of thought that he should have benched them. (imagine the uproar in here if G was benched when it was 3-0?). Then, there is the school of thought that you step back and let them fail. Let them get humiliated being lazy and not working. Then you start the next practice with "everyone ready to work?" If they have half a brain they get it...that they screwed up. If they don't then they don't belong.

Either way, yes loosing sucks and loosing that way sucks, but if you are going to loose the score really doesn't matter it is what happened to make the score that way. The Flyers could have done everything right and lost 3-2 last night. It would still have been a loss. How much would they have learned from it? What would have been the takeaway? From this game it was that if you don't show up you get smoked. The coach isn't going to protect your goalie for you.

Here endith the Epistle.
I agree with most of this especially the core. We've been doing this for about 8-10 years now where we dont play a full game and yesterdays first period was a perfect example. Nobody hit anyone, nobody chased after the puck, nobody cut time and space. However i do have to lay some of the blame on Haks as he had no business messing with the top 6. Why pull TK off of the first line after 2 games? Now you changed two lines and with the injury to JVR our third line was changed also. This core has never responded well to change. I also have to put some blame on the GM as our main issues from last season were never addressed. Defense,PK, goalies and size were the main issues and still are. Hopefully its early and we can work out some of those problems.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I agree with a lot of this, they interviewed G before the game and one of the things hr mentioned was not taking games off this season. I guess he meant after last night lol. Oh well, at least it's early.
SJ took a page straight out of Pitts playoff series against us last season. Pressure our defense, throw pucks at the net and score a lot of goals. It was the same game plan and we got the same results.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summarizing an Athletic article

Flyers rankings
Height: 9th tallest
Weight: 18th heaviest
Avg draft position: 20th highest avg position

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summarizing an Athletic article

Flyers rankings
Height: 9th tallest
Weight: 18th heaviest
Avg draft position: 20th highest avg position
Did the article happen to say what to do when we get pressured in our own zone?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ took a page straight out of Pitts playoff series against us last season. Pressure our defense, throw pucks at the net and score a lot of goals. It was the same game plan and we got the same results.

Listened to portions here and there, and I’ve read some recaps. But this seems pretty accurate to me. The flyers defense, especially when Provorov seems to be struggling out of the gate, is extremely vulnerable. Make them play defense and the flyers have a problem.

I also think a good portion of this was ‘well, time to start planning for tomorrow’ at some point in the first period. No timeout and no goalie change when there are 4 goals against in the first period is the coach throwing in the towel. Saving Pickard for tonight’s game. Saving the timeout is asinine, but Hak always saves it. After the 2nd goal, he should have called a timeout at least. Wake them up.

Not excusing the players, they obviously played terribly. But the coach should’ve done something if he was trying to win last night. He didn’t. And the players saw that and threw in the towel also.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the article happen to say what to do when we get pressured in our own zone?

Based on the flyers actions, the only answer is to blindly throw it up the middle of the ice. Right? :lol:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listened to portions here and there, and I’ve read some recaps. But this seems pretty accurate to me. The flyers defense, especially when Provorov seems to be struggling out of the gate, is extremely vulnerable. Make them play defense and the flyers have a problem.

I also think a good portion of this was ‘well, time to start planning for tomorrow’ at some point in the first period. No timeout and no goalie change when there are 4 goals against in the first period is the coach throwing in the towel. Saving Pickard for tonight’s game. Saving the timeout is asinine, but Hak always saves it. After the 2nd goal, he should have called a timeout at least. Wake them up.

Not excusing the players, they obviously played terribly. But the coach should’ve done something if he was trying to win last night. He didn’t. And the players saw that and threw in the towel also.
I am in total agreement about Haks but what i think he should've done was leave the top 6 alone. I dont think we come out and get smoked in the 1st if we had our regular lines .

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in total agreement about Haks but what i think he should've done was leave the top 6 alone. I dont think we come out and get smoked in the 1st if we had our regular lines .
I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference one way or the other last night, like we all saw, absolutely no effort.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the flyers actions, the only answer is to blindly throw it up the middle of the ice. Right? :lol:

Nah, MacDonald is happy to ice the puck or toss it over the glass instead...Lol

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's early still, but for Nolan Patrick to have zero points combined throughout the entire preseason and all three regular season games is becoming alarming after he closed last season with 17 points in his final 25 games.

Maybe put the guy back on the top power play unit to get him some confidence. It seemed to work last season, for sure. I would do this in a heartbeat. It won't hurt the top unit if you sub him for Couturier and Sean has enough confidence in his own right all over the ice. You won't hurt his play or his feelings.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with that too. I get trying to get Voracek going, but I think you’ve got to let them get it going with their normal line mates. Game 3 is pretty early to start juggling.

Sounded like the kid-line (Lindblom-Patrick-Konecny) got off to a good start last night, generated a couple early chances. But also sounds like they completely collapsed after giving up a somewhat fluky first goal.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank goodness (I hope) that they have to get right back at it tonight.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have learned an early lesson that we need to hustle every night and help the defense which in turn would help our goalie. We cant get into another early season hole.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have learned an early lesson that we need to hustle every night and help the defense which in turn would help our goalie. We cant get into another early season hole.
I was thinking that way. Maybe they took the Sharks too lightly because of the way the Sharks played the night before. Add in that it was a home opener that we were supposed to win. It's like in baseball, you can't hit a 5 run home run. You have to stay calm and try to chip away.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, my thought as well. I'm not concerned just yet, but if they don't come out and play with a major sense of urgency tonight then we've got a problem.