• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(1) Vancouver Canucks vs. (8) Los Angeles Kings Series Thread

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
NHL has sent out a note indicating cut on Dustin Brown was from puck, not Henrik Sedin

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said the other night, I don't count Vancouver out of this. In fact, if I had to bet, I'd probably wager right now on Vancouver winning this thing.

I honestly think that teams are going to start coming back with more frequency from being down 3 games to none. Philadelphia did it a couple of years ago and Chicago almost did it last year. I think a lot of it is just a mental barrier; when you see how possible it actually is, you really start to believe you can do it.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said the other night, I don't count Vancouver out of this. In fact, if I had to bet, I'd probably wager right now on Vancouver winning this thing.

I honestly think that teams are going to start coming back with more frequency from being down 3 games to none. Philadelphia did it a couple of years ago and Chicago almost did it last year. I think a lot of it is just a mental barrier; when you see how possible it actually is, you really start to believe you can do it.

The hockey gods smiled on Vancouver tonight. In the first three games they couldn't buy a break with all the money in the world.

One goal was going wide until Richards deflected it past Quick. The Kings hit the post off a rebound on the powerplay. The killer was the penalty shot save by Schneider which was impressive because he seemed so calm while he out waited Brown. A few seconds later it was 3-1. Game Over.

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this could easily be 3-2 coming back to LA next week...would not be surprised if the Queefs choked away the lead, in fact would love to see this go to 7 games.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I figured both Philly and LA had to sweep or they could be in trouble. I think this holds true even moreso for LA because now Daniel is back. I think 1 of those 2 teams will come all the way back and win their series with Vancouver being the more likely pick in my opinion. I still don't think coming back from down 3-0 is going to happen very often though, mostly because it's usually a much weaker team that goes down 3-0. But when you're generally perceived as the better of the 2 teams but were missing a key player for the 1st 3 games and get him back in the 4th, that's a totally different situation.

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... anyone want to offer a goaltender a contract longer than three years ever again?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL has sent out a note indicating cut on Dustin Brown was from puck, not Henrik Sedin

havent got caught up on this thread yet went straight to last page ... but people didnt debate what henrik did on here did they?

Dustin Brown post game ...

reporter: what did you think about the Sedin hit tonight
Brown: what hit?

His eyes were watered up from the puck to the face and he actually though an LA King teammate skated by and bumped him

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only saw the one replay and it was a bad angle, but that coupled with puck's original post had me thinking Henrik has exacted some revenge.

/Grapes called him a warrior last night on Coaches Corner

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From this angle it actually looks like Henrik misses as Brown flings his head back after being hit by the puck.

Last edited by a moderator:

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in gif format

henrik-sedin.gif

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a glancing blow like a get out of my way thing.

brown and henrik exchange nastier slashes and stick work about 15 seconds before that.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be tough to get a taker on that contract; more specifically, ten years or something left.

I'm sure they'll try, though

Luongo has an out in his deal in two years and whichever club holds his contract has one two years after that. It's essentially a 4-year deal now.

there are always teams that need to make the cap floor ... Luongos cap hit is 5.33 mill ... actual dollars out would average 4.73 per year

Jeff Sly said earlier in the thread that we could get some pretty good value in a trade for Luongo. DOUBTFUL ... with that contract some would still take him but canucks would either have to take a bad contract back in return (ie Ryan Malone ... no Vinny Lecavalier isnt going to agree to go to vancouver) or give him away for a young player/picks ... sure that could be seen as giving away an asset ... no matter how diminished he is in the market ... but they would also get cap space which is what they need to make their next push ... their cap dollars havent been efficiently distributed because of the Luongo contract for a couple years now and him going would give them flexibility ... I want Luongo to succeed here but at some point the tough decision has to be made for the betterment of the franchise

(my sig line is a dream but like Oprah says ... say your dreams everyday and they end up coming true - lol)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Brent Burns got nothing for the elbow he threw at scott nichol Im sure henrik should be getting 12 games

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at the headline writer:

Canucks go with Cory Schneider: It looks like it's over for Roberto Luongo
Schneider's Game 4 start means Luongo's next start might be for Tampa

You can stop calling Cory Schneider the backup.

Two playoff starts in a row mean those days are behind him. Kind of like Roberto Luongo's Canucks' days.

In a decision that is sure to have lasting implications, head coach Alain Vigneault tapped Schneider instead of Luongo, once the captain and the core of the team, in the Canucks critical win-or-go-home Game 4.

It's unclear when Luongo's next start will be, but if it's for Tampa Bay, no one will be surprised. What seems implausible now is that Luongo is back in Vancouver next year.

Luongo chose not to talk with media, but this will be hard for him to deal with. He was the starter for Game 1 of the playoffs. He played two games, was great at points, consistently good and made just a handful of mistakes.

This isn't about his play. This is about the team believing that Schneider is better. And if the team feels that way now, why didn't it feel that way to start the postseason?

It's a great question. What happens if the Canucks go back to Luongo for Game 5. No way, you say? Don't for a second think that's not possible.

Either way, why would Luongo want to come back and split the position next year? Or worse, be resigned to being the backup, if Schneider does prove he really is better?

The Canucks took away Luongo's goalie coach Ian Clark a couple of years ago. They reduced his workload dramatically, even though he has always said he loves to play. And now, he's benched for the two biggest games of the year, a decision made by Vigneault. It's one that had to involve GM Mike Gillis and strong input from goalie coach Rollie Melanson.

It's Melanson who works the closest with the goalies, and it's Schneider who has been the much better student. Schneider has picked up Melanson's technique faster and more entirely. In the middle of this season, Melanson, in a way, threw up his hands with Luongo, allowing him to charge out of his crease more, challenging shooters.

Schneider plays like a Melanson goalie. Luongo does not.

So to sum up, they fired his coach, changed his technique, and took away his job in the playoffs, which he lives for. Being a proud man, and fiercely competitive, at some point Luongo is going to say enough is enough.

That some point is expected to be this summer.

"I'm not surprised at all," Schneider said before putting forth a command performance in Wednesday's 3-1 victory. "Nothing surprises us anymore. We both have to be ready for anything. After playing last game, I thought there was a chance I would play again.

"We're both professionals and grown men. We can handle anything they decide."

Trading Luongo won't be easy, but it won't be as complicated as some people think. Yes, he'd get to pick his destination. He'll choose a few teams, maybe both in Florida.

There is an out clause in his contract for the organization he plays for eight years into his deal. He's just finished year two, so essentially, the team that picks it up will be taking on a six-year deal that will see Luongo earn $40.2 million. His cap hit is $5.33 million a year. All reasonable, considering what Ilya Bryzgalov got in Philadelphia.

You can bet Toronto would be interested, and maybe even Detroit. Most assume his landing spot would be Tampa Bay.

The Canucks may have to take a bad contract in return, but it won't be one as long as Luongo's.

Coming back with both goalies next year can't be totally ruled out, but it seems terribly unlikely right now.

If Luongo is gone, life will change for Schneider, who would be the starter for the first time in his NHL career.

He is seven years younger, but still has to prove he can carry the load over the course of a regular season as the No. 1 goalie.

"I've been a starter at other levels, I played 60 games in Manitoba," Schneider said. "I understand, it's not the NHL. But you have the same ups and downs in that season as you would in any season. It's harder to be perfect over more games."

And we all know Vancouver demands their goalies be perfect

Read more: Canucks go with Cory Schneider: It looks like it's over for Roberto Luongo

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luongo has an out in his deal in two years and whichever club holds his contract has one two years after that. It's essentially a 4-year deal now.

there are always teams that need to make the cap floor ... Luongos cap hit is 5.33 mill ... actual dollars out would average 4.73 per year

Jeff Sly said earlier in the thread that we could get some pretty good value in a trade for Luongo. DOUBTFUL ... with that contract some would still take him but canucks would either have to take a bad contract back in return (ie Ryan Malone ... no Vinny Lecavalier isnt going to agree to go to vancouver) or give him away for a young player/picks ... sure that could be seen as giving away an asset ... no matter how diminished he is in the market ... but they would also get cap space which is what they need to make their next push ... their cap dollars havent been efficiently distributed because of the Luongo contract for a couple years now and him going would give them flexibility ... I want Luongo to succeed here but at some point the tough decision has to be made for the betterment of the franchise

(my sig line is a dream but like Oprah says ... say your dreams everyday and they end up coming true - lol)

I think the return would be Malone for contract alone. Malone can be effective but his dollar value is silly but for this contract you have to take to give. There is a decent market for Luongo in both Tampa and Florida both Tallon and Yzerman have expressed their luongo bromance. If there are takers for contracts like Carter there are takers for Luongos remaining years... Never underestimate the stupi........savviness of a NHL GM in a small market

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the return would be Malone for contract alone. Malone can be effective but his dollar value is silly but for this contract you have to take to give. There is a decent market for Luongo in both Tampa and Florida both Tallon and Yzerman have expressed their luongo bromance. If there are takers for contracts like Carter there are takers for Luongos remaining years... Never underestimate the stupi........savviness of a NHL GM in any market

i agree but i fixed one small thing

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3