• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(1) Vancouver Canucks vs (5) Nashville Predators - Series Thread

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its origins dont really have anything to do with hockey ... we're canadas la-la land

"Are the Vancouver Canucks Canada's Team? ... No. They're not." -Edmonton Sun sports columnist Terry Jones, in his May 6 column.

"Canucks as Canada's team? No thanks" -April 28 posting of National Post blogger Joe O'Connor, in which he stated he would rather starve than cheer for the Canucks.

"Of some 2,500 posts related to the Vancouver-Nashville series on the Flames Forum at calgarypuck.com, the vast majority are virulently anti-Canuck ..." -Calgary Herald sports columnist Kevin Brooker, in his May 9 column.

As you can see, the rest of Canada, which we here in Vancouver officially refer to as A Good Place To Be From, has been busy reminding us that they do not like our hockey team.

What they really mean is they do not like Vancouver.

This, of course, is nothing new to Vancouver. The rest of Canada has always hated us because we're the prettiest girl in school, and the less pretty girls -you know, the kind who dress all in black and think they're intellectuals because they looked up "existentialism" -like to think we are dumber and shallower than they are, which normally we would respond to, except that we're too busy right now brushing our hair. We're getting ready to go out. We have a totally bitchin' night ahead of us. We're going out dancing.

The rest of Canada says, oh no, it's not you. It's nothing personal. It's not envy or anything like that.

We just don't like your team, the rest of Canada says. They're not Canadian.

Well, okay. Point taken. There is Ryan Kesler, who is American, and therefore someone who is only being nice so he can steal our oil and water. There are the Sedin twins, who National Post blogger Joe O'Connor referred to as "identically brilliant but somehow bland" -by which he means, I can only suppose, that he prefers brilliance with a side order of criminal charges and drug abuse, or that the Sedins have yet to commit the requisite violence needed to make it into a Don Cherry Rock'em Sock'em video. And there is Roberto Luongo, whose hair gel is Italian.

In our defence, we would point out the obvious, that many Canadians are not from Canada -Exhibit A, most of Vancouver -which even the Conservatives had figured out by election time.

But that's a fact that hasn't seemed to have penetrated hockey's thicker craniums. All those concussions. This is your brain on skates.

But what they really mean by the Canucks being un-Canadian is that Vancouver is un-Canadian -that here, frostbitten bodily extremities do not fall off during the winters as nature intended, that the coffee does not taste sufficiently enough of pencil shavings and that we no longer consider chicken à la king Chinese food.

Edmonton Sun columnist Terry Jones lumbered down this well-worn path by interviewing, of all people I have never heard of, Vancouverbased sportswriter Vesa Rantanen, NHL correspondent for a Finnish magazine that has three a's and two k's in its name.

"How Canadian a city is Vancouver to start with?" Rantanen mused in Jones's column. "It never snows. It never freezes. The city is not known about any real Canadian thing ... I find Vancouver the least Canadian city of all the places I've been.

"It's not just a climate thing, but attitude. This is more Northern California than Canada. Nothing bad about that, but I think outsiders see it as yuppie, expensive and shallow."

Well, duh. Tell us something we didn't know, Rantanen. We are yuppie, expensive and shallow. Look at the place! We'd be stupid not to be yuppie, expensive and shallow. I'm writing this column in my hot tub while sipping a clever little Okanagan Pinot Gris. Life is good here.

Which is stating the obvious. Which is like telling Edmontonians that they live on an ice rink where the only thing standing between them and the frigid blasts that come roaring out of Siberia are the frozen bodies of other Edmontonians, or like telling Calgarians that their uniquely colourful city explores the full range of the spectrum from tan to cowchip. And also that both of their hockey teams suck.

Not that we hold any of that against you, rest of Canada. You are who you are, and we are who we are.

All we would ask of you is don't hate us because we're beautiful.

Oh, who am I kidding?

Go ahead. Hate us.

We don't care.

In fact, we revel in it.

Because we have a dance to go to, and you don't, poor things.

Read more: Opinion: Dear rest of Canada - please get your own hockey team

Wow!! I guess a Sharks vs Canucks WCF would be a NIGHTMARE for the rest of Canada. I mean were talking about high rent district vs high rent district.

Being a SoCal native I can understand. Here's a little fact you may or may not know. Auto maker Mercedes Benz sells more cars in Southern California than anywhere else in the World. Their are two dealerships in Orange County. One in Newport Beach the other in Mission Viejo. There are people actually dumb enough to spend over 100 thousand dollars on a Mercedes.

I remember a couple of years ago my boss was so excited about getting his new car. He showed everyone the brochure & it seemed like he knew every single feature it came with. I admit I was happy for him like everyone else. I just couldn't figure out what the big deal was. He bought the cheapest Mercedes on the market.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3