• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1) Golden State Warriors vs. 8) Los Angeles Clippers

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, let's say they don't have KD, don't have Klay and they have a max slot available to sign a free agent as the hypothetical situation. Do you believe there's any way for the Warriors to improve by signing another player?
Kawhi?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably the only guy I can think of. And on top of that he's in a great place in Toronto, where they can max him too. There's really no fall back situation after Kawhi.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did win 60+ and took Cs to 7 with less talent and no home court in the past.

The only other play they had was Jamison but they didn't have some shooters like they did in 08-09. Shaq wasn't that good either, less playing time for Big Z which hurt imo. But the Celtics also added some players, they added Rasheed which was a big pickup and perfect fit imo. Hard to compare years but Lebron definitely didn't give up. He had 27, 19 and 10. They were just outmatched, plain and simple. Boston was the better team.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could understand that line of thinking with 3-4 rings in the bank already.

I don't. I think Steph and Klay because of the way they play will still be very viable players at least throughout the duration of their next contract. If they were 33 right now, I'd say there's no way you max them because then you'd be legacy paying them. Klay and Steph have the ability to earn every dollar of their contracts going forward.

Alternately, if you canvas the league, you now have two separate categories: 1) Super Max and 2) Max Contract.

Klay doesn't fall under the Supermax like Steph, Russ, Harden, etc. But he does fall under the max category. If you separate them by tiers as such, then you canvas the league for max players, Klay is certainly in that tier.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, let's say they don't have KD, don't have Klay and they have a max slot available to sign a free agent as the hypothetical situation. Do you believe there's any way for the Warriors to improve by signing another player?

Kemba and Kyrie are out, they have Steph.

Kawhi? Maybe but I would highly doubt it. You really never know though.

I doubt they would sign Cousins to a long-term either. His career could possibly be in jeopardy.

Jimmy Butler, Kawhi or Middleton. I say.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the FA market I think Kawhi would make them better than Klay would but doubt he comes with no Durant nor Klay. Maybe Butler but his attitude would scare me. I really like Middleton's game but would have to agree with what msg said and would rather just keep Klay if I was GS as I think they might be done winning titles if that were to happen.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt they would sign Cousins to a long-term either. His career could possibly be in jeopardy.

JB? No thanks. Middleton would be a serviceable replacement, but I'm not sure he could put up the new volume of scoring that would be required with Durant now gone. But then you'd have to max Middleton too, since he's not coming cheap either.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the FA market I think Kawhi would make them better than Klay would but doubt he comes with no Durant nor Klay. Maybe Butler but his attitude would scare me. I really like Middleton's game but would have to agree with what msg said and would rather just keep Klay if I was GS as I think they might be done winning titles if that were to happen.

The goal for the Warriors will still be to win championships. Keeping Klay would keep with that same thinking. I'm not looking to keep anyone, even Draymond who I love, just simply for nostalgia. Klay is one of the top 5 free agents in this class for a reason.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD is gone. It is pretty obvious. He is probably still hurt about what Draymond said to him about they won without him, they didn't need him. Probably had a big cry about it lol

Anyways I don't think Draymond is right. They couldn't win without him. He was the main reason they won so easily. That will be seen next year tho...And it will be interesting to see if Durant can win with Kyrie like Lebron did

Not sure Kyrie is definitely going to NY. I could see him going to L.A.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. I think Steph and Klay because of the way they play will still be very viable players at least throughout the duration of their next contract. If they were 33 right now, I'd say there's no way you max them because then you'd be legacy paying them. Klay and Steph have the ability to earn every dollar of their contracts going forward.

Alternately, if you canvas the league, you now have two separate categories: 1) Super Max and 2) Max Contract.

Klay doesn't fall under the Supermax like Steph, Russ, Harden, etc. But he does fall under the max category. If you separate them by tiers as such, then you canvas the league for max players, Klay is certainly in that tier.
I think we are pretty much on the same page. I'd be inclined to keep him as not sure they'd improve enough to make another title push regardless if Durant bolts. Maybe with Kawhi.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure Kyrie is definitely going to NY. I could see him going to L.A.

One plausible option for him would also be going to Dallas. They have room for a max contract too. Him, Luka and Porzingas would be a great core going forward. Their games compliment each other too, IMO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those are the same 3 I named. I really like Middleton.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are pretty much on the same page. I'd be inclined to keep him as not sure they'd improve enough to make another title push regardless if Durant bolts. Maybe with Kawhi.

Yeah, if Durant leaves, the Warriors will still be a championship caliber team, IMO, but not a dominant team as in the past. They would need to play at elite levels to get back, but even without Durant, I'd give them a shot against anyone in the WC right now. They might even be a dog against the Rockets, but for certain I'd have them ahead of everyone else (assuming Durant leaves for the East).

But major retooling is vital to sustaining any sort of championship aspirations. The Warriors haven't done well in getting young talent on this team like the Spurs did to extend their run. They can still be a great team and a year in and year out contender, but again, not at any sort of dominant level. They'd be on par with the rest of the league.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,593.48
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the evidence is there, and it's not just that game. Durant has been playing in a disconnected way, almost checked out. Taking less shots, playing less defense. It's not like 2017 when he was a man possessed trying to get his first title.

And that's not unusual, after you get to the top it's hard to keep the same fire. Pat Riley said it, maintaining a dynasty is harder than getting to one. All dynasties end with egos and complacency. How could they not?

*Obviously they aren't losing this series. But now Boogie is out, and if KD is like this vs Houston they will lose to the hungrier team

Which are the precise reasons I said he'd be able to flip the switch. He knows he's more than capable of carrying the team on his back...and my guess is he will as the series is now 1-1 instead of a "comfortable" 2-0. Maybe this will prove to be their/his wake up call.
But yeah...all those "well oiled machines" (dynasties) always need regular maintenance and upgrades to remain as such.

Feast or Famine.

*Ftr: Yes they are rightly favored..but it's not a lead pipe cinch guarantee they'll win this series.

Upsets Occur/Shit Happens

Last edited:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goal for the Warriors will still be to win championships. Keeping Klay would keep with that same thinking. I'm not looking to keep anyone, even Draymond who I love, just simply for nostalgia. Klay is one of the top 5 free agents in this class for a reason.
top 5 in the entire class? In the discussion, sure, but I think I'd have Kawhi, walker, Kyrie, Middleton and Butler ahead of him. Depending on need I could see Vucevic being in higher demand.

I just don't see Green/Klay/steph part 2 in their 30s being a title team again.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if Durant leaves, the Warriors will still be a championship caliber team, IMO, but not a dominant team as in the past. They would need to play at elite levels to get back, but even without Durant, I'd give them a shot against anyone in the WC right now. They might even be a dog against the Rockets, but for certain I'd have them ahead of everyone else (assuming Durant leaves for the East).

But major retooling is vital to sustaining any sort of championship aspirations. The Warriors haven't done well in getting young talent on this team like the Spurs did to extend their run. They can still be a great team and a year in and year out contender, but again, not at any sort of dominant level. They'd be on par with the rest of the league.
I think this is possible, but this isn't Green/Curry/Klay in their mid-late 20s anymore. and that is IF Green stays. would think he would, but not sure I'd pay him a max if that's what it took.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the only guy I can think of. And on top of that he's in a great place in Toronto, where they can max him too. There's really no fall back situation after Kawhi.
Butler or Middleton?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
top 5 in the entire class? In the discussion, sure, but I think I'd have Kawhi, walker, Kyrie, Middleton and Butler ahead of him. Depending on need I could see Vucevic being in higher demand.

I just don't see Green/Klay/steph part 2 in their 30s being a title team again.

I can get behind Kawhi, Kemba and Kyrie, no problem. You'd have no arguments with me there. But there's not one GM in this league right now that if given the option to choose between Jimmy Butler and Klay Thompson that wouldn't choose Klay. Not even a single one.

Middleton is good and would be a replacement for Klay, but certainly not better. Also did you know that Middleton is just a year younger than Klay? Klay is a 5x all star already and Middleton just made his first team. And I'm a big Middleton fan. But he's behind Klay as well if you're ranking guys.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is possible, but this isn't Green/Curry/Klay in their mid-late 20s anymore. and that is IF Green stays. would think he would, but not sure I'd pay him a max if that's what it took.

Both Klay and Draymond are 28. They have 4 years left in their prime of basketball years. Well at least that for Klay, arguably less for Draymond since he's seen some massive wear and tear by playing the way he does.