• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1 Forward, 1 Goalie.....

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lolcats-finish-him.jpg

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olympic MOST valuable player. Stanley Cup Playoffs MOST valuable player. And I should hope a steady feast of the Isles (and SE division) has Crosby score more points.

And btw, Henrik Sedin >>>>> Crosby. Look at the points last year. And MVP voting.

Toews, Sedin >>>>>>>>>>>> Crosby, OV.

Don't let homerism and seasons long past cloud your judgement.

I agree that OV is the best player in the game, and playoff results don't really matter.

But it can't be argued that anybody who plays hockey for a living had a better season that Toews.

My head just exploded.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you gave me a neg rep, nor do I care who did. I just wanted to respond to it since whoever did it didn't feel like addressing the issue in the actual thread.

I really don't agree with you're reasoning for picking Toews, but I wasn't arguing it. If I remember you went more with salary strategy or something. Not gonna argue that.

I was arguing whoever said they'd take Toews over Sid and Ov based on the fact he was Olympics best forward and the Conn Smythe winner.

I'm not belittling anyone, I just don't agree with taking Toews. He isn't as good. I only belittle people who say Jordan Staal is better than Evgeni Malkin.

Fair enough.

Gotcha, and believe me, I don't think it's a wrong choice to pick Crosby. He was my second choice (or 1st runner up).

Fair enough and I'd agree with you on that too.

Once again, fair enough.

I apologize for the misunderstanding, but I'm still picking Toews first :D

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Richards- Good leader, puts up solid points, plays both ends of the ice, plays PP, plays PK, argueably the best defensive forward in the game(no he didn't win the selke this year but he had a down year with the Flyers going through 57 goalies).

Chris Pronger- Future HoF D-man, great size and skating ability, great first pass and vision on the ice, has a good shot from the point, logs big minutes in all situations, and most importantly he will annoy, pound on, and eventually leave your forwards in rubble.(Honorable mention to Jay Bo here since I feel he is the newer version of Prongs minus the nastiness).

Ryan Miller- For all the reasons everyone else listed. He may just be the best in the game now, too bad he really doesn't have anyone in Buffalo to help him most nights.(Honorable mention Halak he's utterly sick and plays better when the ice is tilted his way).

Complete players along with strong leadership win championships boys and if I were to start a team from scratch these would be my picks.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you'd really pick pronger? is he good, heck yes, like you said, future HoF. but...the man is beyond his best years and on the back 9 of his career. i'd pick him a few years back...just me though.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he put down "Olympic MOST valuable player", which is a diffrent story.

Just wanted to throw it out there that it was THE MILLER is all. As a Sabres fan, we don't get many chances like these. :D

Oh absolutely, and like I said you are correct. The Miller was (in my humble opinion) BY FAR the best player in that tournament. I love Toews as a player, but as far as the Olympics went and a players importance to his Team:

The Miller

Toews

Everybody else.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh absolutely, and like I said you are correct. The Miller was (in my humble opinion) BY FAR the best player in that tournament. I love Toews as a player, but as far as the Olympics went and a players importance to his Team:

The Miller

Toews

Demitra

Everybody else.

Fixed:)

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you'd really pick pronger? is he good, heck yes, like you said, future HoF. but...the man is beyond his best years and on the back 9 of his career. i'd pick him a few years back...just me though.

Hell yea I'd pick him, he shut down everyone down in the playoffs until playing half the game everynight caught up to him, anyone who doesn't think Prongs is still one of the best in the league needs to rethink what they know about hockey, and like I said that edge he brings sets him apart(in my eyes atleast from lots of other D-men in the league). Now I'm not saying there aren't other good choices but I see Prongs to continue in Lidstrom's foot steps and keep up his high standard of play for at leas 4 more years.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, i agree that if i were to pick a team for, say a one year shot at the cup, than yeah, prongs would be there. i'm just saying that for this concept, maybe i misunderstood, it seems dangerous because he's, to put it simply, OLD. :) to each their own however.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I can see where his age can be a detrient but imagine having a D-man of that caliber even for 3-4 years to mentor the rest of your D. In that time he could help vastly improve good players in great ones. Not to mention the leadership value you get from him with the start of your brand new franchise :P

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sidney Crosby (Age 23 at the start of next season, Pos: C): Perhaps a homer pick, but I like his game, first and foremost, and his contract second.

He's good for 100 points pretty much every year, and he showed last year that he can fill the role of goal scorer as well. He's improved his all-around game, especially face-offs and defense every year he's been in the league and is still five or six years away from his physical prime, so there's no reason to expect anything but improvement. He's also got good leadership intangibles that should also improve as he gets older.

As far as his contract is concerned, it's only through 2012-2013, which would give me a chance to determine what his worth is in his prime and issue a contract at that point appropriate to his ability. It also means that I'm not on the hook for him for an extended period of time if something happens, including injury and underachievement. His cap hit isn't too bad versus his production, either.

Drew Doughty (Age: 20, Pos: D): He's only 20 years old, and he's already a premier defenseman in the league. He plays a complete game, and really opened my eyes at the Olympics. He's got talent for both offense and defense, and just brings everything to the table you want a defenseman to. He's also seven or eight years away from his physical prime, so he should improve steadily until then, and be a perennial Norris Candidate.

His cap hit's at about $3.5 million for next year, which is very low for his performance, and is an RFA after the season, which could help make signing his extension a little more reasonable than if he were due to be a UFA. As an RFA, I could see locking him up for 7 years at a cap hit around $5.5 - 6 million, which is very reasonable for his ability.

Tuukka Rask (Age: 23, Pos: G): Rask may not be a safe pick, because he's only got about two-thirds of a season of top-tier hockey under his belt, but at 23 and with a cap hit of only $1.25 million until being an RFA in 2012-2013, he's a young guy, cheap, and with room to improve. He's probably the best bang-for-your-buck goaltender in the NHL, and could improve that quality further over the next couple seasons.

Like Doughty, the fact that Rask is approaching RFA as opposed to UFA status could help matters in signing him to an extension. Once again, I could see a 7-year deal in the $4.5 - 5.5 million range. Maybe pushing $6 - 6.5 million, but even so, still pretty reasonable.

So going into next season, the total cap hit for these three players is $13.425 million, and after they are signed to extensions, could increase to something between $18.7 million and $21.2 million, which, given the core they represent, is a pretty reasonable cap situation.