• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1 Forward, 1 Goalie.....

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OV
Markov! (required homer pick)
Miller

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any of the members of the Mighty Ducks!
and heineken

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stamkos
kieth
tried to come up with something better, but miller really is the only choice

cant really decide between beers, but as long as its not coors i'm normally ok

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised so many people are picking Toews. He had a great playoff run this year, but he's never cracked a point per game in 3 seasons, never even registered 45 assists in a season, and isn't one of the 10 best forwards in the league today. Hell, he's not even the best forward on his team. No doubt he'll continue to get better, but so will Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, etc.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised so many people are picking Toews. He had a great playoff run this year, but he's never cracked a point per game in 3 seasons, never even registered 45 assists in a season, and isn't one of the 10 best forwards in the league today. Hell, he's not even the best forward on his team. No doubt he'll continue to get better, but so will Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, etc.

Eloco, I admit, a lot of it could be flavor of the month.....that being said, the kid has been successful (especially on the big stage) everywhere he's gone from World Juniors, Winter Olympics, Stanley Cup Playoffs, etc. And the more important part of that is that he's been a big part of the success. He was voted as top forward of the Olympics. He played a shut down role and still scored points against those guys. The kid plays his best when the lights are shining brightest. He's also only 22 years old. Then you factor in the type of leadership and maturity that this kid has shown at such a young age and that's what (ever so slightly) puts him over the top. I actually should have put in my honorable mentions Niklas Backstrom. Guy has a GREAT cap hit for even longer.

If I were to take the "win now" approach, I'd easily take Crosby or Ovechkin with no questions asked. I was looking into building more for down the road success (i.e. a 2 or 3 years) and keeping my cost down for the annual cap hit while being competitive in the short term. Ovechkin is awesome, bar none (of this, there is no dispute). Keep in mind though, Ovechkin has a cap hit of $9.538mil annually until he is 35 years old!!! As of right now, he's WELL worth the annual $9.5+ cap hit. However, with the style of game he plays, he's bound to have some injuries down the road. If they start occurring at age 30.....(for you Caps fans sake, I hope he doesn't.....plus he's fun to watch :D) you have a cap hit of $9.538 for the next 6 years. As for Crosby, I'd only have him for the next 3 seasons (Toews I'd have for the next 5 at $2.4mil cap hit less annually).....Toews gives me more flexibility down the road. You gotta figure that Crosby is going to get the same or more on his next contract. As for Kane, he has the same cap hit and overall is a more dynamic player, but he's also smaller, has off-ice issues and plays a less important position (wing as opposed to center).

Keep in mind, my choice is not necessarily the "right" choice or the end-all-be-all, it's just my opinion. And you know opinions are a lot like a-holes ;-)~

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Excluding Hawks fans, I can't believe someone would take Toews over Ovechkin or Crosby. Unless they just want to be different, there is no real reason to do so. The only reason to argue Toews over OV would be Toews has won the Cup, in which case take Crosby. Those two are on another level than Toews.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Excluding Hawks fans, I can't believe someone would take Toews over Ovechkin or Crosby. Unless they just want to be different, there is no real reason to do so. The only reason to argue Toews over OV would be Toews has won the Cup, in which case take Crosby. Those two are on another level than Toews.

Teams win the cup, not players, so that reasoning shouldn't be used in making your choices, right?

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams win the cup, not players, so that reasoning shouldn't be used in making your choices, right?

Yes, I agree. That's why I said "there is no real reason to do so" in why someone would take Toews over OV or Sid. But some people use the Cup as a reason, in which case there is no reason to take Toews over Crosby.

EDIT: The Cup could be used as a reason -- for players of about equal skill. If someone said they'd take Crosby over Ovechkin because Crosby is a proven winner, even if they think OV is a little more talented, then I wouldn't really have an issue (not just because I'm a Pens fan either). But OV is way better than Toews and Toews' Cup doesn't make up the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

dboy97

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stamkos
Keith
Miller
Guinness (Put some hair on your chest)

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I agree. That's why I said "there is no real reason to do so" in why someone would take Toews over OV or Sid. But some people use the Cup as a reason, in which case there is no reason to take Toews over Crosby.

EDIT: The Cup could be used as a reason -- for players of about equal skill. If someone said they'd take Crosby over Ovechkin because Crosby is a proven winner, even if they think OV is a little more talented, then I wouldn't really have an issue (not just because I'm a Pens fan either). But OV is way better than Toews and Toews' Cup doesn't make up the difference.

I agree Honus. Sometimes I feel people put too much emphasis on winning a championship. Granted it's not a bad thing but hockey like other sports are TEAM sports. There have been a lot of great players that have never won a championship. Hmmmmmm, sounds like it would be a good topic.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Honus. Sometimes I feel people put too much emphasis on winning a championship. Granted it's not a bad thing but hockey like other sports are TEAM sports. There have been a lot of great players that have never won a championship. Hmmmmmm, sounds like it would be a good topic.

Exactly why I chose Toews, because TEAMS win championships not individual players. I'd With Toews, I feel I'd have much more flexibility to sign another player (I'd have $3.288mil more to play with) to establish team depth. There's no harm in picking Crosby or OV as they are definitely head and shoulders better players than Toews......but they aren't head and shoulders better when the games matter the most. Toews can hang with them at a relatively big discount. Maybe paying Toews that $3.328 less in cap hit annually allows me to go pick up a goalie like The Miller with the extra 3+mil that I saved.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair points in your long post above, Filosofy. I agree more with Honus on this one, but you've argued your side very well and I respect that. Rep point!

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair points in your long post above, Filosofy. I agree more with Honus on this one, but you've argued your side very well and I respect that. Rep point!

popcorn.gif