• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1 Forward, 1 Goalie.....

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zetterberg
Doughty
Miller

Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'll take a shot.

F: Sidney Crosby - He proven that he can do whatever his team needs. If they have scorers, he can distribute the puck. If they need scorers, he does that too. He's also great on the shootout, which means he can literally win games for his team. He's also been on the penalty kill all year, which is a nice secondary attribute. He took a little less money to keep his team's core together, which makes me comfortable when it comes time to resign.

D: Tyler Myers - He does everything well. I don't think I have to elaborate.

G: Jaraslav Halak: I know it's risky since he's only coming off of one strong season, but I'll take the risk if it means the chance to get that playoff performance again. I want my team to win now.

Edit: Oh, and Molson Canadian!

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I forgot to add my beer pick.

I'm just trying to get drunk: Labatt.

I'm enjoying a few particularly tasty brews: Delirium Tremens.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laugh my balls off!!! :D

Missed this post the first time around.....is this your twisted idea of a vasectomy? :D

I still can't believe joo got 8 kids mang.

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm surprised so many people are picking Toews. He had a great playoff run this year, but he's never cracked a point per game in 3 seasons, never even registered 45 assists in a season, and isn't one of the 10 best forwards in the league today. Hell, he's not even the best forward on his team. No doubt he'll continue to get better, but so will Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, etc.

Toews can't be measured by just points. He takes (and wins) faceoffs, is infinitely better defensively than Kane, and sometimes is up against the top line of the opposition. And LEGIT leadership. He's the second F I'd take, behind:

F: Ovechkin. I don't care what the cap hit is. Pencil him in for 40-45 a year, most likely 50+ in a healthy season.
D: Doughty. Good, young talent that will be good for a long, long time. More of a physical presence than Keith.
G: Hard to argue with The Miller, however, Bobby Lou's cap hit at 5.33 isn't that hard to swallow

Beer: If staying with generic, fairly mass-produced stuff, give me a Labatt's Classic. A couple more bucks than Blue, but a significant upgrade. For micros, I'm all over Granville Island. Their summer rotation includes a hefeweizen that may be the best wheat beer I've ever had out of a bottle.

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree. Excluding Hawks fans, I can't believe someone would take Toews over Ovechkin or Crosby. Unless they just want to be different, there is no real reason to do so. The only reason to argue Toews over OV would be Toews has won the Cup, in which case take Crosby. Those two are on another level than Toews.

Didn't see much of the Olympics, I take it.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toews can't be measured by just points. He takes (and wins) faceoffs, is infinitely better defensively than Kane, and sometimes is up against the top line of the opposition. And LEGIT leadership. He's the second F I'd take, behind:

F: Ovechkin. I don't care what the cap hit is. Pencil him in for 40-45 a year, most likely 50+ in a healthy season.
D: Doughty. Good, young talent that will be good for a long, long time. More of a physical presence than Keith.
G: Hard to argue with The Miller, however, Bobby Lou's cap hit at 5.33 isn't that hard to swallow

Beer: If staying with generic, fairly mass-produced stuff, give me a Labatt's Classic. A couple more bucks than Blue, but a significant upgrade. For micros, I'm all over Granville Island. Their summer rotation includes a hefeweizen that may be the best wheat beer I've ever had out of a bottle.

Good picks dup, wouldn't argue with any of those picks (unless Honus, Boss or Eloco challenge me first :D).

As for the bold above, do you know, can you get that stuff in the states? Right now, my favorite (relatively) mass produced Hefe is Widmer Bros.

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe Granville Island (out of Vancouver) ships some stuff to Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. Not too sure.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see much of the Olympics, I take it.

Don't base my NHL franchise on a 2 week hockey tournament. Especially one with different rules than the NHL. Especially when certain clubs are stacked.

----
BTW whoever gave me the neg rep... No. OV and Sid have not won Olympic best forward. So what? If that's your deciding factor than: LOL. Toews has never hit 70 points in an NHL season. Sid had 72 when he missed over 1/3 of a year with injury. OV nearly scored that many goals in a year. Yeah. Toews has leadership blah blah blah. I'm certain the Caps and Pens are gonna be fine with OV and Sid as the respective captains of those teams. Toews is good defensively blah blah blah. His defense compared to OV and Sid's doesn't even begin to make up for his offense.

I like Toews. He's a great player. He had an amazing year. But....

OV, Sid

Toews. Even with his best forward at the Olympics honor. And his Conn Smythe playoff run that wasn't even as productive as Crosby's Cup campaign year.

(I'm gonna get another neg rep for this me thinks)

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Olympic MOST valuable player. Stanley Cup Playoffs MOST valuable player. And I should hope a steady feast of the Isles (and SE division) has Crosby score more points.

And btw, Henrik Sedin >>>>> Crosby. Look at the points last year. And MVP voting.

Toews, Sedin >>>>>>>>>>>> Crosby, OV.

Don't let homerism and seasons long past cloud your judgement.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
toews wasn't that fantastic by the end of the playoffs, his MVP award was all from the first 2 series. i mean, yeah, he got conn smythe and was AWESOME in the olympics...but i agree with honus, sid and OV are higher up, they've been more consistent on a higher level through out their careers. JMO though, no need to get snippy.

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree that OV is the best player in the game, and playoff results don't really matter.

But it can't be argued that anybody who plays hockey for a living had a better season that Toews.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olympic MOST valuable player. Stanley Cup Playoffs MOST valuable player. And I should hope a steady feast of the Isles (and SE division) has Crosby score more points.

And btw, Henrik Sedin >>>>> Crosby. Look at the points last year. And MVP voting.

Toews, Sedin >>>>>>>>>>>> Crosby, OV.

Don't let homerism and seasons long past cloud your judgement.

Was THE MILLER

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't base my NHL franchise on a 2 week hockey tournament. Especially one with different rules than the NHL. Especially when certain clubs are stacked.

----
BTW whoever gave me the neg rep... No. OV and Sid have not won Olympic best forward. So what? If that's your deciding factor than: LOL. Toews has never hit 70 points in an NHL season. Sid had 72 when he missed over 1/3 of a year with injury. OV nearly scored that many goals in a year. Yeah. Toews has leadership blah blah blah. I'm certain the Caps and Pens are gonna be fine with OV and Sid as the respective captains of those teams. Toews is good defensively blah blah blah. His defense compared to OV and Sid's doesn't even begin to make up for his offense.

I like Toews. He's a great player. He had an amazing year. But....

OV, Sid

Toews. Even with his best forward at the Olympics honor. And his Conn Smythe playoff run that wasn't even as productive as Crosby's Cup campaign year.

(I'm gonna get another neg rep for this me thinks)

Honus, just for clarity, I DID NOT give you a negative rep (even though I don't believe you think that I was the one that gave it to you). I have never given anybody a negative rep (and never will unless by accident); but then again, I don't really care much about the whole rep thing anyway.....posters here either like me or they don't.....who cares. As far as I'm concerned, you're a good poster.

That being said, no need to get all high and mighty and then turn around and be all butt hurt about something when people disagree. YOU were the one in posts 52 and 54 who said there is (paraphrasing) "no reason to pick Toews over Crosby or OV unless they are just trying to be different". That is just dripping with arrogance man. I guess I just don't measure up to your hockey acumen. I provided you guys with the reasons I made my decision and I even said that my way was not 100% right and that others weren't 100% wrong. I also even said that picking Crosby or OV would both be excellent choices. Whether you intended it or not, your posts basically belittle anybody who'd pick Toews over OV or Crosby (even though the Salary Cap still applies in my hypothetical). Come on man, you're better than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honus, just for clarity, I DID NOT give you a negative rep. I have never given anybody a negative rep (and never will unless by accident). As far as I'm concerned, you're a good poster.

That being said, no need to get all high and mighty and then turn around and be all butt hurt about something when people disagree. YOU were the one in posts 52 and 54 who said there is (paraphrasing) "no reason to pick Toews over Crosby or OV unless they are just trying to be different". That is just dripping with arrogance man. I guess I just don't measure up to your hockey acumen. I provided you guys with the reasons I made my decision and I even said that my way was not 100% right and that others were 100% wrong. I also even said that picking Crosby or OV would both be excellent choices. Whether you intended it or not, your posts basically belittle anybody who'd pick Toews over OV or Crosby (even though the Salary Cap still applies in my hypothetical). Come on man, you're better than that.

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honus, just for clarity, I DID NOT give you a negative rep (even though I don't believe you think that I was the one that gave it to you). I have never given anybody a negative rep (and never will unless by accident); but then again, I don't really care much about the whole rep thing anyway.....posters here either like me or they don't.....who cares. As far as I'm concerned, you're a good poster.

That being said, no need to get all high and mighty and then turn around and be all butt hurt about something when people disagree. YOU were the one in posts 52 and 54 who said there is (paraphrasing) "no reason to pick Toews over Crosby or OV unless they are just trying to be different". That is just dripping with arrogance man. I guess I just don't measure up to your hockey acumen. I provided you guys with the reasons I made my decision and I even said that my way was not 100% right and that others were 100% wrong. I also even said that picking Crosby or OV would both be excellent choices. Whether you intended it or not, your posts basically belittle anybody who'd pick Toews over OV or Crosby (even though the Salary Cap still applies in my hypothetical). Come on man, you're better than that.

I don't think you gave me a neg rep, nor do I care who did. I just wanted to respond to it since whoever did it didn't feel like addressing the issue in the actual thread.

I really don't agree with you're reasoning for picking Toews, but I wasn't arguing it. If I remember you went more with salary strategy or something. Not gonna argue that.

I was arguing whoever said they'd take Toews over Sid and Ov based on the fact he was Olympics best forward and the Conn Smythe winner.

I'm not belittling anyone, I just don't agree with taking Toews. He isn't as good. I only belittle people who say Jordan Staal is better than Evgeni Malkin.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are 100% correct IPW, but I believe he was referring to Toews winning the Most Valuable Forward in the Olympics.

Well, he put down "Olympic MOST valuable player", which is a diffrent story.

Just wanted to throw it out there that it was THE MILLER is all. As a Sabres fan, we don't get many chances like these. :D