• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1 Forward, 1 Goalie.....

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 Beer ;-)

and 1 Defensemen.

If you could hand pick any 1 Forward, 1 Defenseman and 1 Goalie to start a team, whom would you pick? Please take into account each of these players status with current cap hits, contract length, team control or not at end of contract, age, attitude, marketability, etc. How would you construct the leaders of your team? Go the youth route and build up or go the tried and true and win-it-all mode?

For me it would be

Forward: Toews (Age 22). I like his cap hit for the next 5 years ($6.3). He has a great resume in big games (Olympics and NHL Playoffs), as a Sharks fan I know the importance of having your best players be your best players when on the big stage. He plays center and can distribute the puck or score so he has a lot of versatility. He's a humble kid that shows great leadership qualities. For instance, after Canada won Gold in the Olympics, a reporter asked if he, Keith or Seabrook were going to tease Kane about his silver medal. He answered (paraphrased) "No and nobody else will either. They came this close to winning the Gold and they deserve to have their accomplishment acknowledged. If anybody does want to tease him they'll have to go through me first." -- The kid is all class. Only knock on him that I can find is that he hasn't scored a ton of points in the regular season on some pretty stacked Blackhawks teams.....but the kid is only 22.

Honorable mentions to: Crosby (too big of cap hit and a FA in 3 years); Parise (is a RFA after this season and is 3 years older than Toews and plays wing not center); Datsyuk (best all around player, but a little too old to start your team with in my humble opinion).

Defense: Weber (Age 24) I love the way the kid plays. He plays tough as he will hit, fight and can also clear the crease. He's only under contract for this upcoming season, but his cap hit is low $4.5 and he's still under team control (he's an RFA) after this season. I'd try to sign him to an 8 year, $40million contract extension that is front loaded (or something of that ilk). He's above average in his own zone and can play on the PK. He also is a hell of a PP QB with an amazing shot and can play big minutes.

Honorable mentions to: Doughty (Weber doesn't have the upside of Drew Doughty. However, Doughty is such a superstar that I feel his contract demands could get out of control. Weber seems much more signable in my opinion while not losing all that much in the skill department to Doughty. Also, Doughty doesn't have as much of an intimidation factor or physical edge as Weber); Keith (I really like Keith as a player as well, but having a guy who will be ages 35 - 38 with a $5.551mil cap hit doesn't sound as appealing.....especially with injuries to defensemen).

Goalie: Miller (Age 29)
: This was a tough one and I went in a little different direction than the other two picks. Miller is under contract for 4 more (in his prime) years at a pretty steep pricetag of $6.25mil. However, the guy has proven, in my estimation, to be a big game goalie. Not only did he play amazing in the Olympics, but he's taken two different Buffalo squads to the Conference Finals. The teams he led there weren't overly stacked and Buffalo constantly has budget constraints that don't surround Miller with as much defensive talent as other goalies. I know the recent trend has been to win with no-name cheap goalies, but Miller also has great marketability (Weber and Toews are about as marketable as tree bark, lol) and (supposed) great leadership qualities. I'd love to see what Miller could do on a bigger market team that spent some more money. The drawbacks are his age and pricetag, but at least I'd have him locked up during his prime years and if he doesn't lead you to the promised land, he doesn't have a ridiculously long contract that can't be traded.

Honorable mentions to: Rinne (has had some consistency issues and is a UFA at the end of the 2012 season); Rask (seen too many youngsters come in and dominate for awhile only to be backups or out of the league ala Raycroft and Jim Carey); Bryzgalov (is a UFA at the end of the upcoming season and benefited from a very stingy coaching strategy)

***Keep in mind that you guys don't need to explain in as much detail as I did if you don't want to. ;-)~

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
good thread idea.... lotta different ways to go here

F: Ovechkin. best player in the game, only 24, locked up forever. $9.5m is a lot of money, but with the way the salaries are trending, that might not be so expensive in 5 years or so. Toews is a good pick too - you forgot to add his World Junior heroics (We fuckin`did it!!) to his resume.
D: Doughty. the kid is simply a stud. He is someone you can build a team around. He was LA`s absolute best player in the playoffs (I didn`t see too many regular season Kings games, but he was dominating when it mattered the most). pay him whatever he wants, for however long he wants.
G: Luongo. yes it`s a homer pick. Cap hit isn`t really that bad ($5.3m), he has a lot to prove, and the talent to do it. He had a bad year last year, the worst save % of his career .... 0.900. not bad for a shitty year. career save% is 0.918 (for context: Brodeur`s is .914, Roy`s was .910)

beer: Molson Canadian. gotta be cold. (another homer pick)

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forward : Toews - He is smart committed and very low maintenance. He seems to always show up when it matters. HMs: OV, Duchene, Crosby.

Defenseman: Tyler Myers - No one knows how good this kid will be, but the league has literally never seen a D-Man this big with high end skill. Two more years on his entry level deal doesn't hurt either. HMs: Weber, Doughty, E. Johnson, Karlsson.

Goalie: Miller - Relatively young and hardworking; his lack of playoff success scares me somewhat but he's for real. HMs: Halak, Rask.

Beer: Guinness.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forward: Jed Ortmeyer
Defense: MA Bergeron
Goalie: Theodore

This will keep costs down and ensure that my team will get very high draft picks for the foreseable future. I will have a dynasty in ten years.

Beer: Great White (Loast Coast Brewery) it is a great summer beer.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F: Crosby. Cant argue that it's a solid selection. Top tier, will be for years, good cap hit for the production on ice, good leader, proven winner, etc. etc.
D: Weber. That shot...is redonkulous...young still, amazing skill, proven to do well in pressure situations (olympics). he's a stud and solid on both ends of the ice.
G: Miller...i tried to think of maybe a younger stud, but miller on a team with solid players in front of him would be epic. i want buffalo to get a big name up front because miller deserves it and he's in his prime NOW.

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
G: Luongo. yes it`s a homer pick. Cap hit isn`t really that bad ($5.3m), he has a lot to prove, and the talent to do it. He had a bad year last year, the worst save % of his career .... 0.900. not bad for a shitty year. career save% is 0.918 (for context: Brodeur`s is .914, Roy`s was .910)

Odd stat I found last week - Luongo is 2nd all time in career save % (behind Hasek). Even weirder - Tim Thomas is 3rd.

Here's the all-time list:

NHL & WHA Career Leaders and Records for Save Percentage | Hockey-Reference.com

The vast majority of the top 20 are current goalies. I've been trying to figure out why since I stumbled upon this. Is it because current goalies are that much better than their predecessors? Or is it because they haven't had their late career downslides? Goalies aren't like skaters - they can't be bumped to the third line because they're old and slow. They just don't get to play anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F- Ovechkin
D- Keith
G- Miller

Beer- Magic Hat :)

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nicklas Backstrom - A 22 year old version of Datsyuk signed at a reasonable cap hit through 2020? Yea, I think I got my top line center for the next decade.

Drew Doughty - Duh

Joacim Eriksson - Because I said so! (Rask if you allow backsies in a few years)

Sorry, I don't drink. I know a guy who knows a guy who likes the Eagles, who is coached by a guy who went to BYU. Therefore, I am half mormon. But I've heard good things about Sam Adams.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Odd stat I found last week - Luongo is 2nd all time in career save % (behind Hasek). Even weirder - Tim Thomas is 3rd.

Here's the all-time list:

NHL & WHA Career Leaders and Records for Save Percentage | Hockey-Reference.com

The vast majority of the top 20 are current goalies. I've been trying to figure out why since I stumbled upon this. Is it because current goalies are that much better than their predecessors? Or is it because they haven't had their late career downslides? Goalies aren't like skaters - they can't be bumped to the third line because they're old and slow. They just don't get to play anymore.

interesting list, thanks.

i think the higher numbers in modern day goalies (i wouldn't have pegged Tony O as sub .850) probably has a lot to do with bigger and better equipment, and better team defenses (keeping more shots to the outside, boxing out rebounds, etc).

that is interesting that Luongo is 2nd on the list at .918, though the highest he's ever been for a season has been .931. That's pretty impressive career consistency.
In addition, regular season career = .918; playoffs have been right there at .919.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition, regular season career = .918; playoffs have been right there at .919.

Unfortunately that includes moments of brilliance... and moments to forget. More important than save % is the timing of the save. It doesn't matter if you stop the next shot in a 6-0 rout, but it sure the hell does in a 1-1 game.