• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

05 Cobalt

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a valid scientific sample, it only samples CR subscribers, who are biased toward foreign cars in the first place.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a valid scientific sample, it only samples CR subscribers, who are biased toward foreign cars in the first place.

And people like you are biased towards your domestic vehicles. I know what my experiences are and why my mechanic tells me. That's all I need to know.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a mechanic. I have owned both, and have had far less trouble with american cars.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consumer reports is not a valid sample, unless you can prove that consumer reports readers are not biased toward foreign cars, that their maintenance practices are the same as someone who doesn't subscribe to CR. All it can tell you is the expierences of CR readers, who may or may not resemble the population at large.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consumer reports is not a valid sample, unless you can prove that consumer reports readers are not biased toward foreign cars, that their maintenance practices are the same as someone who doesn't subscribe to CR. All it can tell you is the expierences of CR readers, who may or may not resemble the population at large.

I don't give a shit about the consumer reports. Try reading my post before responding.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a mechanic. I have owned both, and have had far less trouble with american cars.

And my experience has been exactly the opposite. As has my dad's and my grand dads. Toyota and Honda are better cars. Period. There's a reason I've kept all my Hondas and Toyotas to at least 200k miles and I've had to get rid of any American car by 130k.

Last edited:

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And my experience has been exactly the opposite. As has my dad's and my grand dads. Toyota and Honda are better cars. Period. There's a reason I've kept all my Hondas and Toyotas to at least 200k miles and I've had to get rid of any American car by 130k.

Your dad and granddad are fags for driving poosie cars.

My old man put 350k miles on his Lincolns...while having just a little GDed class!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your dad and granddad are fags for driving poosie cars.

My old man put 350k miles on his Lincolns...while having just a little GDed class!

Yeah, I'm really not the least bit concerned what you think.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are shifting the burden of proof as well there Raider Bill. It's a basic logical fallacy that doesn't hold up. You make a claim with no proof, then ask others to prove it wrong. You need to prove YOUR belief that CR results are not representative, because that is YOUR claim.

The other fallacy you have there is using personal anecdotes with an isolated example instead of compelling evidence. Why should I believe your results when the results of 1.1 million others say the opposite?

AND IT ISN'T JUST CR.. Look at JD Power, look at insurance companies, results from warranty replacements.. In the US or overseas, foreign versions of CR. Foreign engine replacements.

And your reasoning makes no sense... You need a HUGE amount of only Japanese car owners saying "I have a lemon, but love Toyota so much for selling me this lemon, I want to say my car is great!" Why? That's where you need some proof. Thousands stuffing the ballot box.

What about CarMD which doesn't use surveys at all but only repairs and costs. Are they in on it too? Korea, Japan, Japan are their top 3. 4 companies with cars most likely to go over 180k miles, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Lexus. What about truedelta which goes off of trips to the mechanic? Or the UK testing which finds the same companies at the top?

I get you have had good luck. My guess is if anyone is skewing results, a mechanic's car actually doing better than the average person's MIGHT have a little to do with that?

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, the only problem threads in this forum are an Altima with electrical problems and a honda with a blown head gasket/cracked head.

raider bill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People that self report problems, are less likely to report a problem with the Japanese car due to confirmation bias... they bought the Jap car to have less problems, and are more likely to spit shine their experience owning it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blah blah blah. I'll buy what I want. You do the same. I know what my data says. I don't care what you think.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice article, granted that's 6 year old info for a site that only really started catching on a year before... Of their actual overall "worst vehicles" currently, 4 of the top 5 made in the US and 6 of the top 8. But why use relevant new data when we can cherry pick old outdated stuff that says what we want it to right?

read their website results...

Based on your own source you put up there,

Companies with most cars in carcomplaints.com "best vehicles" list...

#1 Toyota with 8 models (not including 3 more with Scion/Lexus).
#2 Hyundai/Honda tied with 5 models (not including 2 more with Acura, which would make Honda #2 overall)

Ford only has 6 model years listed (3 models), compared to 14 for Subaru, 9 for Nissan, and 11 for Mazda despite having over double the number of models in their lineup. Chrysler (including Dodge/Jeep) has exactly 0 "best vehicles".

How is this meant to prove your point when your own source says American Car's make up 80% of the absolute worst cars???

and Hyundai has 41 different model years of top cars compared to Ford/Chevy/GMC/Buick/Pontiac/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Lincoln/Ford/etc (the entirety of US auto's) combining for 35.

Seriously, 8 models from a single foreign company makes more than the hundreds there from all the US ones? This is your data here, your own source you want used.

Holy cow... Just noticed this. The us has exactly 2 car's (non truck/SUV) they call a "best vehicle". 09 Focus and 05 Park Avenue. The only two non-trucks the US makes that they consider a great reliable vehicle vs. about 40 overseas...

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice article, granted that's 6 year old info for a site that only really started catching on a year before... Of their actual overall "worst vehicles" currently, 4 of the top 5 made in the US and 6 of the top 8. But why use relevant new data when we can cherry pick old outdated stuff that says what we want it to right?

read their website results...

Based on your own source you put up there,

Companies with most cars in carcomplaints.com "best vehicles" list...

#1 Toyota with 8 models (not including 3 more with Scion/Lexus).
#2 Hyundai/Honda tied with 5 models (not including 2 more with Acura, which would make Honda #2 overall)

Ford only has 6 model years listed (3 models), compared to 14 for Subaru, 9 for Nissan, and 11 for Mazda despite having over double the number of models in their lineup. Chrysler (including Dodge/Jeep) has exactly 0 "best vehicles".

How is this meant to prove your point when your own source says American Car's make up 80% of the absolute worst cars???

and Hyundai has 41 different model years of top cars compared to Ford/Chevy/GMC/Buick/Pontiac/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Lincoln/Ford/etc (the entirety of US auto's) combining for 35.

Seriously, 8 models from a single foreign company makes more than the hundreds there from all the US ones? This is your data here, your own source you want used.

Holy cow... Just noticed this. The us has exactly 2 car's (non truck/SUV) they call a "best vehicle". 09 Focus and 05 Park Avenue. The only two non-trucks the US makes that they consider a great reliable vehicle vs. about 40 overseas...

truth-bomb.gif