• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

05/16 GDT: Tards @ Giants

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good mojo in this thread, I think.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long until Noggin moves Oxy to LF, Melkman to RF, and White Shark to CF?

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the funny thing, at least it was funny to me, was an inning or two after Pagan's fuck up, he threw a ball into the front row of the stands, a section over from me. the kid dropped it back on the field, and Pagan actually threw his hands up, and mouthed something. i almost yelled he catches like you. if it was Rowand, i would have.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the funny thing, at least it was funny to me, was an inning or two after Pagan's fuck up, he threw a ball into the front row of the stands, a section over from me. the kid dropped it back on the field, and Pagan actually threw his hands up, and mouthed something. i almost yelled he catches like you. if it was Rowand, i would have.

Did a Giants scout go over to get the kid's info?

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually, now that you mention it...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite line last night came right after ManBur dropped the popup. A guy stood up, about 50 feet from him, and yelled "WHY are you on the team?" Larry Baer was not amused.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite line last night came right after ManBur dropped the popup. A guy stood up, about 50 feet from him, and yelled "WHY are you on the team?" Larry Baer was not amused.

Nothing compared to Kruk on the TV broadcast...

"Huff can play 2B." The broadcast went silent for a solid 30 seconds, then they returned with no mention of it.

You just know they turned off the mics and laughed their asses off.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nothing compared to Kruk on the TV broadcast...

"Huff can play 2B." The broadcast went silent for a solid 30 seconds, then they returned with no mention of it.

You just know they turned off the mics and laughed their asses off.

I was sure I heard muffled laughter for a second.......

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long until Noggin moves Oxy to LF, Melkman to RF, and White Shark to CF?

So there's this from Pavlovic's blog:

Bochy reiterated after the game that Angel Pagan is his center fielder, even after he made another mistake tonight on Tulowitzki’s single that turned into three bags.

“I think he’s playing a pretty good center field,” Bochy said. “That’s a tough play and I want these guys to go all out. He was trying to make a play and it got by him. That’s part of the game where you want them to be aggressive.”

Oy. :kev:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So there's this from Pavlovic's blog:

Bochy reiterated after the game that Angel Pagan is his center fielder, even after he made another mistake tonight on Tulowitzki’s single that turned into three bags.

“I think he’s playing a pretty good center field,” Bochy said. “That’s a tough play and I want these guys to go all out. He was trying to make a play and it got by him. That’s part of the game where you want them to be aggressive.”

Oy. :kev:

One of the things that shocked me from the "Last 27 - Outs from the 2010 World Series" video, was Rowand playing CF, and Torres in RF. I'd forgotten how Bochy refused to put his best centerfielder in CF so as not to mess with the clubhouse.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things that shocked me from the "Last 27 - Outs from the 2010 World Series" video, was Rowand playing CF, and Torres in RF. I'd forgotten how Bochy refused to put his best centerfielder in CF so as not to mess with the clubhouse.

"The Clubhouse" is the giant pink rabbit that none of us can knowledgeably comment about. This, I think, plays a HUGE factor in all decisions, not just lineups, but lineups is where we do much of our bitching.

By sticking with the vet until the the decision is out of your hands, a consistency is established in all of these guys lives. The kids will get controlled time in less-stressful situations and the adults can relax into a groove since they have already proved it.

Also, egos exist. It is easier (and politically appropriate) to walk on the kids before you walk on the adults. Look what happened with Teh Nada and RoRo once they were CLEARLY demoted to roll players. They became cancers and needed to be booted almost immediately. What happened with the kids when they were given support rolls? Ishi became the best PH in the game and Nate was a stellar OF closer.

I am not saying I LIKE this, but these guys are human beings. They LIVE this stuff. It is not their hobby, it is their life. If they are handled with sandpaper gloves, the way we (myself BIG TIME included) scream for, more and more of them will go the way of Huff.

Boch is in the clubhouse. We are not.

He wins

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Clubhouse" is the giant pink rabbit that none of us can knowledgeably comment about. This, I think, plays a HUGE factor in all decisions, not just lineups, but lineups is where we do much of our bitching.

By sticking with the vet until the the decision is out of your hands, a consistency is established in all of these guys lives. The kids will get controlled time in less-stressful situations and the adults can relax into a groove since they have already proved it.

Also, egos exist. It is easier (and politically appropriate) to walk on the kids before you walk on the adults. Look what happened with Teh Nada and RoRo once they were CLEARLY demoted to roll players. They became cancers and needed to be booted almost immediately. What happened with the kids when they were given support rolls? Ishi became the best PH in the game and Nate was a stellar OF closer.

I am not saying I LIKE this, but these guys are human beings. They LIVE this stuff. It is not their hobby, it is their life. If they are handled with sandpaper gloves, the way we (myself BIG TIME included) scream for, more and more of them will go the way of Huff.

He wins

I agree for the most part, but come on Cal, we're talking playoffs (or in gp's case, the WS) here. They already told Zito "thanks but no thanks", I can't imagine that it would have been too hard to say "look Deucer, this could be the clinching game of the WS. We want more speed/coverage in CF, so we're going with Torres in CF and you in RF.....thanks in advance".....or something of that ilk.

:heh:

+++ Bochy's only won 18 games this year. FIRE BOCHY!!! FIRE SABEAN!!!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree for the most part, but come on Cal, we're talking playoffs (or in gp's case, the WS) here. They already told Zito "thanks but no thanks", I can't imagine that it would have been too hard to say "look Deucer, this could be the clinching game of the WS. We want more speed/coverage in CF, so we're going with Torres in CF and you in RF.....thanks in advance".....or something of that ilk.

:heh:

+++ Bochy's only won 18 games this year. FIRE BOCHY!!! FIRE SABEAN!!!

The point is, THEY WERE IN THE WORLD SERIES!!!

How many games had RoRo played in a corner OF spot in '10? I will give you a hint, ZERO! ZIP! ZILCH! NUNCA! NONE! NADA!

Do you REALLY want to abandon what got you there in the World Series? If RoRo had played his first game of the season in Left in the Series, and he made an error, can you even begin to imagine the shit storm?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He wins

Post of the week. Mad reps. It's good to be reminded we're all just idiots on computers, the guys who make the decisions see everything we do and then 100x more. They are trying to win even more than we want them to.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is, THEY WERE IN THE WORLD SERIES!!!

How many games had RoRo played in a corner OF spot in '10? I will give you a hint, ZERO! ZIP! ZILCH! NUNCA! NONE! NADA!

Do you REALLY want to abandon what got you there in the World Series? If RoRo had played his first game of the season in Left in the Series, and he made an error, can you even begin to imagine the shit storm?

I know, that's what I said to you. :)

Gotcha. No games at a corner OF position. This seems like a non-sequiter to my hypothetical though.....namely, how hard would it have been for Bochy to tell a struggling OF'er that you think there's a better defensive alignment with him in LF or RF as opposed to CF?

Playing Rowand in CF is NOT what got the Giants to the WS. The second part is valid.....but if (obviously neither of us know this) Bochy truly felt it would give him more coverage and better defense in the OF with Torres in CF and RoRo at a Corner OF spot and he abandoned it soley for the sake of team cohesion.....then I'd disagree with the decision. I wasn't advocating FOR starting RoRo at a corner OF position (you could substitute bench in for RF for all I care), I was just stating that it's the playoffs and they had already said "no" to Zito. Why go for locker room cohesion for that particular game with a player who had badly underachieved if you felt he wasn't the best fit in CF (maybe he did think RoRo was the best CF or at least the best OF setup involved RoRo in CF)?

Last edited by a moderator: